Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,377 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for this plug!! New favorite site!
Texaggie7nine
I usually stick to the quickies and ending soon. Put in bids, you will be surprised how often a bid you don't think has much chance ends up scoring.

For the same reason, keep track of your budget. I've thrown around bids I didn't think had much chance and ended up having like a $150 bill at the end of the week.
7nine
chrisrrtx
AG
Any chance your daughter will be making some that are a bit more masculine or plain?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

drumboy said:

cajunaggie08 said:

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Tower Vodka. Its packaged and labeled to looks a lot like Titos and its usually on an endcap in bulk at Total Wine.
Question....is there a difference in tastes with Vodka? My wife usually get Tito's but it all tastes the same to me. I can tell a big difference in whiskey or rye, but I can't tell the difference with vodka, but maybe it's because the red bull/orange juice covers the flavor.
I don't drink vodka for taste really. Brown liquor I will discriminate on flavor all day.

To me, with vodka, the higher $ like Grey Goose isn't about actual flavor, it's about how smooth it is. If I drink a Grey Goose on the rocks by itself, it taste like I'm drinking ice water. Tito's is damn good for the price too.

If you want to see the difference, get a cheap ass vodka and get a Titos next time you go to the liquor store. Try em straight up and it's pretty easy to tell.
try Dripping Springs next time. I find it just about identical to Titos, but it is a couple bucks cheaper at Total Wine.
FHKChE07
AG
Typically, if I want vodka on the rocks, I drink Pravda. I found it at a vodka bar once and have loved it ever since. It tastes better than Grey Goose in my opinion and is cheaper. But if I am mixing it with something, there are much better options like Tito's.

I know what people say about how you can't tell the difference, but I have done blind tastings before and can tell the difference between things. Not saying that ultra-premium wine is necessarily worth it but the people that say you can't tell the difference between $2 wine and $40 wine are either drunk or have no taste buds.

IrishTxAggie
AG
I just wish we could get the Costco liquor in Texas. It's good, cheap, and the same **** as the big brands
gougler08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

I just wish we could get the Costco liquor in Texas. It's good, cheap, and the same **** as the big brands
I thought you could buy liquor at Costco?
IrishTxAggie
AG
gougler08 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

They have a liquor store attached to Costco, but they don't carry the Kirkland branded liquor which is Costco's.
aTm2004
AG
How do you guys drink vodka, whiskey, etc on the rocks? I've tried. Multiple times. I just can't. Even tried watering it down a bit. Nope. I have to mix whiskey with coke. Now, I'll admit it's more of a splash after a few, so maybe that's the secret. Even with mixing, there's a difference to me between brands, and Woodford is my go-to. My dad is the same way and has never been an on the rocks guy. Always mixes. His go-to is TX Whiskey.
chrisrrtx
AG
+1 for TX Whiskey
Texaggie7nine
A good way to work yourself up to appreciating straight bourbon is starting off with it over a lot of small sized ice so that it gets cold and waters down quickly. Work your way back from that over a matter of months to eventually larger pieces of ice.

Obviously try some higher ends to see where your taste is, but eventually you will find something that your palate will crave with very little watering down.
7nine
Velvet Jones
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

gougler08 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

They have a liquor store attached to Costco, but they don't care the Kirkland branded liquor which is Costco's.
The stores adjacent to Costco in Texas are owned and operated by San Antonio-based Western Beverages. in Most other states they're a part of the larger facility owned by Costco and selling their brands.
FHKChE07
AG
It is an acquired taste for some. But it is about finding what you like. I have helped many friends who said that they would never drink liquor straight find their taste. Just trial and error. Unfortunately, since it costs money people usually cheap out and that's not going to work very well. Find a friend to taste with or go to a nice whiskey bar when they aren't busy and work with the bartender to taste different things.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Gotcha. The only reason they're there though is because Costco can't sell their booze inside their stores in Texas.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am pretty sure the 1836 whiskey is a specs line. I like that much better than the TX stuff. Overall, I stay away from Texas whisky and wine. The Texas whiskeys haven't had time to age and get the flavor of the guys that have been doing it for 100 years. Maybe I will give it another shot in 5-10 years, but I don't want to pay what they are asking for green whiskey. And Texas wines are just not great. An odd varietal or very small batch might be good, but the climate and soil for producing most popular wine styles just doesn't seem to be a match. I will apply my funds to the west coast wines.

Now, Texas vodka and Texas beer are on point.
CowtownAg06
AG
I agree on the bigger Texas whiskeys, but there are some smaller distillers doing great stuff. Real Spirits in Blanco (part of Real Ale) put out a small batch line last year that is one my favorite bottle I've ever drank.
Velvet Jones
AG
Correct.

Sumatriptan
Staff doing work.
aTm2004
AG
Yep. Come on...I have thick skin and a sense of humor. In fact, not getting a response like that would make me worry.
IrishTxAggie
AG
aTm2004 said:

Yep. Come on...I have thick skin and a sense of humor. In fact, not getting a response like that would make me worry.
Must have been a Karen or Kyle that flagged it a bunch
Texaggie7nine
wat happen?
7nine
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
Hope you don't, because I found it funny.
The_Situation
I can't believe they banned the guy for that post. guess he should have used a few more "*". RK is easily my favorite poster.
aTm2004
AG
Did you get a ban? This isn't the COVID board.
cajunaggie08
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I am pretty sure the 1836 whiskey is a specs line. I like that much better than the TX stuff. Overall, I stay away from Texas whisky and wine. The Texas whiskeys haven't had time to age and get the flavor of the guys that have been doing it for 100 years. Maybe I will give it another shot in 5-10 years, but I don't want to pay what they are asking for green whiskey. And Texas wines are just not great. An odd varietal or very small batch might be good, but the climate and soil for producing most popular wine styles just doesn't seem to be a match. I will apply my funds to the west coast wines.

Now, Texas vodka and Texas beer are on point.
About 5 years ago I went to some whiskey tasting even put on by one of the rodeo committees and they had a few newer distilleries there showing of their product. One of them was telling me to try their 8 year aged bourbon despite be seeing on all their promo material that they were only open for about 2 years. So this caused me to ask, "well if you're only 2 years old, how do you have an 8-year-old product." I was told they buy it from one of the large gigantic distilleries from around kentucky and then cut it some local water. So in essence, much of the Texas whiskey you buy is either not aged long at all or is not a product they have made. Now that more time has gone by since the craft distilling business took off, more of them may have properly aged whiskeys now.
swimmerbabe11
This happens a lot in the first few years of opening a distillery. they make gin and vodka, and then they "finish" whiskeys so that they can have some level of income before the grain to glass stuff gets ready.

Tbh, I think sometimes the marketing for those finished whiskeys is disingenuous, but everyone does it.
cajunaggie08
AG
for not being able to drink straight whiskey? Well thats just a fact
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Also, once their own stuff is ready, you are basically getting their first real attempt. Like I said, I am going to give them a little more time before I become a fanboy. I do think it will eventually turn into a great product group and hope they succeed.

And now I am getting Rebecca Creek ads. Their stuff isn't bad, but they charge more than it is worth.
Bondag
AG
I just got a specs ad. Everyone should go there to buy their alcohol or to total wine.
jetch17
AG
Drizly FTW
Texaggie7nine
Oh yeah, that post got pulled? Shame. Need specialized mods that understand regular BSing on the tine board.
7nine
drumboy
AG
chrisrrtx said:

Any chance your daughter will be making some that are a bit more masculine or plain?
I'll repost if she does get some more plain fabrics.
Al Bula
AG
If I'm going with vodka, I definitely lean toward Stroyski

For whiskey, strictly Hobble Creek.
aTm2004
AG
Regular Tine board mod is on vacation our out with the 'rona (RIP), so a COVID/Aggieland mod is filling in.
First Page Last Page
Page 118 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.