Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2019

41,548 Views | 311 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Crazy Ag 97
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still pending.

Guess I don't have to pay this year
Aggie71013
AG
Closed on a house in December. HCAD appraised market value at 15% more than I paid for it. Protest already sent.
Bondag
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Closed on a house in December. HCAD appraised market value at 15% more than I paid for it. Protest already sent.

You are screwed. Assessment is based on January 1 value.
713_Ag
AG
Closed on a house in January and renovated prior to moving in. Received a letter in the mail not too long ago from HCAD asking for information regarding the newly purchased home (purchase price, etc.), so they could "provide a more accurate valuation". There is also a section asking if there have been any renovations made and the cost of those renovations. How would y'all go about this?
Martin Q. Blank
713_Ag said:

Closed on a house in January and renovated prior to moving in. Received a letter in the mail not too long ago from HCAD asking for information regarding the newly purchased home (purchase price, etc.), so they could "provide a more accurate valuation". There is also a section asking if there have been any renovations made and the cost of those renovations. How would y'all go about this?
Throw it in the trash.
94chem
Martin Q. Blank said:

713_Ag said:

Throw it in the trash.
Same thing I'll do when the communists send me a letter asking about my church membership.
94chem
713_Ag said:

The same way the wise men did when Herod asked where Jesus was, so he could "worship him too."
Caliber
AG
713_Ag said:

Trash can. Then do the same things with the next one. And the same thing with any other one they send out.
E
AG
77018 - Have been using O'Connor for a few years and got my results back today. Last years $212.5K, this year raised full 10% to $233.75K, and final 2019 was lowered to $211,915 after hearing. Only thing I did different this year was told O'Connor that my house is 2 bedroom and not a 3 bedroom like it says on HCAD.

Bondag
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
Down 10% in Meyerland. That's a 16% drop since 2014 with adding a pool in 2017.
Post removed:
by user
K Bo
AG
Just got an email from HCAD that they're revising my 2019 appraisal value down to that of 2018. I suppose I made a compelling case when I filed my protest or it's because my house is listed for sale well below their "market" value and appraised value. In any event, I'm wondering if I should still have O'Conner try to protest it lower or take my 2019 savings and be happy?
Dr. Faustus
AG
Filed protest online and got my settlement offer yesterday. Their offer is 2% below last year's appraisal value after initially raising it 7% this year before I protested. Crooks, the lot of them.
drmwvr
AG
Still pending in 77079
AgLiving06
AgLiving06 said:

Still pending.

Guess I don't have to pay this year

I guess my comments angered the HCAD gods.

12% increase in Westbury.

Will be protesting.
tlh3842
AG
Some how I completely forgot I hadn't received an appraisal from HCAD this year yet, and just checked online to see it's still pending for 77095.

Anyone else still pending? I haven't been keeping up, but maybe this is in regards to the tax reform noted above?
MAS444
AG
Still pending in 77009.
AgLA06
AG
Still pending in 77018
PincheDriller
AG
Market Increase: 17.8%
Appraisal: limited to 10%

Been lucky so far since I moved in 2014 I haven't had an increase.
Tom Hagen
AG
Still waiting in 77096. I guess the 5/15 deadline to protest will be waived.
tamuags08
AG
77429 --> improvement appears to have risen 24.5% from last year. Land value remains the same. Homestead exception is in place, which I thought capped the max increase at 10%?
Diggity
AG
You looking at market value or appraised value?
tamuags08
AG
Not entirely sure.

Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Did you buy the property in 2018?
JJxvi
AG
New improvements also arent subject to the 10% cap. Did you add square footage?
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
It doesn't sound like he made new improvements, just that the improvement portion of his value jumped 20+ %.

I'd guess he bought the house in 2018.
Diggity
AG
yeah, it would have to be one of those two things
tamuags08
AG
Yes we bought the house in 2018. The value they have listed is more than we paid though.

Is there a chance in hell I can get it lowered to below what we paid?
Diggity
AG
you should be able to do a protest online and upload your closing docs to get the value lowered to the purchase price.
JJxvi
AG
Its a pretty slam dunk case to get it lowered to exactly what you paid if you just give them your closing statement.

Do you think the house is worth less than what you paid? They almost certainly will not change it at all unless you provide your closing statement with the price (they know you bought it, if they dont already know what you paid, and you refuse to give them the price they will assume its because you paid more), then you will have to bring some pretty stiff evidence (like repair estimates or something and you will have to say you didnt know about it when you bought it or something like that). Even then youll likely end up having to attend a formal hearing and convice a 3 person ARB panel of that.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
tamuags08 said:

Yes we bought the house in 2018. The value they have listed is more than we paid though.

Is there a chance in hell I can get it lowered to below what we paid?
Submit (electronically or in person) your purchase statement and they'll reduce the value to purchase price. It's possible to get below purchase price but not likely.

Your 10% appraisal cap will be in place for next years value.
PoopKing
AG
What's everyone's experience of success at informal hearing vs formal?
sawemoffshort07
AG
5 of 6 getting the number Jubally provides. The 6th, got 2/3 the way there. Never had to go to formal
TefIon Don
AG
Anyone still waiting on their appraisal?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.