Houston
Sponsored by

Recommend a good litigator/attorney to keep on retainer if ever needed in the future

7,203 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lukeskywalker said:

Happy weekend to all.

Rest assured no one in my household is planning any harm or ill intent or doing anything questionable by law.

Thank you

Then you're not trying hard enough. If you want to hang out here go get some crack rock, a low cost prostitute, a gun and about 25 four lokos, let nature take its course and report back.
Liquid Wrench
I don't think anyone here would intentionally cause harm to another. The bullets land where they land when you're shooting out the window doing 60mph on a neighborhood street at 2AM.
JYDog90
AG
Retainer.

86 Tex Ag
AG
Afraid to say this, but OP needs a huge dose of common sense.
DRE06
AG
Is OP mentally stable?
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Guy has worked overseas for nonprofits and is retiring... means he is probably rich and wants to stay that way.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Rich from "Non profit"
Jack Cheese
AG
Luke, you may have wandered onto the most sarcastic, least empathetic board on the interwebs to ask your question.

Good luck to y'all and welcome back to the states. I think it is more laid-back in Texas than what you are used to.
one MEEN Ag
AG
The only people who get sued by neighbors for neighborhood things are people who live next to lawyers.

MemorialTXAg
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Rich from "Non profit"

NYSE was a non-profit when it paid Richard Grasso $140 million golden parachute.
BrazosDog02
AG
I live on acreage with the family.

Let me tell you what you NEED.

You need to know where the hospital is and how to get there. I use all manner of body mangling tools to keep the place up, and you probably will too.

You know what I needed to go to the hospital for? A snake bite.....twice..once for me and once for my 2 year old.

**** the lawyer...keep the emergency room handy.
The Original AG 76
AG
COIN SLOT !!!
IDAGG
AG
No problem. It may be the fact that you have been out of country for years and are alarmed by all of the ambulance chasing lawyer ads on TV. The best advice was mentioned by several posters already, and I will chime in and agree.... get a liability umbrella policy. These are relatively cheap. I think mine is around $400/yr for $1M in coverage. This will cover you if someone comes in your yard and breaks a leg in a badger hole, or dies when a tree limb falls on them. Not making fun of you, but the things that could happen where you would need a lot of insurance or a lawyer are so remote that you can get $1M in coverage for $400/yr. Why is that amount of coverage so cheap? Think about it. That puts the risk in perspective.

If this yell at clouds sue-happy neighbor of yours is directly adjacent to your property, just be careful what you do near his property. If he lives down the road and is not adjacent to you, then I doubt you will have problems unless you do donuts in his front yard.
T Durden
AG
Guys. He may live next to the Nichols clan that threatens lawsuits at the drop of a hat! Having an attorney on speed dial is a must if that is the case here...
Token
AG
Bob Loblaw is really good
notheranymore
Another recommendation for an umbrella insurance policy.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Unless you have specific and/or special business needs, a standard liability policy should be sufficient for the average homeowner. Not only does excess insurance carry a cost, it can make you a target. For anyone familiar with tactics and advertising of Thomas J. Henry, a potential client in an accident with a "commercial vehicle" (which is often a small business' pickup truck) with $1million policy limits is their bailiwick.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
BMX Bandit
An umbrella policy is very cheap.

If you have ANY non-exempt assets, you should have an umbrella policy.
shihitemuslim
AG
Lawsuits take time to develop. Personal injury attorneys only go after cases that have insurnace policies attached. If there is no insurance policy, I can't imagine them really going after personal assets unless your bank account has $500k in it. I would get an umbrella policy if your worried. If you get sued, your insurnace policy will front the cost for an attorney. Lawsuit take over a year to resolve. They also take a lot of resources. You have to be worth it for a plaintiffs attorney to make a solid amount from a contingency.
JSKolache
AG
You need insurance not a lawyer yet
lukeskywalker
Thank you to all of you. We do not have such a generous amount in our bank unfortunately.

We will definitely speak to our insurance company and look into the umbrella policy, this advice has been very helpful.

Thank you
aTm2004
AG
How big of an azzhole are you where you need a lawyer readily available?
FtBendTxAg
AG
I'd suggest marrying into a family of them. Works well.
longeryak
AggieT said:

You don't need an attorney, you need an Umbrella Policy.
This. A million dollar liability umbrella is under $500 a year. You are basically buying legal representation insurance as the insurer is going to throw their legal team at not paying out.

EDIT- should have read to the end of the thread to see it was covered.
longeryak
BMX Bandit said:

An umbrella policy is very cheap.

If you have ANY non-exempt assets, you should have an umbrella policy.
Please make sure you discuss this with parents that have inherited second homes/properties and other assets. I know someone in their 80s about to lose a 3 generation farm they inherited to cover a liability they were underinsured for.
bevokilla
AG
lukeskywalker said:

Second point our neighbor has sued in small claims court other neighbors in the past for example if a neighbors dog went on to his property repeatedly he sued them, or he sued another neighbor because they stored fertilizer near their fence, and then some of the fertilizer washed down on to his lake, and killed his fish so he sued them etc.

We just want to be prepared if we ever need a lawyer for such matters

we never will do anything which is even questionably against the law

You don't need a lawyer you need a realtor. Your neighbor sounds like an *******.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
What others said about the umbrella policy for non-exempt assets should cover you.

Your neighbor sounds like an ass wipe. Recommend just trying to make friends and playing nice if he complains about something legitimate. If he complains about nonsense, I can recommend a really good flaming bag of dog poop on the doorstep guy.

With respect to actually needing an attorney, get in touch with friends and family who have used or know an attorney. What you need is someone that you can trust to point you in the right direction in the event you ever need a lawyer. Members of the bar are generally pretty good at getting you to the right place for whatever need may arise.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.