Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2019

41,740 Views | 311 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Crazy Ag 97
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Westbury (77035) - pending. No surprise. We are always last.
Diggity
AG
Strange that you're pending and I'm not. We're usually the same time.
Biz Ag
AG
No change in 77005
CDUB98
AG
Screwed us over royally with a land value increase only.

Up 7.02% on land only.

Used that as market and moved our appraised right up to it.

Dr. Doctor
AG

no land change

8.61% on improvements (although nothing happened)

jubally again this time I guess!

~egon
MrWonderful
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Nothing for my home in 77018 yet. Expecting a significant jump to an unrealistic value we could never get, as usual. Homes are sitting forever in Oak Forest. HCAD is such a racket.
Also 77018 - no increase for me. There's hope yet!
CDUB98
AG
IDaggie06 said:

Probably going to get hated on for this but I think it is dumb Texas has no income tax but instead such high property taxes. I'd rather have a low income tax and a low property tax.

This is such an easy way for the city to get substantially more revenue to waste, just increase everyone's property values.

No income tax is the way to go because you can move to a different house to reduce your tax burden.

You, likely, won't lower your income just to reduce your burden.

The problem here is the racket the appraisal districts have with the counties.
Martin Q. Blank
IDaggie06 said:

Probably going to get hated on for this but I think it is dumb Texas has no income tax but instead such high property taxes. I'd rather have a low income tax and a low property tax.

This is such an easy way for the city to get substantially more revenue to waste, just increase everyone's property values.
Illegals don't pay income tax.
evestor1
77532 - 18.3%
77339 - 18.8%
77336 - 0%
77336 - 0%
77336 - 0%

And my shining star for 2019 - I skirted certain increase on a new build from 2018 - hcad missed the mark by 50% - finally took them!
El Duke
evestor1 said:

77532 - 18.3%
77339 - 18.8%
77336 - 0%
77336 - 0%
77336 - 0%

And my shining star for 2019 - I skirted certain increase on a new build from 2018 - hcad missed the mark by 50% - finally took them!
Just wait until someone uses you as a comp, you will get flagged.
Scientific
AG
CDUB98 said:

Counties or ISDs?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
IDaggie06 said:

I'm interested in buying another property but the thought of paying 2.75% tax on it and not getting a homestead makes it not worth it to me.
If it's something you're buying to own as an asset, its the price of owning assets in this state. If it's a rental, just bake the property taxes into rent.
Quote:

These high property taxes also makes me not want to buy a more expensive house that I live in. I can't fathom living in a $600k house and paying roughly $17,000 in taxes a year.
You can always downsize or move to a lower value area. If the state was funded via income tax, you could never escape the burden.
drumboy
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

IDaggie06 said:

Illegals don't pay income tax.
Yes, they do unless they're working cash jobs. You can mark the argument they don't pay enough property tax when they put 10 family members in a two bedroom house.

Just checked my mom's house that we're renting in 77055 and the market/appraised value went up 30%. This building a house in the heights idea might not have been a good one.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
drumboy
AG
IDaggie06 said:

These high property taxes also makes me not want to buy a more expensive house that I live in. I can't fathom living in a $600k house and paying roughly $17,000 in taxes a year.

Crazy how my neighbors with houses close to and over a mil all send their kids to private schools too. I should have been a doctor or a lawyer.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Post removed:
by user
drumboy
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

We purchase a property once and then are taxed annually based on a "perceived" value. Crazy
At least it's transparent and there's a process to protest....and everyone should be protesting every year. I've had good results w/ HCAD (after using Jubally/getting repair estimates).

My brother has not had good results w/ Val Verde County and makes it sound like they're crooked out there in Del Rio.

CDUB98
AG
Scientific said:

CDUB98 said:

Counties or ISDs?

All the above.
TXTransplant
I made an interesting observation about a couple of the appraisals on my street (granted, n=2), but I was wondering if anyone has any insight.

Since Jan of this year, two houses have gone on the market - coincidentally, both of these houses saw a significant increase in their market /appraised value. Also, both of these houses now have a market/appraised value even higher than what they were originally listed for.

One house sold for 97.2% of list; the other is still for sale and has gotten a 1.6% reduction in price.

House A listed for $365k, sold for $360k, and is now appraised for $373k.

House B listed for $375k, has been reduced to $369k, and is now appraised for $376k.

So, it looks like HCAD used the list price of these homes to jack their valuations up. Now, an argument can be made that, if you list your house for sale at a certain price, then that's what you thinks it's worth, and HCAD is justified in raising your appraised value to your list price.

However, isn't the market/appraised value supposed to be based on the value as of Jan 1? If so, neither of these homes was for sale on Jan 1. Both were first listed in early February.

If HCAD is using list prices as justification for increasing value, wouldn't they be in the wrong here since they are using data that wasn't available until after Jan 1?

I know HCAD gets away with a lot, and they aren't really held accountable for anything, but it just seems unethical and flat out wrong to me to that they can use data from after Jan 1, 2019 to determine the Jan 1, 2019 valuation.
themissinglink
AG

Up 17.4%

Land increased 41.4% but improvements decreased 3.6%. All of our townhome complex's land is valued around $100 per square foot and the complex right across the street is valued at $65 per square foot.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
TXTransplant said:

I made an interesting observation about a couple of the appraisals on my street (granted, n=2), but I was wondering if anyone has any insight.

Since Jan of this year, two houses have gone on the market - coincidentally, both of these houses saw a significant increase in their market /appraised value. Also, both of these houses now have a market/appraised value even higher than what they were originally listed for.

One house sold for 97.2% of list; the other is still for sale and has gotten a 1.6% reduction in price.

House A listed for $365k, sold for $360k, and is now appraised for $373k.

House B listed for $375k, has been reduced to $369k, and is now appraised for $376k.

So, it looks like HCAD used the list price of these homes to jack their valuations up. Now, an argument can be made that, if you list your house for sale at a certain price, then that's what you thinks it's worth, and HCAD is justified in raising your appraised value to your list price.

However, isn't the market/appraised value supposed to be based on the value as of Jan 1? If so, neither of these homes was for sale on Jan 1. Both were first listed in early February.

If HCAD is using list prices as justification for increasing value, wouldn't they be in the wrong here since they are using data that wasn't available until after Jan 1?

I know HCAD gets away with a lot, and they aren't really held accountable for anything, but it just seems unethical and flat out wrong to me to that they can use data from after Jan 1, 2019 to determine the Jan 1, 2019 valuation.
Easiest protest ever. All you have to do is show them the closing docs and it gets reduced to $360. Realistically, they can probably protest it even lower.
TXTransplant
Quote:

Easiest protest ever. All you have to do is show them the closing docs and it gets reduced to $360. Realistically, they can probably protest it even lower.

Oh, I know that. It just seems completely wrong that HCAD jacked the value up that high in the first place. There was NO justification for it until those houses went up for sale in early Feb. The legit comps that HCAD should have been using (based on 2018 sales) should have been more like $344k for house A and $355k for B.

I just hate that HCAD makes a set of rules that they don't follow. List prices from Feb 2019 should be irrelevant to the Jan 1 value, but it's just too much of a coincidence that HCAD valued those homes at their list price.
Diggity
AG
I would doubt HCAD is using list prices to value properties.

drumboy
AG
Me too. At your protest you'll see their comps anyway.

MyMamaSaid
AG
14% increase in 77007
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

I would doubt HCAD is using list prices to value properties.

Well, maybe I need to get myself a tinfoil cowboy hat for this one. It really seemed like too much of a coincidence to me, but I trust your thoughts.
TXTransplant
drumboy said:

Me too. At your protest you'll see their comps anyway.

Last time I protested, I did it online and won, so I didn't see their comps. Sure would be interesting considering the spread on my street. Looking at the numbers, you'd think they just assign values randomly. There are houses that are pretty much identical but valued $30k+ differently.
MAS444
AG
12% in 77009
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Same boat.
77018 is hose job city.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
agdaddy04
AG
6% in 77389 here
BBRex
AG
8 percent in 77040.
12thAngryMan
AG
No change in 77008 here.
12th Man Ag
AG
Down 2% in Fall Creek (77396).
Crazy Ag 97
AG
12thAngryMan said:

No change in 77008 here.
What?!? I wish! Over 20% for me and even more on all the properties I was planning on using as comps in my protest.
Caliber
AG
77043 - up 2.5% market, Appraised caught up this year with a 7.5% increase.

Previous big increase was land, so no way to fight really. I also am still a good comp for my neighbors, Always been in the bottom 10% of value/sqft. No obvious reason why, I have an average house in the hood, inside and out.
07fta07
AG
Down 3% in 77065. All on improved, no land change.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.