Houston
Sponsored by

Buc-ees

14,575 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmellba99
ilikeit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
schmellba99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

If that's the one close to Surfside, that thats the same one I remember.

I'm pretty sure that one was around in the late 80s and the early 90s for sure.

That's the original Buc-ee's IIRC.
The original store is at Oyster Creek and Old Angleton road, just off of old 288. Then the 2nd was a little more north at 2004.

The Buc ees down on 332 near Surfside wasn't till the late 90s I believe.
The one in Surfside has been there for a while. I graduated from high school in '95, it was there then. Used to have gas wars between that Buc-Ees and Beach, Bait and Tackle back in the day.
The Buc-ees on 332& FM 524 was originally Ernies and Buc-ees baught that store from Ernie. Same goes with
the downtown store in Lake Jackson that is now closed. Ernie still owns the car wash if i'm not mistaken
Ag_07
AG
I think they're pretty similar. Not really in a sense that you would confuse one for the other (that seems far fetched), but it's easy to see that they could trigger you to think that they're somehow related or even a subsidiary of Buc-ees.

Even if it's just the thought of Buc-ees that captures your attention as you drive by and see their sign. It's that correlation that got you to notice them.
AgCPA95
AG
agdx88 said:

The linked article in the first posts shows some of who they have sued. Chicks and Irv's look nothing like the Beaver and only idiots could be confused.

Sadly, the average person driving down the road is an idiot.
Al Bula
AG
ilikeit said:

The Buc-ees on 332& FM 524 was originally Ernies and Buc-ees baught that store from Ernie. Same goes with
the downtown store in Lake Jackson that is now closed. Ernie still owns the car wash if i'm not mistaken
Ernies! Been awhile since I thought about that place. He had a surf shop type of store in the Brazos Mall at one point.
Texaggie7nine
RPM said:

ilikeit said:

Ernies! Been awhile since I thought about that place. He had a surf shop type of store in the Brazos Mall at one point.
Not as cool as Harmony. My sister worked there.
7nine
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Don't remember Ernie's but there used to be a bait shop at the ramp off Amigo Ln. near San Luis Pass called Ernie's 2. I always wondered where the original Ernie's was located.

The shop is long gone but the ramp is still there. Great kayak launch site to fish Xmas Bay too.
BrazosDog02
AG
I find bucee's to be the epitome of big business scumbaggery, but, the system embraces it, and that's how a lot of people make a lot of money. You have to protect what you own and built.

I have to support it because Bucees is my preferred place to stop and take a piss. I can stop in and take a leak without buying anything. I don't like doing that at mom and pop shops. Bucees allows me to do this guilt-free.
BigPuma
AG
oops missed this on page 2.

BusterAg
AG
Here is the complaint:

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/PICS/JULY16/bucees.pdf

This is more about trade dress than it is about the logo. Here is what the complaint lists as trade dress. (I included the functional indicators, you will see why below).

The features of the Buc-ee's Trade Dress that help distinguish the Buc-ee's convenience stores (and thereby help to identify and distinguish the Buc-ee's convenience stores from the stores of others) include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Consistent use of bell-gabled roof lines;
(b) Use of a red, white, yellow and black color scheme in store signage;
(c) Use of stone siding on the exterior of the store;
(d) Consistent use of a specific and distinctive fountain drink set up in the interior of the stores;
(e) In-store computer ordering kiosks; (functional)
(f) Horse-shoe shaped in-store carving stations; (arguably functional, unless it is the exact same shape, or both were designed to look like actual horse shoes)
(g) Open counter deli stations; (functional)
(h) Freshly prepared signature food choices; (functional)
(i) Consistent, prominent use of the BUC-EE'S Marks in signage above and on the products offered for sale; (functional)
(j) Large square footage; (functional)
(k) Numerous fuel pumps; (functional)
(l) Abundant and oversized parking spaces; (functional)
(m) Oversized bathrooms; (functional)
(n) A multitude of cashier stations; (functional)
(o) Entrances from three of the four sides of the building. (functional)
(p) Antique-looking displays;
(q) Country-themed signage; and
(r) Khaki paint colors.

Now, I have a problem with many of those items because they are functional. Trade dress has to be decorative, not functional. So, listing all of them is a litigation tactic, though, because now the defense has to spend money to argue that open counter deli stations are not a trade dress, they are functional.

However, copying the combination of the yellow background on the logo, and more of the stylistic designs of the store could very well lead to infringement. Buccees does not own yellow background logos, or khaki brick buildings, but if you incorporate all of the above non-functional aspects in the list into your store, you are arguably trying to replicate the look and feel of a buccees. That is trade dress infringement.

In the energy drinks business, Red Bull has repeatedly, successfully, sued companies that use a combo of silver, red and blue on their can, regardless of what name you use or how that color combo is put to work. They win every time. You can't purposely make the appearance of your product / service remind your customers of your successful competitor.

I can see how Buccees won this one. If it was the logo alone, I doubt they win. But, the way the logo changed, and some other similarities of the store design are compelling. I doubt they would lose an appeal.
Diggity
AG
Quote:

but if you incorporate all of the above non-functional aspects in the list into your store, you are arguably trying to replicate the look and feel of a buccees. That is trade dress infringement.
agreed. It's pretty clear that's what they are doing.
HtownAg92
AG
RPM said:

ilikeit said:

That Buc-ee's is the perfect "tall boy distance" from my buddy's beach house on Surf Lane. Go with a 24 oz. if you are headed straight out to the beach to wade fish the pylons.
Redstone
AG
I've been to all the Buc-ee's, several on multiple occasions, and some relatives are friendly with the owners.
Stat Monitor Repairman
BusterAg said:

Here is the complaint:

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/PICS/JULY16/bucees.pdf

This is more about trade dress than it is about the logo. Here is what the complaint lists as trade dress. (I included the functional indicators, you will see why below).

The features of the Buc-ee's Trade Dress that help distinguish the Buc-ee's convenience stores (and thereby help to identify and distinguish the Buc-ee's convenience stores from the stores of others) include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Consistent use of bell-gabled roof lines;
(b) Use of a red, white, yellow and black color scheme in store signage;
(c) Use of stone siding on the exterior of the store;
(d) Consistent use of a specific and distinctive fountain drink set up in the interior of the stores;
(e) In-store computer ordering kiosks; (functional)
(f) Horse-shoe shaped in-store carving stations; (arguably functional, unless it is the exact same shape, or both were designed to look like actual horse shoes)
(g) Open counter deli stations; (functional)
(h) Freshly prepared signature food choices; (functional)
(i) Consistent, prominent use of the BUC-EE'S Marks in signage above and on the products offered for sale; (functional)
(j) Large square footage; (functional)
(k) Numerous fuel pumps; (functional)
(l) Abundant and oversized parking spaces; (functional)
(m) Oversized bathrooms; (functional)
(n) A multitude of cashier stations; (functional)
(o) Entrances from three of the four sides of the building. (functional)
(p) Antique-looking displays;
(q) Country-themed signage; and
(r) Khaki paint colors.

Now, I have a problem with many of those items because they are functional. Trade dress has to be decorative, not functional. So, listing all of them is a litigation tactic, though, because now the defense has to spend money to argue that open counter deli stations are not a trade dress, they are functional.

However, copying the combination of the yellow background on the logo, and more of the stylistic designs of the store could very well lead to infringement. Buccees does not own yellow background logos, or khaki brick buildings, but if you incorporate all of the above non-functional aspects in the list into your store, you are arguably trying to replicate the look and feel of a buccees. That is trade dress infringement.

In the energy drinks business, Red Bull has repeatedly, successfully, sued companies that use a combo of silver, red and blue on their can, regardless of what name you use or how that color combo is put to work. They win every time. You can't purposely make the appearance of your product / service remind your customers of your successful competitor.

I can see how Buccees won this one. If it was the logo alone, I doubt they win. But, the way the logo changed, and some other similarities of the store design are compelling. I doubt they would lose an appeal.

Agreed 100%

I got no problem with it. People mad about it got to understand that even though the sensational headlines may look off to them, this is the way it works. We can't have one big free-for-all in this country or it just wouldn't work.

The dudes at Bucees came up with the concept, however you want to look at it. They pay a ****-ton of taxes to local municipalities and provide well above minimum wage jobs for unskilled labor.

They want to protect what they built from a couple of stores in Brazoria Co to whats probably gonna spread across the south in the next couple years.

Business schools should be using them as an example or taking a simple thing like a C-store and improving on it by essentially "attention to detail." Yeah, theres nothing particularly innovative about the concept, it took them 20-years, but they just did it better. Now somebody is trying to latch on to their coat-tails and they are pushing back IAW existing law.

No problem there on my end.

schmellba99
AG
ilikeit said:

schmellba99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

If that's the one close to Surfside, that thats the same one I remember.

I'm pretty sure that one was around in the late 80s and the early 90s for sure.

That's the original Buc-ee's IIRC.
The original store is at Oyster Creek and Old Angleton road, just off of old 288. Then the 2nd was a little more north at 2004.

The Buc ees down on 332 near Surfside wasn't till the late 90s I believe.
The one in Surfside has been there for a while. I graduated from high school in '95, it was there then. Used to have gas wars between that Buc-Ees and Beach, Bait and Tackle back in the day.
Interesting, for some reason i thought Ernie's #1 was a little further down 332 in one of those smaller shops - about where Pier 30 is now. It's been a long time now, they all start running together.

It's all changed a lot - even Beach Bait & Tackle is no longer - building sat empty for years, but has been razed and a new building is going up in it's place. Spent a lot of time working for the Evans clan when I was a teenager there, had some good times even though we were worked like rented mules.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.