agnerd said:

htxag09 said:

Correct. But you can have the situation where a car from the left crosses the southbound lanes as there is no traffic, but stops in the median as there is northbound traffic. He's going to be on the right side of the median. Then a car going northbound wants to turn left....
If turning left across a "narrow median" road, you're not supposed to cross until you can safely cross ALL the way over. You're not supposed to stop in the median unless it's a wide median road. Yes that means you might have to wait for a long time or a VERY long time, but the amount of time the driver has been waiting doesn't alter right-of-way rules despite what most Houston drivers seem to think!

Sometimes you have to do this because you can't see the traffic coming from the other direction. In Kingwood we have several intersections where the median is marginally wide enough to accommodate one car, so I cross to it so I can see what's coming. I'm of course in the right hand side of the median, technically wrong. At this point they can't widen the median. However, they could take down trees. In some spots, even if they remove trees, you still have to anticipate yielding because even if it looks clear, somebody can be going 70 and kill you. The point is that sometimes you get stuck on the wrong side of a narrow median; it just happens.