Houston
Sponsored by

Horribly Designed Road Intersections - What's Your Worst?

8,020 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sazerac
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BowSowy said:

That newish ramp at 610/I-10/290 where I-10 EB and I-10 WB traffic merge and then split off to 290 WB and 610. They need to have signs which are way more prominent telling drivers that the left lane is for 290, right two lanes are for 610. Every damn day I see someone that has to cut over at the last second because their dumbass didn't realize it until the lanes split.

Highly unlikely. I guaradamntee you that probably 90% of those a-holes know exactly what they are doing. They are the ones whose time is more important than yours, so that cannot be bothered to wait their turn in line.

And 76.3% of made up statistics are made up.
Diggity
AG
that whole exchange (still) a cluster**** from every direction.

If you enter 610 from Oak Forest, you have to immediately cut over 3 or 4 lanes just to stay on 610.
BowSowy
AG
I don't mind it going outbound, because I get on 290 and get to completely miss 610.
TriAg2010
AG
No mention for the I-45 South entrance ramp under Dallas St? That's a firey death trap waiting to happen.
RK
AG
Ciboag96 said:

610 West Loop northbound exit to 59S at the end of the day.

Actual exiting traffic by %:

Cars in the proper lane = 10%

Cheaters driving up one to two left lanes over and trying to cheat over at the last minute causing mayhem and brain aneurysms = 50%

Cheaters driving up the right 59N exit lane and trying to cheater over at the last minute causing mayhem and brain aneurysms = 40%

daily chance of resulting accident: 95%

chance of minor fender-bender participants pulling to shoulder: 0%
HtownAg92
AG
Right turn lanes of inbound 59 frontage at either Weslayan or Buffalo Speedway. Westpark is too close and not synced so cars coming southbound on green light get stopped at Westpark, blocking the feeder. By the time they clear with a green on Westpark, 59 light is green again and cars are coming through again.
trip
AG
The brand new intersection in front of Magnolia High school on 1488. Someone made a but load of money to put in a stoplight right before a new overpass. So they put in a overpass to speed up traffic on 1488 only to put in a stop light.

I know take it to the south dallas board....
Forum Troll
AG
RK said:

Ciboag96 said:

610 West Loop northbound exit to 59S at the end of the day.

Actual exiting traffic by %:

Cars in the proper lane = 10%

Cheaters driving up one to two left lanes over and trying to cheat over at the last minute causing mayhem and brain aneurysms = 50%

Cheaters driving up the right 59N exit lane and trying to cheater over at the last minute causing mayhem and brain aneurysms = 40%

daily chance of resulting accident: 95%

chance of minor fender-bender participants pulling to shoulder: 0%
Definitely a daily accident here. Not an exagerration or hyperbole.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Civen said:

I love roundabouts, if done correctly. But drivers here are terrified of them for some reason and they almost never get designed properly. The worst one in Houston is here https://goo.gl/maps/Z9iYfBVPVbJ2

They took a 2-lane street, and decided to shove a circle in the middle of an intersection for some reason. It's the most awkward thing to drive around and I think that roundabouts like it are the reason they get a bad name in the US.

Edit: There's also another one just a bit further north on Benignus. They're both terrible.
Those aren't roundabouts. They are rotaries / splitter islands, and have different goals and characteristics than a true roundabout.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG

JSKolache
AG
Jock 07 said:

f burg ag said:

Could be worse....our highways could be designed by the clowns responsible for Lake Charles and Baton Rouge.

Or DC
This. No rights on red, anywhere. And 14th Street Bridge was always such a cluster. Entrance ramps & exit ramps on BOTH left and the right sides on BOTH sides of the river. And invariably some ******s trying to enter from right, cross 4 lanes, and immediately exit left & vice versa. All day long. So dumb.
Al Bula
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Those aren't roundabouts. They are rotaries / splitter islands, and have different goals and characteristics than a true roundabout.
oh FFS who cares?

Reminds me of the schooner scene from Mallrats

"You dumb basterd, it's a rotary not a roundabout!"

FTACO97
AG
Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that this is my most successful (# of pages) thread I've ever started on TexAgs
bluefire579
AG
Not an intersection, but holy **** the reversible lane on West Alabama is apparently the most difficult thing in the world for people in this city to understand.

I also have a special amount of hatred in my heart for the layout of the 290-610 interchange since construction started.
RK
AG
Quote:

Not an intersection, but holy **** the reversible lane on West Alabama is apparently the most difficult thing in the world for people in this city to understand.
I love to drive in that lane just to scare the sh*t out of the oncoming morons using it as a turning lane.
Worm01
AG
Only mentioned once, but I didn't know there was anything worse than the Montrose/Main not-a-roundabout. I'm seriously curious if that's the only roundabout in the world where the traffic ENTERING the roundabout has the right-of-way over traffic in the roundabout?

Also, as discussed the fact that Westpark doesn't have an interchange to get on BW8 is ridiculous. Hardy Toll Road on to the BW8 doesn't either I don't believe, and it doesn't make any sense.
BBRex
AG
BowSowy said:

That newish ramp at 610/I-10/290 where I-10 EB and I-10 WB traffic merge and then split off to 290 WB and 610. They need to have signs which are way more prominent telling drivers that the left lane is for 290, right two lanes are for 610. Every damn day I see someone that has to cut over at the last second because their dumbass didn't realize it until the lanes split.
I'm trying to reserve judgement on this until they open everything, but it is a mess right now. Current pet peeves:

1. The ramps mentioned above.

2. The 290 to 610 interchange where you have to be in the right lane to go left and the left lane to go right. It is completely counter-intuitive.

3. The ramps from I-10 to 290 that merge into one lane to get on 290. They leave traffic backed up down 610, which is why I thought they were re-doing the ramps to begin with.
88jrt06
AG
FTACO97 said:

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that this is my most successful (# of pages) thread I've ever started on TexAgs
88jrt06
AG
88jrt06 said:

This could go 10 pages.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Southbound on Grand Parkway, just south of I-10. You have two lanes on GP, with the flyover from I-10 and an entrance ramp from the SB feeder all converging at the same point. The entrance ramp needs to get over immediately to enter the main SB lanes, all while dealing with SB traffic already in the main lanes. Then if you are one of those wanting to exit the main lanes, that exit is literally the entrance ramp lane. There are always near misses at this CF.
Sazerac
AG
Just saw another wreck at i10 feeder turning south on dairy Ashford. Must be 10 a day from the turn only - turn only - turn straight configuration.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.