Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,256 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Bondag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
94chem said:

Anyhow, bypassing the nerve I apparently touched earlier, I found out that OSHA considers office transmission to be a recordable.

How?

You got Rona at work...

IrishTxAggie
AG
94chem said:

Anyhow, bypassing the nerve I apparently touched earlier, I found out that OSHA considers office transmission to be a recordable.

aTm2004
AG
TXTransplant
I think there are ways they can prove an outbreak (isolated cases may be harder to prove).

BUT - most of the big O&G and chemical companies play very nice with OSHA. The ones I am aware of even count contractor injuries in their RIR. So, it's not like they are going to try and hide anything (or tell OSHA to "prove it").

The safety culture can be a difficult thing to explain if you haven't ever worked for one of those companies.
Scruffy
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

A lot of RTW decisions aren't fully owned by the company... building owners are setting a lot of rules/guidelines that may be more stringent than what the company would put in place.
This is true.

For example...
Say every company has enough floor space to give distancing, that's great but the elevators can only transport 1-2 people at a time.
If just your floor has 100 people, that's 50+ trips.

My wife's company is WFH until early September then will look at phased return if needed.
Bondag
AG
TXTransplant said:

I think there are ways they can prove an outbreak (isolated cases may be harder to prove).

BUT - most of the big O&G and chemical companies play very nice with OSHA. The ones I am aware of even count contractor injuries in their RIR. So, it's not like they are going to try and hide anything (or tell OSHA to "prove it").

The safety culture can be a difficult thing to explain if you haven't ever worked for one of those companies.
IS RIR the same as TRIR?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Jackal99 said:

Diggity said:

jesus...some of ya'll can **** up a thread
New here?
This thread never ceases to amaze.
TXTransplant
Bondag said:

TXTransplant said:

IS RIR the same as TRIR?

It can be. Companies can keep track of RIR for contractors vs employees separately (and I would imagine most do), but can combine them as TRIR. Just depends on how the company reports.
Post removed:
by user
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Oh look, Turner has another opinion.
LostInLA07
AG
94chem said:

Well, that will shut down offices for the rest of the year.
aTm2004
AG
third coast.. said:

All we need for the Texags bingo is a mod to come in and edit 50 posts and put a warning on OP.

Don't tempt them, because they will do that and kill the "other" thread for a third time to make us abide.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Oh look, Turner has another opinion.
He can go ahead and **** right off with Dora. So glad that Abbott has trumped local bureaucrats.
aTm2004
AG
I was thinking last week about how he's handled this pretty good, especially compared to his county counterpart...then this.
Bondag
AG
aTm2004 said:

third coast.. said:

All we need for the Texags bingo is a mod to come in and edit 50 posts and put a warning on OP.

Don't tempt them, because they will do that and kill the "other" thread for a third time to make us abide.
Do we have a historian backing up that information just in case?
Post removed:
by user
ChemAg15
AG
He must have figured out how he could profit off a shutdown economy.
aTm2004
AG
2 words...NRG Hospitals.
cone
AG
some CYA from Sly
Mikeyshooter
AG
Pretty funny from Sly. The scientific facts are telling us to reopen the economy.
Post removed:
by user
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

aTm2004 said:

sts7049 said:

aTm2004 said:

Mine hasn't talked about a date yet, but they have talked about the possibility of changing the WFH policy with altering our current policy or making some positions permanent WFH. I can tell you one thing, after this, I do not want permanent WFH even though my position can be done remotely. I would prefer a rotating schedule where I'm in the office a week and WFH for a week, which would be the best of both worlds.
i'm sure you will be first to speak out at what a wuss your management is being about the whole situation
While you're too scared to question your leadership.

I think you're grossly over-simplifying the decision-making behind companies continuing to tell people to work from home.

The CVXs, XOMs, LYBs, etc of the world don't make money because people sit in offices and cubes all day long.

They are also trying to mitigate their risk right now - probably more so than any other time in history.

So, if leaving me (as an office-dweller) to continue to work from home indefinitely is what my company needs to do to focus on making the products that make us money, I'm not going to question anyone's leadership.

Regardless of my personal beliefs, it's not my company's responsibility to prove to anyone that the world is "safe" by sending us all back to work.

If having people WFH does not negatively affect the bottom line and mitigates some risk in the short term, that's what I EXPECT my company (and its peers) to be doing.

It's about money, not making some political statement.

I work for a major and they are expecting 25% back in open office environments within the next two weeks. They are phasing people back in to the office right now.
TXTransplant
Yep, that's been my understanding about what most are doing - a phased approach.

I say I'm WFH indefinitely, but not because my offices are completely closed. I'm just not part of the first wave, and no firm dates for the additional phases have been given.

I would imagine that anyone who can work from home will be told to continue to do so for as long as possible.
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

Yep, that's been my understanding about what most are doing - a phased approach.

I say I'm WFH indefinitely, but not because my offices are completely closed. I'm just not part of the first wave, and no firm dates for the additional phases have been given.

I would imagine that anyone who can work from home will be told to continue to do so for as long as possible.
I got the questionnaire so I guess either I was in this phase or they are just identifying people to be in this phase. Anyway, unless school ends early I have three more weeks of homeschooling to go so I am out.

And I don't need to be at the office...not all the time anyway. If masks are required, I don't want to be at the office.
TXTransplant
Same here - I don't want to WFH forever. But I also don't want to have to get up at 515 every morning and make myself look business presentable if I'm just going to sit in my office all day wearing a mask and doing work via conference calls.

I can do the same at home and get to sleep an hour later and stay in my pjs.

If anything, having us non-essentials in the building just makes keeping everyone else safe that much harder. The more people the harder it is to social distance, operate the elevators, more cleaning has to be done, etc.
gougler08
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Pretty funny from Sly. The scientific facts are telling us to reopen the economy.
Not for Democrats
aTm2004
AG
TXTransplant said:

Same here - I don't want to WFH forever. But I also don't want to have to get up at 515 every morning and make myself look business presentable if I'm just going to sit in my office all day wearing a mask and doing work via conference calls.

I can do the same at home and get to sleep an hour later and stay in my pjs.

If anything, having us non-essentials in the building just makes keeping everyone else safe that much harder. The more people the harder it is to social distance, operate the elevators, more cleaning has to be done, etc.
Yep. I don't think I've been in anything that hasn't been basketball shorts and a drifit shirt since all of this started. Putting on real clothes again is going to be an adjustment.
IrishTxAggie
AG
If the still fit! You know how many people are gonna be doing wardrobe shopping after the COVID15 effect?
Texaggie7nine
IrishTxAggie said:

If the still fit! You know how many people are gonna be doing wardrobe shopping after the COVID15 effect?
<shuffles to buy stock in Haggar and Catherines clothing companies>
7nine
TXTransplant
Funny, getting dressed for work is one of the things I miss. I enjoy fixing my hair, putting on makeup, and picking out what I'm going to wear. That's one of the reasons I know I don't want to WFH once this is over (and never have wanted a WFH job). I know too many women who do and literally don't shower or comb their hair for days. Over time, it messes with your mental health.

But I'm sure as heck not going to all of that effort to sit around at home all day! I do shower every day and usually at least put on work out clothes, though.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Over time, it messes with your mental health.

I've been working from home for eight years and....
TXTransplant
IrishTxAggie said:

Over time, it messes with your mental health.

I've been working from home for eight years and....

Haha...I meant the part about not getting dressed
or making yourself look presentable for days on end messes with your head. At least from the perspective of a woman. I think it's harder for us than men, but that's just my anecdotal observation.
aTm2004
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Big department stores are in cahoots with big fast food!
aTm2004
AG
You're a woman? Did not know that. It's great for us men. No shaving, just flick the hair back after brushing our teeth and we're golden. Going to the store? Grab a hat.
Fitch
AG
Houston area get ready for virtual school in the fall.
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.