Houston
Sponsored by

Horribly Designed Road Intersections - What's Your Worst?

8,067 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
FTACO97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Ok, I'm increasingly becoming fed-up with some road intersections/on-ramps/etc that I encounter on a daily basis. Figured it's a good place to vent and commiserate together over places in town that we all can't stand...

My #1 - Ramp onto Westpark Tollway westbound from Westchase area
- If there isn't a more FUBAR design in this town...you've got people coming from all directions in Westchase, trying to access a short, single lane ramp with no dedicated lane and you access it from a side street. People come at it from the beltway access road, from Rogerdale, etc. There isn't even a dedicated exit for it from the Beltway main lanes. If someone has found a solution to avoid this mess, please let me know!

Honorable mentions:
Grand Parkway ramp onto I-10 eastbound - newly built in the past few years and their grand plan was to have both GP northbound and southbound exit lanes merge before getting on 10??

Westpark Tollway lack of ramp onto Grand Parkway northbound - how do you build this out and not create a dedicated ramp to get on GP from Westpark? You have to take an exit and then merge with frontage road traffic to get to the entrance to GP.

What are the road designs around town that you can't stand?

MAROON
AG
Westpark toll road west bound lack of ramp onto Beltway 8
Ag_07
AG
288 and BW8 - No fly by to go from either one to the other (although they're building it now)

Washington and Westcott - A roundabout? Really? People here can't even handle a 4 way stop

TC Jester entrance on the Westbound Loop - Even after the redo if you wanna go 610 south you're forced to get over multiple lanes in about 50 feet of freeway.
88jrt06
AG
4 unsynchronized lights over about a quarter/half mile stretch on S. Main near NRG.
OST hits it at a diagonal. I would need about 8 paragraphs to clarify the clusterf.
There is actually incentive to drive 15 mph in the left lane and 60 mph in the right.
Also some to bump &^%$ drivers into oncoming traffic....
aTm2004
AG
Eastex Freeway entrance ramp just north of Greens Rd. It merges directly into the northbound traffic, which is already a mess due to the idiots from Beltway 8 still jockeying for position by the time they get there.

Similar thing for the on ramp going south on 59 from Northpark. Tons of cars there entering the freeway, but lack their own lane to use to merge. Really fun in the mornings when 18 wheelers refuse to get over and everybody slams their brakes on and comes to a stop in front of people exiting Kingwood Dr at highway speeds.

I-10 and Eldridge when you turn left from 10 West to go south on Eldridge. If you're in the inside left turn lane, the lane you turn into is also an outside turn lane to 10 East, and in the mornings, there's always an asshat that stops at the red left turn light and blocks traffic for those who are wanting to continue down Eldridge.

3 issues with the GP on the nawf side...going south on 45 there's no dedicated fly over to go east on the GP, and at 59, there's not a dedicated south bound fly over. Also, there's not a dedicated flyover for those going west on the GP who want to go 45 north. That's the real one that has me scratching my head. Instead, they want you to drive to damn near Rayford Sawdust and **** around in that cluster. That's awesome for those needing to go to The Woodlands, Conroe, or Dallas.

Beltway 8 at Hardy. How the eff is there not a fly over while going west on 8? Instead, you spend 10 minutes in traffic that backs up onto 8.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
88jrt06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Washington and Westcott - A roundabout? Really? People here can't even handle a 4 way stop
Used to live right by that disaster as it was planned, then built.
Originally, NO SEMIS permitted. BWAHAHAHAHA!
Saw one backing up over the bricks just the other day.
Then, there's the choice of brick at all....

Next, the tree will probably die.
aTm2004
AG
88jrt06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Used to live right by that disaster as it was planned, then built.
Originally, NO SEMIS permitted. BWAHAHAHAHA!
Saw one backing up over the bricks just the other day.
Then, there's the choice of brick at all....

Next, the tree will probably die.
The bricks are fine. It's the wave pattern they now have that makes it suck. I use it almost everyday when I try to avoid the cluster on 10 east.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
The Milkman
AG
With proper driving a roundabout is more efficient than a traditional intersection
88jrt06
AG
I'd like to know how many of those bricks have had to be replaced/reinstalled over the years. Thousands, I'd say.
Too tight a circle; my 'hood assoc. was consulted and of course, nearby residents wanted small and pretty (and save that oak!). Somehow, 18-wheelers were magically going to use a different route, pretty brick, pretty landscaping...you get the idea.

Unfortunately Westcott/Washington is just as light industrial as residential, and it is a critical mobility interchange.
And here we are, with semis backing up and bricks popping out all over....whoops.
BohunkAg
AG
At least they fixed the traffic light on 290 out by Fairfield. That used to be horrendous.
htxag09
AG
249 and 99, you have two newer freeways and can't build connecting ramps?

Some of the newer updated I10 exit/entrance ramps, like westbound between Yale and Shepherd. The exiting lane continues, so if you're getting on the entrance ramp you basically have to move over two lanes in a pretty short stretch.

The new 290 to 10 ramp. Love that you avoid 610, but no idea why they didn't have the 290 inbound ramp go over the 610 to 10 ramp. Most people getting on 10 from 290 will be going inbound and most getting on 10 from 610 will be going outbound. Now you have every ass hat slamming on their brakes to change lanes immediately (even though they do have 3/4 a mile to do so).

Broadway and 288 in pearland. That damn intersection is always busy as hell and a complete cf.
MAROON
AG
The Milkman said:

With proper driving a roundabout is more efficient than a traditional intersection
100% this. Driving in Europe is a breeze with roundabouts (except when my wife is driving) ....Oy Vay!!!
88jrt06
AG
The Milkman said:

Totally agree.
Sadly, our two most prominent roundabouts are *******ized.
Main St. is a total fiasco given any significant traffic. Westcott: Tiny diameter, fragile.
First rule: Roundabouts need to be LARGE. Next, minimize yield signs, etc.. MOVE traffic.
Maybe some day, Houston will have a legit roundabout.
Presley OBannons Sword
MAROON said:

i think this would just make Westpark traffic between 59 and 8 even worse. there's never a backup on that exit ramp, and you can make a quick right at the light to the ramp. i guess a ramp here would be convenient at times, but doesnt seem like that big a deal.

however, that ramp getting from the southbound feeder of the BW onto west bound Westpark is an absolute abortion.
BohunkAg
AG
roundabouts are sheety
MAROON
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

MAROON said:

i think this would just make Westpark traffic between 59 and 8 even worse. there's never a backup on that exit ramp, and you can make a quick right at the light to the ramp. i guess a ramp here would be convenient at times, but doesnt seem like that big a deal.

however, that ramp getting from the southbound feeder of the BW onto west bound Westpark is an absolute abortion.
in the mornings the cars exiting that ramp are regularly stacked up back on the toll road, thus shutting down the right lane.. I've sat through three and four lights waiting to turn right.
RAB91
htxag09 said:

249 and 99, you have two newer freeways and can't build connecting ramps?

I use this one almost every weekday, and it amazes me they couldn't put flyovers/connecting ramps in to start with. The same applies for 99/I45 and 99/59. In general the GP seems like a job only done half way. It has only been open a couple years and they already have stop & go traffic on it between 45 and Kuykendahl.
Forum Troll
AG
Fort Bend Tollway + Hwy 90 Eastbound + Exit for South Post Oak + Entrance ramp from Chimney Rock.

Hwy 90 heads eastbound with 3 lanes, FB Tollway heads northbound and intersects with 2 lanes trimming down to 1 lane. This 1 lane then merges with 2 lanes from the feeder (traffic from Chimney Rock southbound) to be an exit only lane for South Post Oak.

So basically its 7 lanes being merged down to 3 main lanes and 1 exit only lane in about 1/2 mile of road.

Also hate the Westpark and FB tollway "intersections" with Beltway 8. No ramps for you, just exit the freeway and go wait at a red light and back up traffic onto the tollway.
wessimo
AG
88jrt06 said:

The Milkman said:

Totally agree.
Sadly, our two most prominent roundabouts are *******ized.
Main St. is a total fiasco given any significant traffic. Westcott: Tiny diameter, fragile.
First rule: Roundabouts need to be LARGE. Next, minimize yield signs, etc.. MOVE traffic.
Maybe some day, Houston will have a legit roundabout.

Main St. is a total cluster because it is shaped like a roundabout but they threw out the usual roundabout driving conventions by putting a stop sign in the actual roundabout, so it's a roundabout bassturd that makes no sense whatsoever.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The complete lack of any exchange at Hwy 6 and 10.
Dan Scott
AG
59/610 interchange is poorly designed and why 610 traffic sucks.

All of Post Oak right now with construction.
JayAggie
AG
West Rd & Beltway 8...always backed up

249 N @ Grand Parkway - how there is no on ramp is beyond disbelief
Presley OBannons Sword
MAROON said:

Presley OBannons Sword said:

MAROON said:

in the mornings the cars exiting that ramp are regularly stacked up back on the toll road, thus shutting down the right lane.. I've sat through three and four lights waiting to turn right.

Yep, you're right. I didn't think about that.
Prune Tracy
That damn 5-way intersection near the Heights. It scares me ****less every time I go through because I never know what everyone else is going to do.
f burg ag
AG
Could be worse....our highways could be designed by the clowns responsible for Lake Charles and Baton Rouge.
IrishTxAggie
AG
59/45 Downtown
88jrt06
AG
This could go 10 pages.
Duck Blind
AG
ANYTHING Westpark Tollway related. Two lanes? No ****ing exits? ****ed up on-ramps? Jesus Christ, TXDOT or HCTRA, didn't you know Houston was moving WEST? Really?
Your Friend
Trying to go wb on westpark from sb beltway gives me cancer
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
The newly widened 290 making a Venturi under BW8 because they didn't want to demolish the high-5 or BW8. Couple with the on ramp plus gessner exit plus BW8 ramp on 290 east at Jones. Smart.
schmendeler
AG
Pretty much any intersection where there is no left turn yield. I hate arrow only.
tk for tu juan
Go to 2:35 for the turbo roundabout:

88jrt06
AG
True roundabouts reward alphas like me.
CDUB98
AG
I despise the people at the Washington/Wescott roundabout that come to a complete stop when there is no traffic, and then to top it off, just sit there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.