Houston
Sponsored by

El Tiempo having cash problems?

18,091 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ciboag96
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
88jrt06 said:

Around November, both Escalantes and El Tiempo have a long history of selling 80% cards. Thanks to those who underwrite them by leaving them in a sock drawer!
This could be better than that. But, business as usual, no desperate cash flow issue.....year end taxes.

Not to dork out too much, but when they do this stuff, pretty sure they aren't booking 'losses'. It is cash in and assets and an offsetting liability. No good accountant is booking gift cards as revenue or expense until it is actually used. Pretty certain it has nothing to do with year end taxes.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Might be worth it if you have a big group going for a birthday. Just party there and it's $500 off a 1500 tab
htxag09
AG
Wonder about the catering also. Company having a Christmas party seams like a no brainer. Have any extra let sales reps use it to take customers.
mm98
AG
ATM9000 said:

88jrt06 said:

Around November, both Escalantes and El Tiempo have a long history of selling 80% cards. Thanks to those who underwrite them by leaving them in a sock drawer!
This could be better than that. But, business as usual, no desperate cash flow issue.....year end taxes.

Not to dork out too much, but when they do this stuff, pretty sure they aren't booking 'losses'. It is cash in and assets and an offsetting liability. No good accountant is booking gift cards as revenue or expense until it is actually used. Pretty certain it has nothing to do with year end taxes.

That's correct. As a nine year restaurant vet, it's all unearned revenue until it is redeemed. Unless you're cooking the books.
GEA89
AG
The place is packed every time you go in there and they have inflated prices at that. There is no way they are having cash problems unless there is someone at the top skimming profits.
g_werch
AG
You must truly understand the time value of re-fried beans when evaluating this deal
drumboy
AG
Confirmed yesterday; CostCo has $100 GCs for $75 so you can get lots of tasty ~$6 margs.
88jrt06
AG
I've gotten $100 GCs (as many as you want) every year in Nov-Dec for either $70, $75, or $80 from:
El Tiempo
Escalantes
Molina's

Pico's used to do it, don't know if they still do...

Diggity
AG
I'm well aware that restaurants sell gift cards for 20-25% pretty regularly.

Again...I thought it was strange that a restaurant that is routinely full during peak hours would offer 40% discounts. I realize that El Tiempo has higher margins than the average restaurant, but I'm not seeing the big upside for them unless they're trying to raise cash for something.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So speaking of the discounted gift cards, what is the expected rate of non-use? As in, it gets forgotten, lost, tossed, given to someone that just isn't in Houston very often, whatever? That number has to be pretty readily determined, no?
Bondag
AG
Diggity said:

Again...I thought it was strange that a restaurant that is routinely full during peak hours would offer 40% discounts. I realize that El Tiempo has higher margins than the average restaurant, but I'm not seeing the big upside for them unless they're trying to raise cash for something.
The benefits never expire so they get you in at 60% for first $5000, but if you are spending that much then you likely cater there or go there for happy hour every day after work.

After $5,000 you are back up to paying full price, but you don't have to wait in line to do so.
Diggity
AG
I still don't see the logic of offering your most captive audience a 40% discount. They're already perfectly content paying full freight.

Unless they think these people will start to come in during their "slow" times during the week, there just isn't much benefit to El Tiempo.
I Am A Critic
Diggity said:

I still don't see the logic of offering your most captive audience a 40% discount. They're already perfectly content paying full freight.

Clearly, you have an obsession with something that you don't understand. Have you considered calling them and asking for the purpose of this promotion?
Diggity
AG
sorry to bother you!
Liquid Wrench
So, if there was an hour wait on Saturday, and a discount was available on Monday...

FlyFish95
ChiliBeans said:

This board hates any local business that shows moderate success without relying on hipster mission statement nonsense.

And??????

HDeathstar
Is this for the Fast Pass Disney type folks.

Was working the hamburger booth at the church festival and some dude had to wait 30 seconds for his burger, and mentioned we should charge more for a VIP pass. So he could get it quicker. Yes his premade burger.
Liquid Wrench
He would have gotten it faster if you threw it at him.
88jrt06
AG
Diggity said:

El Tiempo has sold cards (and other promotions) the last quarter for 30% off since the year they opened. At the Richmond location about 5 years ago, I bought a $1000 "gold card" for $600. Also, maybe you should visit more locations if you believe that all ET's locations are "routinely full" daily during peak hours. I happen to know that's nowhere near the case for both the lower Westheimer and Navigation locations MANY days of the week. And yes, GCs are used heavily by folks who dine at non-peak hours, so that's also a major reason GCs are offered in general...
But as this thread indicates, you're "well-aware" of all this. OK.
Diggity
AG
Thanks as always for your incredible insight
88jrt06
AG
Weak.

You should keep arguing w/everyone about your "theory". On your thread.
And poo-pooing facts as they are presented...
Diggity
AG
I was just wondering what the motivation was for a fairly significant discount.

Haven't seen much to answer that question.

You're saying they're trying to get people to come at off-peak times, which makes no sense because the card gives you priority access which is most valuable at peak times.
88jrt06
AG
You ignored the part where I informed you that ET is hardly packed -peak or not- at several of their largest (e.g., Navigation) locations, so your theory about "always packed at peak" is simply wrong. Also, I noted that FIVE years ago, ET sold "gold cards" for a 40% discount. Those two indisputable facts are important clues about the title for your thread: "ET Having Cash Problems?". I think the fact that they've done it before and they DO have underutilized capacity they want to maximize...matters.

The "off-peak times" comment was generic to the GCs and the industry, obviously. (I said "in general", no?). BTW.
Bondag
AG
I think this is something mexican restaurants just do this time of year. Had one I used to go to that did the buy $100 get $25 free. I don't know if it is for christmas bonuses or what, but seems pretty common.
Diggity
AG
My comment about "peak times" refers to weekend dinner crowd, where they are usually on a waitlist. I never implied that they are on a waitlist every night.

My only point was - if they are trying to smooth out slower times with this promotion, then letting card holders cut the line during peak wait times is probably a silly way to encourage them to come at off-peak times.

Diggity
AG
and that's a possibility too.

I've always been told that restaurants are a low-margin business, so it was surprising to me that a successful business would give a large discount for no apparent reason.

Not trying to raise anyone ire here by having a discussion.

jetch17
AG
is 1308 Cantina officially closed now?
Texaggie7nine
Dunno but Cafe Adobe at Marque Center is gone now.
7nine
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
jetch17 said:

It's gone.
LondonAg89
AG
Yes. They have started tearing down the building
jetch17
AG
Yep, did a drive by and settled for westheimer for afternoon beveraging
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
jetch17 said:

David_Puddy
AG
jetch17 said:

Yep, did a drive by and settled for westheimer for afternoon beveraging

El Real down the street from the old 1308 goes pretty hard.
jetch17
AG
Be real, son
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So what is going on the block where 1308 used to be? A big box of hipster dorms?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.