Houston
Sponsored by

WTH is it with improper left hand turns?

7,288 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
Broba Fett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I try to do things the correct way I get horns blaring, 1 finger salutes, and sometimes yelling out the windows. Why is this such a hard concept?

LPHA
AG
People are idiots.
Jackal99
AG
LPHA said:

People are idiots.
This is what most of the problems in life boil down to. People are ****ing idiots.
Martin Q. Blank
The right is better, but how are cars supposed to line up to turn left in that situation?
Texaggie7nine
Martin Q. Blank said:

The right is better, but how are cars supposed to line up to turn left in that situation?
That is where I see this break down. When you have 3 or 4 cars in each left hand turn lane wanting to turn each direction, there's no sane way to get everyone to coordinate crossing paths, PLUS having to deal with cars coming perpendicular wanting to turn left onto the road.
7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
thought this was going to be about people turning left from the middle lane in a non-turning lane
agnerd
AG
We've been over this. Right is ONLY correct if the median is 30' wide or more. It's in the MUTCD.

TxDOT Design Manual

Ducks4brkfast
AG
agnerd said:

We've been over this. Right is ONLY correct if the median is 30' wide or more. It's in the MUTCD.

TxDOT Design Manual

What about roundabouts? Is the vehicle in the inside circle allowed to exit the roundabout from the inside circle, crossing over the outside circle?
agnerd
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

What about roundabouts? Is the vehicle in the inside circle allowed to exit the roundabout from the inside circle, crossing over the outside circle?
Never designed a roundabout and don't know which section of the manual it is in, but I think it's the same rules as any other road. You have the right of way only in the lane you are in. Inside circle driver has to yield to drivers already in the outside circle, but has right-of-way over anyone entering the circle from a connecting street.
Jack Cheese
AG
My bigger problem is just idiots who have no earthly clue what right-of-way means. They have no idea how it works. Some will yield it unpredictably. Others will take it inappropriately. Feels like I'm driving in Mogadishu most days.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Jack Cheese said:

My bigger problem is just idiots who have no earthly clue what right-of-way means. They have no idea how it works. Some will yield it unpredictably. Others will take it inappropriately. Feels like I'm driving in Mogadishu most days.

this is what HISD and other ****ty public schools will turn out....year after year, decade after decade . ******s everywhere
Post removed:
by user
Velvet Jones
AG
agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

Thank God ****ing TxDong of all government organizations is here to tell us how **** needs to be done.
12th Man Ag
AG
Where do we park our car while measuring the width of the median?
94chem
agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

Didn't you say that backwards?
Win At Life
AG
94chem said:

agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

I think the reverse is backwards if you are saying the right is right and the left is wrong.
Jackal99
AG
Jack Cheese said:

You ever seen a four-way stop in Pearland with a car at each sign? Makes those people lose all damn sense.
Jack Cheese
AG
Jackal99 said:

Jack Cheese said:

You ever seen a four-way stop in Pearland with a car at each sign? Makes those people lose all damn sense.

Four-way stops are always dicey no matter where you live, in my experience. Where Houston is unique is where you have a 2-way stop with a divided road running through, and ruhtards/canadians/pendejos are completely flummoxed by this situation.

Daily... DAILY... I see people on the divided road stop, with no stop sign, and yield right of way to people stopped on the cross street. And I also see foolios pulling out from the cross street in front of me on the divided road where I have no stop sign.

I used to get severe road rage and want to just plow into them. Now I go to my zen place and just try to drive defensively, assuming that all cars around me have no concept of road laws.
combat wombat™
AG
People trying to be "nice" and yielding the right-of-way (when they have the right of way) is very annoying. It slows things way down. Just GTFO of the way so that I can go and not worry about what you might be doing.
Jack Cheese
AG
combat wombat said:

People trying to be "nice" and yielding the right-of-way (when they have the right of way) is very annoying. It slows things way down. Just GTFO of the way so that I can go and not worry about what you might be doing.

I literally hate anyone who does this.

OK, not really. But sort of.
jamesf
AG
combat wombat said:

I will wait those people out in a game of reverse chicken until they properly take their right of way.
Forum Troll
AG
agnerd said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

Never designed a roundabout and don't know which section of the manual it is in, but I think it's the same rules as any other road. You have the right of way only in the lane you are in. Inside circle driver has to yield to drivers already in the outside circle, but has right-of-way over anyone entering the circle from a connecting street.
I live in a neighborhood with a roundabout and there are plenty that don't know how to use this particular one (2 lane boulevard with 1 lane crossing street). The outside lane in the roundabout either goes right or straight and the inside lane either goes left or straight (and its clearly labeled on the street AND a sign) but often people in the outside lane will cut off the inside lane so they can go left and act like they didn't do anything wrong. Extremely frustrating.
combat wombat™
AG
Roundabouts dont have left hand turns. Two perpendicular streets meet at a roundabout. If you want to turn left from one to the other, you have to turn right onto the roundabout exit the roundabout by turning right at the 3rd street.
agnerd
AG
94chem said:

agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

I was referring to OPs images when I said "right". Image I linked shows proper that sometimes you go left of other turning traffic, sometimes you go right of other turning traffic.
agnerd
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Where do we park our car while measuring the width of the median?
They're usually much shorter or much wider than 30'. Corolla is 15' long, so if there's room for 2 of them, stay right. Medians that are wider than 30' should also have a yellow line painted on the road. No need to stop and measure.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
jamesf said:

combat wombat said:

I will wait those people out in a game of reverse chicken until they properly take their right of way.
ahhh, the old Mexican Standoff. Move to San Antonio if you really enjoy folks not going when it's their turn.
88jrt06
AG
agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

Thank you!
88jrt06
AG
Jackal99 said:

Jack Cheese said:

At that point, I shift to reverse.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
thought the same
AgCPA95
AG
Broba Fett said:

If I try to do things the correct way I get horns blaring, 1 finger salutes, and sometimes yelling out the windows. Why is this such a hard concept?

Since we have an explanation on this, what if you have cars on each side road making left turns? Do both cars come straight out, yield, then complete their left turn or do you "cut-across", yield then complete your left turn? Confusion on this seems to be the cause of many near-misses in my neighborhood. Does the median width rule still apply?

schmellba99
AG
Jackal99 said:

Jack Cheese said:

Jesus Christ, a straight road with 2 lanes in each direction makes people lose all damn sense, a 4 way stop might as well be quantum physics for most.
schmellba99
AG
agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

Screw that, the image on the left is the only correct way no matter what. TXDOT can eat a D - they can't decide if service or frontage roads are 1 way or 2 way or cant' even make overpasses/cloverleaf turns uniform, so screw them.
aggiepublius
AG
Except it isn't just TXDOT. MUTCD is the standard for North America and even a few other places.

As to the frontage roads, you may have a point.
Jock 07
AG
*feeder roads
htxag09
AG
schmellba99 said:

agnerd said:

TxDOT Design Manual

Screw that, the image on the left is the only correct way no matter what. TXDOT can eat a D - they can't decide if service or frontage roads are 1 way or 2 way or cant' even make overpasses/cloverleaf turns uniform, so screw them.

Yeah. I feel like the "narrow median" example over complicates it. What about cars crossing the road with a median? They're going to be on the right side of the median. Not the left.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.