Houston
Sponsored by

Remembering Hurricane Ike

5,748 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmellba99
The Kraken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should have had a 35 year anniversary thread for Hurricane Alicia back in August. That one hit my family more than Ike or Harvey.
schmellba99
AG
Ags #1 said:

Insurance pays for damage from wind correct?
If you are in a coastal county (and maybe some others as well, not sure), you have to have a separate wind and storm policy. Homeowner's doesn't cover wind or hurricane events in every case. I have to have 3 policies on my house, it sucks.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I remember Ike. I was in law school and living in East Downtown. We never lost power. A big group of the tenants that lived in my complex at the time got together in the big common area where the pool tables were located, set up a projector, and watched the news while playing pool and drinking.

Around midnight, some of us thought it would be a good idea to go out on the roof of the parking structure to take a peek. It was pretty cool to feel the wind and watch transformers blowing up in the distance. Probably a really stupid idea in retrospect.
Boo Weekley
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

ChiliBeans said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

I remember reading a claim here that the bear was a poster on this board.

It was interesting seeing some Ike recaps on the news today. Between the power outage and all the cleanup, my news access was kind of spotty that week.

If it was, my money is on jetch
My money would have been on Drink Juice, Shelby.
88jrt06
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

88jrt06 said:

Ike was a wind event.

Depended on where you were located. If you were anywhere close to the coast it was a flood event.

Harvey was a cat 4 but had a storm surge at landfall smaller than Ike. IIRC, Harvey's surge was about 10-12 feet while Ike was like 21-22'.

The main difference being the amount of precipitation. Harvey's flooding was brought on by the 4-5' of rainfall (depending on location, IIRC much of Houston saw around 50" while Nederland recorded over 62" of rain). Ike didn't have anything near that.

Just shows how differing storms can have similar impact- Ike wasn't near the wind event of Harvey and had far less rainfall. But, because Ike was a slow-moving storm of huge size (though lower intensity) it built up a monster storm surge. Harvey caused more wind damage and when it camped out over SE Texas dumping rain the flooding that followed was disastrous.

Might want to check with CenterPoint. As I said, for our region, for the overwhelming majority, compared w/Harvey, Ike was a wind event. That explains, as they state, the far more extensive and long-lasting power outages associated with Ike than Harvey, despite the obvious fact that Harvey did far more regional damage. Since Ike hit Gilchrist and Harvey did its entry damage 3 hrs down the coast, people can be mislead. For the Tine, again, IKE WAS A WIND STORM in comparison w/Harvey, the epic rain event. And led to 2 weeks of power-free misery all over the city to prove it....
txags92
AG
88jrt06 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

88jrt06 said:

Ike was a wind event.

Depended on where you were located. If you were anywhere close to the coast it was a flood event.

Harvey was a cat 4 but had a storm surge at landfall smaller than Ike. IIRC, Harvey's surge was about 10-12 feet while Ike was like 21-22'.

The main difference being the amount of precipitation. Harvey's flooding was brought on by the 4-5' of rainfall (depending on location, IIRC much of Houston saw around 50" while Nederland recorded over 62" of rain). Ike didn't have anything near that.

Just shows how differing storms can have similar impact- Ike wasn't near the wind event of Harvey and had far less rainfall. But, because Ike was a slow-moving storm of huge size (though lower intensity) it built up a monster storm surge. Harvey caused more wind damage and when it camped out over SE Texas dumping rain the flooding that followed was disastrous.

Might want to check with CenterPoint. As I said, for our region, for the overwhelming majority, compared w/Harvey, Ike was a wind event. That explains, as they state, the far more extensive and long-lasting power outages associated with Ike than Harvey, despite the obvious fact that Harvey did far more regional damage. Since Ike hit Gilchrist and Harvey did its entry damage 3 hrs down the coast, people can be mislead. For the Tine, again, IKE WAS A WIND STORM in comparison w/Harvey, the epic rain event. And led to 2 weeks of power-free misery all over the city to prove it....
Tell that to the homeowners along Bolivar whose houses were swept into the bay. That wasn't the wind doing that. And my boat certainly didn't burn up in the dry storage due to wind...it was the storm surge in both cases. Yes, it was not a big rainfall event...but it was way more than just wind doing damage.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

That wasn't the wind doing that.
It was Wayne Dolcefino. I saw him on camera running around in the piers underneath homes once the owners had left.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
88jrt06 said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

88jrt06 said:

Ike was a wind event.

That's why I said it depended on where you were at. Folks on Bolivar, Galveston and down to Surfside or effectively south of 10 it was a flood event. In Houston and much of the burbs, it was a wind event. It was a wind event for our neighborhood as there were so many trees that blew over on power lines that CP spent over 2 weeks repairing them all. There wasn't nearly as much rain with Ike and so the flood issues were localized on the coast.

Harvey was 2 storms- wind damage when it came ashore near Port A but a flood storm for SE Texas.
Bondag
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

ChiliBeans said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

I remember reading a claim here that the bear was a poster on this board.

It was interesting seeing some Ike recaps on the news today. Between the power outage and all the cleanup, my news access was kind of spotty that week.

If it was, my money is on jetch
I bet he was hiding in Dallas.
jetch17
dallasag00
AG
I'll never forget IKE. Daughter (3 weeks old) was at Texas Children's with mom for an infant surgery. Due to people flooding the hospital during Allison they only allowed one parent to stay at the hospital during the storm. I returned to west Houston to ride out the storm leaving them at the hospital. Didn't sleep a wink as the trees kept snapping all night long. Once the sun came up I got in the car to head to the hospital and made it about 200 feet in every direction before running into downed trees. No power for 16 days. It was no Harvey but for me definitely one I'll never forget.
schmellba99
AG
It was also a delayed flood event. Took about 4 or 5 days for the Brazos to really jump its banks, but when it did it sucked balls for everybody south of Rosenberg.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.