Houston
Sponsored by

How smart are TXDOT planners?

9,011 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
Anagrammatic Nudist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reading definitions after talking out of your ass is better than not reading them at all I guess.
Mas89
AG
Already knew the definition but common sense does go a long way for me.
Please don't be butt hurt about the road flooding so often.

Just design more piers in the flood zones on the new segments please.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
I'm not designing any of it. Couldn't care any less about it flooding. Was only telling you why it and other roadways flood.

Common sense does indeed go far, much like you comparing an urban 12 to 14-lane, full-access, free, loop in Houston with a rural, 2-lane, limited-access toll road in remote Liberty County. Yep, common sense.
BBRex
AG
CDUB98 said:

Different topic / new string:

Mass transit to lower the numerator/demand.

Given the poor planning of Houston's past, mass transit seems more expensive than mass freeway....at the moment.

Has anyone done cost curves or analysis to find out that inflection point?
Part of the problem is that a mass transit system to lower demand will have to get multiple entities to sign off to really be effective.

Also, building light rail to both airports, The Woodlands, Katy and Pearland might really attract riders if you limit the stations between the ends and downtown to one or two key stops (something like Katy station to Energy corridor to downtown only), but you're going to take serious hits from Council members and others who are upset their "communities" were bypassed by the rail.

Despite my smartass reply, Your Friend has a good idea in encouraging telecommuting, but I'm interested to know what incentives he'd use to get companies to agree to it. Also, there are plenty of jobs where: a., you need access to materials you can't take home, or b., you work for people who don't trust employees to work without line-of-sight supervision. For governement employees who work at home, there starts to be issues of what equipment or devices are privy to things like FOI requests. As much as I like the idea, it isn't that simple.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BBRex said:

Also, building light rail to both airports, The Woodlands, Katy and Pearland might really attract riders if you limit the stations between the ends and downtown to one or two key stops (something like Katy station to Energy corridor to downtown only), but you're going to take serious hits from Council members and others who are upset their "communities" were bypassed by the rai.
this might turn out to be a 2 birds/1 stone situation. Think about the type of worker that commutes but would be a good fit for working remote Or telecommuting. What is the profile of that worker. So when you have them all telecommute, you can build the light rail in a manner that is useful for them (airport and weekend downtown/ballgame type trips) but also put stops in the "communities" you speak of.
aggie_sprt
TxDOT could defund SH 99 and leave it as a semi-circle instead of a loop

According to the story, no reason is being given and the vote is scheduled for the end of August.

Not sure how I feel about this. The Grand Parkway has definitely helped my commute (Live in Cypress and work in Katy) and made travel to and from Bush from my house much easier. But as I don't live or typically travel in the areas where the sections up on the chopping block are planned I don't know what the impact would be.

My other question is isn't this project effectively self-funded since it would be paid for by tolls, or more accurately the bonds taken out would be paid back from toll revenue from the entire system?

In the meantime, lots of noise about the I-45 "expansion" with Mattress Mack and County Commissioner Lina Hildalgo lining up againist it
Ciboag96
I think they've realized that for every yard of concrete poured, 100 families move from California to Houston instead of to El Paso.
schmendeler
AG
aggie_sprt said:

In the meantime, lots of noise about the I-45 "expansion" with Mattress Mack and County Commissioner Lina Hildalgo lining up againist it

So that tells me that the expansion plans were going to encroach on his parking lot or something since he mentions "pollution dust and congestion". Things he's never spoken out about before.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.