Houston
Sponsored by

Classic Houston TV and Radio Commercials

12,877 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BillYeoman
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
pretty sure ch 11 has always been KGUL or KHOU
Stat Monitor Repairman
I imagine theres some middle aged engineers at NASA and Space X that would tell you their first interest in electronics and satellites developed at 3am while trying to find a satellite feed of the Spice Channel.
sts7049
AG
ah i forgot about those. didn't they always have that little baby cry at the end or something?

also...can you even buy a waterbed anymore???
Bruce Almighty
AG
HSE was in the low 20s I think.
cone
AG
thanks!
Post removed:
by user
98Ag99Grad
AG
How about the old Harold's in the Heights commercials? "I look 60, talk 70, and shoot 80... when my putters hot." Something like that. Looked all over youtube but couldn't find a clip.
aTm2004
AG
sts7049 said:

ah i forgot about those. didn't they always have that little baby cry at the end or something?

also...can you even buy a waterbed anymore???
I dated a girl in college that still had a waterbed. It was an experience.
ccolley68
AG
Have we already forgotten the good hand doctor and his epic family commercials?
Jackal99
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

"Ray! There goes that ClobberLine again."

About 6 and a half years ago, my wife and I were in NYC for our first anniversary. We were sitting at our gate in LaGuardia waiting to board our flight home, and Ray walked up to our waiting area. I pointed him out to my wife (who grew up out west) and said, "Hey, that's Ray Childress." She said, "The name sounds familiar..." I say, "Played for the Houston Oilers and the Aggies." She said, "Yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me." I say, "Clobberline guy?" She says, "OOOOHHH!! Yeah, I thought he looked familiar."

Then he came and sat down right next to me and we watched the NFL playoff game together. Then his wife walked up and asked him if he was ready to board. He said, "I was born ready" and got up. When we got on the plane, Ray and his son were sitting in first class; when we to got to our seats, his wife was sitting right across the aisle from us.

TLDR: Even people who don't know Ray know who the Clobberline guy is.
lb sand
AG

I bought a no-name car stereo here for my first truck. It had an auto-reverese cassette deck.
88jrt06
AG
Texicurean said:

I bought a no-name car stereo here for my first truck. It had an auto-reverese cassette deck.

Auto-reverse rich kids.
anaggiemom
S
My husband still randomly sings "Buy your Chevrolet from Mike Persia, Mike Persia Chevrolet" . Has since the day I met him in 1966.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Cal Worthington and his dog spot !... (which in this commercial is a bear) ... (that he may or may not be feeding a beer)

tamug90

Hwy30East
88jrt06 said:

"Just as I care for my own family...."

(HOFer)

Those words are so creepy.
88jrt06
Bibendum 86
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Cal Worthington and his dog spot !... (which in this commercial is a bear) ... (that he may or may not be feeding a beer)

Bit of Aggie context here.

Cal Worthington bought Richardson Chevrolet, which was at the NW corner of Hillcroft and 59; that was the entire tract bounded by the feeder, Hillcroft and Harwin. The "call Cal and his dog Spot" was a gimmick from Worthington's chain of dealerships in southern California; he'd wrestle lions, tigers, bears et cetera.

Richardson Chevrolet was owned by a guy by the name of Bernard, a devoted Aggie with long ties to GM. He took a big chunk of the cash that Cal and his dog spot paid and became the name sponsor for the north end zone facility at Kyle Field. I think his family still owns Knapp on Washington at Houston.
BillYeoman
Untimed Down said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Bit of Aggie context here.

Cal Worthington bought Richardson Chevrolet, which was at the NW corner of Hillcroft and 59; that was the entire tract bounded by the feeder, Hillcroft and Harwin. The "call Cal and his dog Spot" was a gimmick from Worthington's chain of dealerships in southern California; he'd wrestle lions, tigers, bears et cetera.

Richardson Chevrolet was owned by a guy by the name of Bernard, a devoted Aggie with long ties to GM. He took a big chunk of the cash that Cal and his dog spot paid and became the name sponsor for the north end zone facility at Kyle Field. I think his family still owns Knapp on Washington at Houston.

I believe his grandson is Jay Richardson. Involved in ministry in Haiti and helped bring the Aggie football team down there last summer for outreach work. Jay is a solid guy.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.