Houston
Sponsored by

Horribly Designed Road Intersections - What's Your Worst?

8,118 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
f burg ag said:

Could be worse....our highways could be designed by the clowns responsible for Lake Charles and Baton Rouge.
or San Antonio.
WorthAg95
AG
Not an intersection, but I despise the 45 and 290 HOV designs. 1) Single-rider here on 45 HOV, so pay the toll...the fact you can't jump off the HOV before it dumps into downtown is beyond dumb (to destinations just south of downtown.) 2) no access to 290 HOV inbound from southbound beltway
BigPuma
AG
third coast.. said:

the stupid ass 5 way intersection in league city right by the high school. their fix is just as ridiculous.
You talking about the abortion right there at 518 right?
BigPuma
AG
88jrt06 said:

True roundabouts reward alphas like me.
The lane price is measured in steel
Ag83
AG
BigPuma said:

third coast.. said:

the stupid ass 5 way intersection in league city right by the high school. their fix is just as ridiculous.
You talking about the abortion right there at 518 right?

Yes, that had to be where he's talking about. Another stupidity is the light at Hobbs within spitting distance of the 518/45 intersection. Pretty soon Calder road will have the same idiocy at 96...assuming they ever actually finish the Calder construction...
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
North loop 610 west bound exit/entramce to 45N

I-10 eastbound at the 45 split

Burn-It
AG
They "fixed" it by making it a 6-way intersection . Total waste. This is an example where a true roundabout is needed.
AKA 13-0
Burn-It
AG
Not an intersection, but downtown lights used to be synchronized. Not anymore & it takes 20 minutes to get from one side to the other.
AKA 13-0
Post removed:
by user
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
third coast.. said:

when they fixed that 518 abortion they marked the lanes wrong. it was a joke for a couple of days. the fix is a joke because the lanes are all screwed up. I use the shortcut more often than not because that intersection is such a joke. ive been overseas for a month so maybe it has been better but im guessing its still a Charlie foxtrot.

the lane marking is still a little screwy, but it has helped the intersection quite a bit. Now, I don't go that way in the mornings, so it might still be just as bad during rush hour.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
third coast.. said:

the northbound going on to egrets bay blvd merges in to one lane from two without any markings. its so awkward
the strangest part to me is taking the new left turn going south on egret bay. The little bypass street goes down to one lane, then just goes into four lanes. Wtf? It really has helped, and it certainly couldn't get worse than it was.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'll second 249 and 99

Then add I-45 and Spring Stuebner West.... wtf is even going on there?
Post removed:
by user
tx4guns
AG
Southbound NASA Bypass. Northbound (nobody at NASA lives North) has a ramp onto I-45, but the Southbound traffic has to go thru 2 lights, then enter the CF of a feeder road towards 518 to get on the freeway. Complete bass ackward design that makes traffic worse.
Jock 07
AG
f burg ag said:

Could be worse....our highways could be designed by the clowns responsible for Lake Charles and Baton Rouge.

Or DC
W
AG
as an aside...I'm been driving on the old east side lately for business. Driving on Navigation, Lockwood, Canal, Harrisburg, etc..,

there's never any traffic over there...pretty much smooth sailing all day
nonameag99
Hurricane evacuation is big in the Houston highway funding world
Texaggie7nine
88jrt06 said:

True roundabouts reward alphas like me.

Been in Europe for the past month. Roundabouts have grown on me.
7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
W said:

as an aside...I'm been driving on the old east side lately for business. Driving on Navigation, Lockwood, Canal, Harrisburg, etc..,

there's never any traffic over there...pretty much smooth sailing all day

Shhhh those are my side streets when traffic is bad.
panamamyers00
Park place, Broadway, long Dr and gulf freeway intersection there. Called suicide circle for a reason. They should have taken the time to make it more logical.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Main St. is a total cluster because it is shaped like a roundabout but they threw out the usual roundabout driving conventions by putting a stop sign in the actual roundabout, so it's a roundabout bassturd that makes no sense whatsoever.
THIS! It's like they had a picture of a roundabout from the air but had never seen or driven one themselves. Lets take a system that works in dozens of countries and with almost as many languages and just make up our own rules.
Civen
AG
I love roundabouts, if done correctly. But drivers here are terrified of them for some reason and they almost never get designed properly. The worst one in Houston is here https://goo.gl/maps/Z9iYfBVPVbJ2

They took a 2-lane street, and decided to shove a circle in the middle of an intersection for some reason. It's the most awkward thing to drive around and I think that roundabouts like it are the reason they get a bad name in the US.

Edit: There's also another one just a bit further north on Benignus. They're both terrible.
schmellba99
AG
Civen said:

I love roundabouts, if done correctly. But drivers here are terrified of them for some reason and they almost never get designed properly. The worst one in Houston is here https://goo.gl/maps/Z9iYfBVPVbJ2

They took a 2-lane street, and decided to shove a circle in the middle of an intersection for some reason. It's the most awkward thing to drive around and I think that roundabouts like it are the reason they get a bad name in the US.

Edit: There's also another one just a bit further north on Benignus. They're both terrible.
That's because the majority of drivers are dumber than a bag of hammers and should not be driving. But since we hand out DL's just for having the ability to breathe and stand up, we get stupid drivers all over the place.

If we made it legal to put cattle guards on vehicles like old west trains had and rid the road of drivers who spend more time worrying about instagram and facebook with their eagle talon claws instead of actually paying attention to the world around them and driving, we'd all be better off.

Oh, and the 45/NASA1 interchange, 288/BW8 interchange and even though it's kind of low key compared to others, the 288/Highway 6 interchange make me want to club baby seals in front of kindergarten classes and PETA.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Dan Scott said:

59/610 interchange is poorly designed and why 610 traffic sucks.

All of Post Oak right now with construction.
well get ready because this about to get redone again.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

North loop 610 west bound exit/entramce to 45N (or North Loop 610 east-bound at 45 in the mornings)

I-10 eastbound at the 45 split (or I-10 westbound between 59 & 45 in the mornings)

Those two spots are the bane of my commuting existence. Both back up so badly that they frequently tack on 15-20 minutes depending on the time of day. I especially want to kill the dickholes on I-10 eastbound in the afternoons who come to a complete stop in the far left lane of I-10 because they're trying to cut into the 45 southbound traffic.
Diggity
AG
those are just designed to slow down traffic and discourage commuters from using residential streets as through roads.
Ciboag96
panamamyers00 said:

Park place, Broadway, long Dr and gulf freeway intersection there. Called suicide circle for a reason. They should have taken the time to make it more logical.
It's only dangerous / Youtube Gold when you are playing basketball in the intersection
Ciboag96
610 West Loop northbound exit to 59S at the end of the day.

Actual exiting traffic by %:

Cars in the proper lane = 10%

Cheaters driving up one to two left lanes over and trying to cheat over at the last minute causing mayhem and brain aneurysms = 50%

Cheaters driving up the right 59N exit lane and trying to cheater over at the last minute causing mayhem and brain aneurysms = 40%

Civen
AG
Diggity said:

those are just designed to slow down traffic and discourage commuters from using residential streets as through roads.
I get that they're just glorified speed bumps, but they screw up peoples idea of what a roundabout should be. If they'd just put those big residential speed bumps in, that would have worked a lot better I think.
GoneGirl
AG
Anything near the medical center.

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

I get that they're just glorified speed bumps, but they screw up peoples idea of what a roundabout should be. If they'd just put those big residential speed bumps in, that would have worked a lot better I think.
I thought they had those too but maybe I'm thinking of a different street. I actually think they are more to prevent people from just blowing through those intersections without stopping. I agree in that I hate those as well but I do realize it's the villages and they really want to make driving through there as miserable as possible. In that sense they are working exactly as intended.
aTm2004
AG
aTm2004 said:

I-10 and Eldridge when you turn left from 10 West to go south on Eldridge. If you're in the inside left turn lane, the lane you turn into is also an outside turn lane to 10 East, and in the mornings, there's always an asshat that stops at the red left turn light and blocks traffic for those who are wanting to continue down Eldridge.
Yes I'm quoting myself, but this chit strikes again this morning.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
The Milkman said:

With proper driving a roundabout is more efficient than a traditional intersection
BowSowy
AG
That newish ramp at 610/I-10/290 where I-10 EB and I-10 WB traffic merge and then split off to 290 WB and 610. They need to have signs which are way more prominent telling drivers that the left lane is for 290, right two lanes are for 610. Every damn day I see someone that has to cut over at the last second because their dumbass didn't realize it until the lanes split.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.