Houston
Sponsored by

El Tiempo having cash problems?

18,089 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ciboag96
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sh*t if I know, I'm just on OTL old balls yo yo these days ... but prolly
Aggie09Derek
AG
David_Puddy said:

jetch17 said:

Yep, did a drive by and settled for westheimer for afternoon beveraging

El Real down the street from the old 1308 goes pretty hard.

Can confirm.

I didn't like it when it first opened but it's been great the last handful of times I've been.
IDaggie06
AG
I bought the gold VIP ($1,000) a couple months ago. It was definitely an impulse buy but I love it. I've taken friends and family a couple times on Friday nights and the most I've had to wait is about 5 minutes when the normal wait was over 45 minutes. .

My lifestyle is FAR from a VIP in anything (I don't keep up with the Jones's) but not going to lie, this card feels kinda cool when going there on a busy night and not having to wait.

There isn't an expiration date but I predict I will go through the $1,500 in about 18 months.

It may not be a great financial decision, but I get value out of it so it's worth it. There is also one about 5 minutes from my house.

David_Puddy
AG
IDaggie06 said:

I bought the gold VIP ($1,000) a couple months ago. It was definitely an impulse buy but I love it. I've taken friends and family a couple times on Friday nights and the most I've had to wait is about 5 minutes when the normal wait was over 45 minutes. .

My lifestyle is FAR from a VIP in anything (I don't keep up with the Jones's) but not going to lie, this card feels kinda cool when going there on a busy night and not having to wait.

There isn't an expiration date but I predict I will go through the $1,500 in about 18 months.

It may not be a great financial decision, but I get value out of it so it's worth it. There is also one about 5 minutes from my house.

Getting that much of a discount on food is definitely well worth it......especially if you go fairly often.
htxag09
AG
Figured I'd bump this thread.

Just got an email from El Tiempo about investing:

Quote:

You are invited to be part of our private placement offering. The offering is only open to accredited investors under a Reg D exemption to the Securities Act (Rule 506(c) and will be comprised of up to 500 Convertible Promissory Notes at ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars per Note. This represents a loan to El Tiempo Restaurants that can be conditionally converted into ownership interest within El Tiempo Restaurants. The Note will bear 10 to 12% interest until conversion.

The funds will be used to replenish working capital reserves expended during our 2022 expansion which helped recover losses from the pandemic.
Seems their VIP program didn't help with cash flow enough
Irish 2.0
htxag09 said:

Quote:

You are invited to be part of our private placement offering. The offering is only open to accredited investors under a Reg D exemption to the Securities Act (Rule 506(c) and will be comprised of up to 500 Convertible Promissory Notes at ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars per Note. This represents a loan to El Tiempo Restaurants that can be conditionally converted into ownership interest within El Tiempo Restaurants. The Note will bear 10 to 12% interest until conversion.

The funds will be used to replenish working capital reserves expended during our 2022 expansion which helped recover losses from the pandemic.
Pretty sure the VIP program wrapped up in 2019. Sounds like they depleted their reserves on expansion and COVID related losses and this $5MM will be used to replenish and further expand.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
nm
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
drumboy
AG
Anyone been to the new 2 story patio location on Fry? Seems like a nice day to kill 5 margaritas outside.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
IDaggie06
AG
htxag09 said:

Quote:

I'd be interested in investing in that... I wonder how they picked their target audience. I purchased two of the VIP cards a few years ago so I would think I'd be on their list.

EDIT:

"What is an accredited investor under Regulation D?
In the U.S, the definition of an accredited investor is put forth by SEC in Rule 501 of Regulation D. 2. To be an accredited investor, a person must have an annual income exceeding $200,000 ($300,000 for joint income) for the last two years with the expectation of earning the same or a higher income in the current year ..."

Oops, I will crawl back into my cave. Rich people get to have all the fun.
jh0400
AG
htxag09 said:

Quote:

What's the minimum check size?
LondonAg89
AG
$50K
Diggity
AG
htxag09 said:

Quote:

those *******s aren't even honoring their previous VIP program.

I want me free Tres Leches!
Chewy
AG
It's basically a loan with an annual return of 10% for 60 months and then your principal is returned.

This is an opportunity to convert to stock if they go public but doubt that happens. It's been a while since I read it but think the value for conversion is set at $45 million so any valuation above that you'd benefit from.

They started with the Platinum people and then obviously didn't get enough participation so they went Gold and now I think they're doing anyone they have an email for.

I'm hoping they give those of us with a VIP card a chance to re-charge since it doesn't seem people are jumping on this opportunity.

I feel like the initial email went out 6 months ago.

Edit:

Just remember the payout options are:
1) $100 per month for every $10K for 60 months and then your $10K back.
2) $70 AND a $50 ET Gift Card for 60 months and then your $10K back.

I'm not investing because I require a higher Fajita/Rita ROI than currently offered. They spoiled us with the ROI on the VIP cards.

A $50 gift card a month to hold my $10K for five years ain't gonna cut it.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Chewy said:

It's basically a loan with an annual return of 10% for 60 months and then your principal is returned.

This is an opportunity to convert to stock if they go public but doubt that happens. It's been a while since I read it but think the value for conversion is set at $45 million so any valuation above that you'd benefit from.

They started with the Platinum people and then obviously didn't get enough participation so they went Gold and now I think they're doing anyone they have an email for.

I'm hoping they give those of us with a VIP card a chance to re-charge since it doesn't seem people are jumping on this opportunity.

I feel like the initial email went out 6 months ago.

Edit:

Just remember the payout options are:
1) $100 per month for every $10K for 60 months and then your $10K back.
2) $70 AND a $50 ET Gift Card for 60 months and then your $10K back.

I'm not investing because I require a higher Fajita/Rita ROI than currently offered. They spoiled us with the ROI on the VIP cards.

A $50 gift card a month to hold my $10K for five years ain't gonna cut it.
Or if they go belly up and have to restructure in C11.
Diggity
AG
So to answer the OP.... El Tiempo is, in fact, having cash problems.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Hmmm….Risk free US I Bonds at 9.62% or Basically Risk Free Margarita Bonds for 10% ? No way this could go wrong, right? It's not like the owners of El Tiempo have a history of bankruptcy or default, right?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Al Bula
AG
No way in hell I'd invest in a restaurant this way. I've had some great times at el tiempo and some above average meals. If ET goes belly up, it will be a Seinfeld "That's a shame" moment and nothing more.

It's really not that great.

tommyjohn
I am not in finance or commercial lending but did once stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

If a company is going to their customers and trying to raise capital...probably not the best sign they are in good overall financial health.

Tells me every bank turned them down and this is a last resort.

drumboy
AG
I invested in Saint Arnold in 08 when they were raising capital for the 'newery' and the issue was they had to put down 10-20%. This was a private common stock investment so maybe different from El Tiempo, I think Buffalo Brewery was similar to El Tiempo's and they are having problems paying dividends.

Saint Arnold investment has done well and I've got lots of free beer.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Diggity
AG
drumboy said:

I invested in Saint Arnold in 08 when they were raising capital for the 'newery' and the issue was they had to put down 10-20%. This was a private common stock investment so maybe different from El Tiempo, I think Buffalo Brewery was similar to El Tiempo's and they are having problems paying dividends.

yeah, a few of the "Nextseed" ventures have had some issues

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/04/29/nextseed-republic-bars-restaurants-default-funding.html
Irish 2.0
Buffalo Brewery just had horrible timing. No fault of their own, but I believe their grand opening of their new place was like Dec. 2019. 10 weeks later we had the COVID fallout.

Recent article on them

https://www.chron.com/food/article/buffalo-bayou-brewing-lawsuit-17467288.php
CDUB98
AG
I've angel invested in two restaurants this way, but it was to kickoff the restaurant, not to try and save it. Angel investing is a good idea, IF you've done your homework on the opportunity and the general partner. Even at that, it's still risky. But, the benefit is you get to make money while wiping your ass every morning.

Having said that, not a chance in hell I'd invest in this venture. The track record of the GP is absolute trash and ET also has a proven record of cash flow issues. No, just no.

I'm not sure about other ETs, but the one on Washington is always packed when I go by. If these yahoos can't make money with people rolling through their door, it's a sure sign they have piss poor management.
Diggity
AG
Quote:

According to the lawsuit, Zarinfar stepped down as CEO of BuffBrew on Sept. 11, and was replaced by William McLucas, managing member of WPM Capital Partners, which was brought on in the past year to "(a) provide debt and equity capital to and (b) merge with" BuffBrew, the lawsuit states. WPM and McLucas are both defendants in the lawsuit, along with the brewery itself. McLucas did not return a request for comment.
interesting....I went to school with Billy.

Separately, I have heard that Zarinfar is a complete scumbag so not surprised they decided it was time for him to go.
Diggity
AG
CDUB98 said:

I've angel invested in two restaurants this way, but it was to kickoff the restaurant, not to try and save it. Angel investing is a good idea, IF you've done your homework on the opportunity and the general partner. Even at that, it's still risky. But, the benefit is you get to make money while wiping your ass every morning.

Having said that, not a chance in hell I'd invest in this venture. The track record of the GP is absolute trash and ET also has a proven record of cash flow issues. No, just no.

I'm not sure about other ETs, but the one on Washington is always packed when I go by. If these yahoos can't make money with people rolling through their door, it's a sure sign they have piss poor management.
agreed.

I'm a little confused about the structure at El Tiempo now. I thought they had moved to the franchise model...or did they throw that out completely after the "Solid Gold Hospitality" fiasco?
Irish 2.0
The one on Navigation typically has a decent crowd. But agreed Washington always seems to be packed.

Don't forget today is Dom's Fajita Special. Think it is like $40 for a pound of mixed and a side of queso
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Diggity said:

Quote:

According to the lawsuit, Zarinfar stepped down as CEO of BuffBrew on Sept. 11, and was replaced by William McLucas, managing member of WPM Capital Partners, which was brought on in the past year to "(a) provide debt and equity capital to and (b) merge with" BuffBrew, the lawsuit states. WPM and McLucas are both defendants in the lawsuit, along with the brewery itself. McLucas did not return a request for comment.

Separately, I have heard that Zarinfar is a complete scumbag so not surprised they decided it was time for him to go.

Dude must have been younger than you, right?
CDUB98
AG
I have no idea.
Diggity
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Diggity said:

Quote:

Dude must have been younger than you, right?
yeah, quite a bit. this was grad school
drumboy
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

The one on Navigation typically has a decent crowd. But agreed Washington always seems to be packed.

Don't forget today is Dom's Fajita Special. Think it is like $40 for a pound of mixed and a side of queso

$42 as of last week.

jh0400
AG
Diggity said:

drumboy said:

yeah, a few of the "Nextseed" ventures have had some issues

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/04/29/nextseed-republic-bars-restaurants-default-funding.html

I used to watch Nextseed quite a bit and even interviewed with them several years ago. I never invested and often wondered how they got some of their deals done. A lot of the deals were in high rate of failure businesses with capped investor upside that made them expected value losers right out of the gate.
Irish 2.0
drumboy said:

Irish 2.0 said:

$42 as of last week.
**** that. I'll go to Teotihuacan on Airline instead. I actually prefer their fajitas and the margaritas aren't damn near a 2nd mortgage
Diggity
AG
try the carnitas
drumboy
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

drumboy said:

Irish 2.0 said:

$42 as of last week.
**** that. I'll go to Teotihuacan on Airline instead. I actually prefer their fajitas and the margaritas aren't damn near a 2nd mortgage

I'm a fan of Ts, especially Mondays with kids eat free and all day HH (I think that's M-W) but my wife and kids don't agree.

They're spoiled on ET and Candente.

Irish 2.0
drumboy said:

Irish 2.0 said:

drumboy said:

Irish 2.0 said:

$42 as of last week.

I'm a fan of Ts, especially Mondays with kids eat free and all day HH (I think that's M-W) but my wife and kids don't agree.

They're spoiled on ET and Candente.
Take them to Taqueria Arandas and then they'll have an appreciation for Ts!
jetch17
AG
sh*t, now I want some El Tiempo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.