Houston
Sponsored by

Jubally/MCAD?

4,490 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cru
kubiak03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
doesn't someone on here work for them?

if so, question. I live in SE Montgomery county and when I put my address in, says data not available. Am I just asking for info too early or are they not doing the area? Last year I was told via their website, my address was not covered.

thx
spider96
AG
Try sending a pm to Cru
ktownag08
AG
I emailed them last week. They were still waiting on the bulk data from MCAD, but they definitely intend to support.
jphjr
AG
Has anyone used Jubally? If so, what has been your experience with the data that they provide - were you able to successfully lower property taxes?
Cru
S
Expect to be finished testing and deployed to production this weekend, if not before. Growing is hard when dealing with protest deadlines shortly after receiving data.

They had more issues with the data they gave us but I think I got the right data from them today.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Hitting 3/3, the first couple years got the exact number Jubally suggested. Last year got 2/3 of savings because I only had 2 comp locations. This is in Harris
lunchbox
Has anyone from Montgomery Cty actually received their appraisal info in the mail? I noticed my property was updated for 2017 a couple of weeks ago (no increase) but have yet to get the paperwork and appeals info.
StillNotAnAggie
I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

You can also check the updated value on MCAD.
kubiak03
AG
Thanks for the update cru

I got my appraisal a few weeks ago as well.

I got bumped about 5%. Still think too much and should be lower than what it was last year.

We saw the board last year and they flat out just chose to ignore our info and went straight to The MCAD rep. We also spent 1.5 hours with MCAD before our meeting arguing over the extra 250 sq feet they had us under. I broke out our actual home plan and they still woulnt budge until I asked for a higher manager. Took 3 of those fools to figure it out

They are idiots. Going to give jubally a try this year.
Cru
S
kubiak03 said:

Thanks for the update cru

I got my appraisal a few weeks ago as well.

I got bumped about 5%. Still think too much and should be lower than what it was last year.

We saw the board last year and they flat out just chose to ignore our info and went straight to The MCAD rep. We also spent 1.5 hours with MCAD before our meeting arguing over the extra 250 sq feet they had us under. I broke out our actual home plan and they still woulnt budge until I asked for a higher manager. Took 3 of those fools to figure it out

They are idiots. Going to give jubally a try this year.
We've found these smaller counties operate in a good ole' boy model. All you can do is provide the best evidence you can, and ask they consider it. The proptax system sucks, really.
Bassmaster
AG
That became obvious to me when I had to deal with them for the first time last year. Here was my scenario. Closed on a house on 5/27/16. The appraisal was roughly 130k greater than what I paid, so I protested and said my value was what I paid for it. They said nope, the value is as of 1/1/16 so they dropped it to 30k over purchase price. I argued over and over saying that the value didn't drop by 30k from 1/1/16 to 4/18/16 (the day I went under contract on the house). They said it did, see you next year. Now my value for 2017 is about 80k greater than what I paid in May 2016 (50K greater than last year's appraisal). If they are right, my value dropped by 30k from 1/1/16 to 5/27/16 and then increased by 80k from 5/27/16 to 1/1/17. Insane.
03_Aggie
You guys cover Galveston county too? Looks like an attempted protest is in my future for the first time. Looks like the drilled our area this year.
xMusashix
AG
Does jubally provide data for market value /sales data or just unequal appraisal protests?

AggieT
AG
Both
clintaggie04
AG
03_Aggie said:

You guys cover Galveston county too? Looks like an attempted protest is in my future for the first time. Looks like the drilled our area this year.

Yeah. What he said. I have a whole neighborhood of people in League City looking for someone to hire to fight GCAD.
xMusashix
AG
Thank you
ktownag08
AG
Cru, any luck getting MCAD data loaded? Really curious what your report looks like for my property.
agdx88
AG
Cru - since you will be looking here, any update on Fort Bend County data?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
cru...

Cru
S
closer. Just fighting poor data. Trash in = trash out. We really don't want to give trash away, so we're recycling what we've be provided. Give us the next couple of days, but go ahead and file your protest form, you don't have to have your argument prepared until your hearings.

Sorry for the delay.
the4aces
AG
Cru,

Do you think you will be able to process Brazos this year?
Cru
S
Yes. I genuinely believe will have Brazos, Montgomery, ft bend, Williamson, and Lubbock this will.

Travis was ready last week. I don't feel Bexar and Galveston we'll get around to for various reasons.
bedofbrass33
AG
Is it worth protesting a 20% hike in property tax on a new purchase even though they have it as $20K below what I paid?
ktownag08
AG
Not much to lose, but I'm no expert.

In my case, my assessed value came in below what I paid (just barely), and I plan to protest. The EXACT same floor plan with very similar upgrades as mine (both were builder spec homes) that sold 1.5 months after me for 5k more than I paid was assessed at 35k less than mine. Mine should be the same in my opinion. The house is just around the corner from me.
Cru
S
bedofbrass33 said:

Is it worth protesting a 20% hike in property tax on a new purchase even though they have it as $20K below what I paid?
I wouldn't jack with that.
kubiak03
AG
Sorry to bird dog you Cru? Any news for MCAD? We got our hearing date and of course it's may 31st.

I thought they first set a time to see the district to discuss before going to board?
Cru
S
I'll be turning Montgomery live tomorrow afternoon. Likely sending an email out on Monday.
kubiak03
AG
good deal. thank you
ktownag08
AG
Well I pulled my Jubally report, and it looked favorable for me based on their data protesting based upon being Unequal. I went into MCAD office today, and did the informal hearing with Jubally information as well as another direct comparable property I pulled myself.

Long story short, I should have heeded the warning from other posters about MCAD. They're idiots. They had my "purchase price" in their system, albeit 7k lower than I paid. The assessed value they had for me was higher than said purchase price.

I presented information for the direct comparable first. It was same builder, floorplan, and features that closed 1.5 months after me. It was assessed 35k less. It's directly around the corner from me. MCAD told me that it's a different neighorbood even though it's the same one-way in/out gated section of the neighborhood. The legacy neighborhood description for my home and the other was differerent is what they based their arguement on. MCAD pulled up the map, and saw what I meant and said I see your point, but they're different neighborhoods (WTF). After the first piece of evidence, MCAD said since we have your sales price, I'll offer you 1% lower than our listed purchase price. I showed MCAD the Jubally info next, and they disregarded it all since "they had sales price". I just accepted the offer since I could see the writing on the wall. I said sales price was as of earlier in 2016, and is not the value as of Jan 1, 2017 which is what it's supposed to be based upon. They said that since we have your sales price, that it's the assessed value period. I then said "well then why was my assessed value higher than the sales price in your system". They had no response other than "take the 1% or go to ARB".

I'm happy that I was able to get my first year of taxable value at less than what I paid by 10k, but the Jubally info didn't help one bit since as MCAD kept repeating, "they had sales price". I could see that that's what they would lean on if I went to the ARB to argue Unequal so I took the offer.

Jubally seems like a great service and their info was super logical, but I could tell it wouldn't help win this round for me. Oh well, I saved a little more than the $75 even though the Jububally info was ignored so basically a wash. I'll try again next year, and keep protesting every year.
Cru
S
Just curious, but did you read the jubally instructions regarding a purchase of your home after January 1st of the previous year? I believe we listed out three different scenarios and how to handle each one.

Regardless, the first protest season after you purchase a home is the most difficult one, mostly due to a county's appraisers and arb members not really understanding the code.
ktownag08
AG
Cru,

I did read it, and I fall into Scenaio 1. I felt like the settlement was the best deal even though she was blatant about disregarding the Uneqal portion of my protest. Based upon what she was saying and others have said about MCAD, I considered this a win. My gut told me I wasn't going to get a much better result in front of an ARB (especially in year 1) since as she kept saying, "we have your sales price", and spending a bunch more time was unlikely to yield a much better result worth that effort.

The Jubally report was well done, and affords the opportunity to present the information according to how things should work. I'll continue to use in it in the future. I just wanted to share my story with everyone more about MCAD than Jubally. I still came out ahead and saved just a bit more than my $75 so it's a win.

Cru
S
If you're happy, I'm happy. Before purchasing next year, reach out to me and remind me of this thread. I'll see what I can do to throw you a bone.
ktownag08
AG
Will do, thanks!
Slappy74
AG
We closed on a new construction home on May 8th. I just checked MCAD and the appraised value is ~20% greater than what our purchase price was. Should I protest this now, using our purchase price, or do I need to wait until next year to protest?
Cru
S
May 8th of this year?

Value should be as of January 1st. When did construction start and end?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.