Houston
Sponsored by

Considering a move to North Houston. Where to live?

19,270 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by XpressAg09
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Satellite of Love said:

HumbleAg said:

ktownag08 said:

Go up Hardy to Grand Parkway and exit Riley Fuzzel.. There's Spring Trails, Harmony, Bender's Landing, Woodson's Creek, and Falls at Imperial Oaks all zoned to Conroe ISD. Easy to get to Woodlands when you want, but less daily traffic.

I live in that area and drive to JFK/Beltway (airport entrance) everyday for work. Takes me 25 minutes tops.

A lot of growth happening here now.
This!

My youngest daughter and her family moved to Harmony Creek about this time last year so I am in that area fairly often. Lots of development happening along Grand Parkway.
Enjoy all the new flooding that will happen because of it!!!!
This. The San Jac floods nearly every year, and the new construction with surely help with the floods.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

****ing Kingwood and crossfit. Can't have anything to do with them without telling everyone about it.
I always laugh at the people who grew up in Kingwood like it was Mayberry or something yet won't live there now.
My wife grew up in Kingwood (well, from middle school on) and it seems her friends from HS that didn't come back after college are all Hipsters or lesbians who can't stand how red the area is. Most live in Austin and a couple in the Montrose area. A couple of our friends, who are a lesbian couple, recently moved to the area but refused to move into Kingwood proper because of how much the bathroom bill was slaughtered (I believe Porker's bathroom bill was voted against in the high-80's within 77345 and 77339). They settled on Porter, which is even more laughable...move to an even redder area with a worse school district. BRILLIANT!!
There are are a few hens in Eagle Springs who act like it's some sort of suburban utopia and always fawn for all the things that Kingwood has and Atascocita doesn't. They don't realize that Atascocita is solidly working and middle class and the average income and education levels will never be what Kingwood has yet they wonder why there's no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

I find that funny because we have an old family friend who grew up in Humble in the late 70's. Atascocita was where the money was and Humble was the working class area. If you were in Atascocita, you had made it.

I kinda used to live there and now live in Kingwood. So I have seen some changes.

~egon
redag06
Almost all of the new development off the Grand Pkwy all borders the 100yr flood plain. Which we all know will be in the flood plain eventually.
The Wonderer
AG
redag06 said:

Almost all of the new development off the Grand Pkwy all borders the 100yr flood plain. Which we all know will be in the flood plain eventually.
Yep. How many 500 year floods have we had in the last few years?
ktownag08
AG
None of the floods that happened in the last couple of years even came close to Harmony. I did a good amount of research on that.

The only areas I'd be worried about are the very, very back of Benders and portions of Woodson's reserve. Also, the back of the Falls at Imperial Oaks on the North side of 99 gets pretty close to the river which is also what swayed us away from that particular community among other reasons.

SE Montgomery County just East of 45 didn't really develop since there wasn't great access into it before. With 99 open, many companies recently moving to the Woodlands/Conroe area, and the Woodlands close to build out, it's taking off. Will some areas flood eventually, sure, but that's pretty much the norm in many areas across Houston, even Kingwood. I remember 1994 with water all the way to Kingwood Dr on West Lake Houston Pkwy.

Best of luck OP. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter where end up.

The Wonderer
AG
ktownag08 said:

None of the floods that happened in the last couple of years even came close to Harmony. I did a good amount of research on that.

The only areas I'd be worried about are the very, very back of Benders and portions of Woodson's reserve. Also, the back of the Falls at Imperial Oaks on the North side of 99 gets pretty close to the river which is also what swayed us away from that particular community among other reasons.

SE Montgomery County just East of 45 didn't really develop since there wasn't great access into it before. With 99 open, many companies recently moving to the Woodlands/Conroe area, and the Woodlands close to build out, it's taking off. Will some areas flood eventually, sure, but that's pretty much the norm in many areas across Houston, even Kingwood. I remember 1994 with water all the way to Kingwood Dr on West Lake Houston Pkwy.

Best of luck OP. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter where end up.

Oh, I know Harmony is ok. My company built the building the St Luke's ER is currently in.
Waffledynamics
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

****ing Kingwood and crossfit. Can't have anything to do with them without telling everyone about it.
I always laugh at the people who grew up in Kingwood like it was Mayberry or something yet won't live there now.
My wife grew up in Kingwood (well, from middle school on) and it seems her friends from HS that didn't come back after college are all Hipsters or lesbians who can't stand how red the area is. Most live in Austin and a couple in the Montrose area. A couple of our friends, who are a lesbian couple, recently moved to the area but refused to move into Kingwood proper because of how much the bathroom bill was slaughtered (I believe Porker's bathroom bill was voted against in the high-80's within 77345 and 77339). They settled on Porter, which is even more laughable...move to an even redder area with a worse school district. BRILLIANT!!
There are are a few hens in Eagle Springs who act like it's some sort of suburban utopia and always fawn for all the things that Kingwood has and Atascocita doesn't. They don't realize that Atascocita is solidly working and middle class and the average income and education levels will never be what Kingwood has yet they wonder why there's no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
Kingwood has a Trader Joes and Whole Foods?
94chem
Quote:

Kingwood has a Trader Joes and Whole Foods?
No, but we have Whataburger and Culvers.
88jrt06
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

I find that funny because we have an old family friend who grew up in Humble in the late 70's. Atascocita was where the money was and Humble was the working class area. If you were in Atascocita, you had made it.

I kinda used to live there and now live in Kingwood. So I have seen some changes.

~egon

Yesss...now there's....relatively speaking, no money in any of those places. Plus, the apparent lesbo invasion. They'll be running things in no time. I thought the circa-2000 memo was "well, guess it's off to the Woodlands..."?
Aggie369
AG
check out Tomball

great schools, not much traffic....25 min to woodlands, 30 minutes to katy, prob 25/30 min to 45 and beltway 8

1 hour and 15 minutes to college station

check out wildwood neighborhood off northpointe
UndergroundAg
Check out Spring Branch!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
redag06 said:

Demise of fall creek began about a year ago(we sold last April) a low income apt was announced at the front of the neighborhood, as well as just a general mass exodus.

Can you elaborate on this? I've heard about that low income housing but I thought it was tabled. And we have some friends who sold and left Fall Creek who are building in Bender's Landing (no kids) but we also have other friends who have elementary school-age kids and they love it with zero complaints.

And to me, Kingwood remains an odd sort of enclave. For the most part the place has resisted commercial and retail growth like what was seen in the Woodlands and persists as an insular SAHM and Docker's advertisement dad.
chiken
AG
Avoid Eagle Springs. It takes 15 minutes just to get from the neighborhood to 59 or BW8
drumboy
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

~egon
Several of my friends live in Eagle Springs and they like it. I'm getting a pool card so I'll be taking my riffraff self & kids to hang out there this summer with my Ozark Trail Yeti full of jack & coke.

20 years ago me and a couple friends were at Circuit City by Deerbrook looking at the hottest new Alpine CD Players and some wigger was staring at us so my buddy asked TF he was looking it. Then he called us Atascasita P&ssies and Kingwood F&ggots and we were cracking up. Little did he know that we were Crosby rednecks.
The Kraken
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I wouldn't mind living back in Kingwood if I worked on that side of town...though it would be sort of surreal to do so. I do know of a number of high school classmates from the mid 80's who do live there now.
Diggity
AG
then you let the Alpine play...bumping new **** by NWA?
94chem
Quote:

And to me, Kingwood remains an odd sort of enclave. For the most part the place has resisted commercial and retail growth like what was seen in the Woodlands and persists as an insular SAHM and Docker's advertisement dad.
You are correct. Towards the back end (east side) of KW there is a larger percentage of "I'll run the teacher's butt up the flagpole if junior gets lower than a 97" parents, but it's generally more laid back and down to earth than Katy or The Woodlands. The businesses are here to support the local residents. Nobody drives out here to do anything...except to live.
Diggity
AG
Is Katy considered snobby now?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

You are correct. Towards the back end (east side) of KW there is a larger percentage of "I'll run the teacher's butt up the flagpole if junior gets lower than a 97" parents, but it's generally more laid back and down to earth than Katy or The Woodlands. The businesses are here to support the local residents. Nobody drives out here to do anything...except to live.

Another thing I noticed when I was doing commercial real estate brokerage (vs. working for a large REIT now) was that, even though a lot of the residents of Kingwood were obviously successful in terms of earning a middle- to upper-middle class income, it seemed a far more employee/salary-man demographic than an entrepreneurial/executive demographic. If that makes sense.
Diggity
AG
which REIT are you with Finn?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Diggity said:

which REIT are you with Finn?

I'd prefer not to say specifically but we're a publicly-traded, $40B+ in revenue one which specializes in a very, very niche market.

And we're based in Houston.
redag06
As far as I know from friends still in Fall Creek and news before we left, the Low Income Apartment got the green light. There was a low income apartment that Fall Creek fought a few years ago and won, but this time they lost, and it will be right at the front of the neighborhood(east side)

IMO the east side of Fall Creek and the West(Mesa) side are two different neighborhoods. A lot has to do with higher price point homes and better builders on the east side. All it takes is a quick drive thru the east side of the hood to see it is becoming an undesirable neighborhood. Now don't get me wrong, we loved Fall Creek, made a lot of great friends there but just about every friend has now left due to the changes, along with the middle school and high school issues.

We moved to Kingwood (as I'm wearing dockers)and we definitely are seeing a change on our street. We have a neighbor who grew up in Kingwood and moved here just after us from Fall Creek and then we have another young couple, but just about everyone else are original owners from 40 years ago. What we've noticed is the homes that are selling are turning over to couples in their 30's with kids. The old curmudgeons have ALL complained that we paid too much for our updated homes though.
94chem
Finn, I think you are correct. Most of Kingwood is salaried at the going rate. I anecdotally see a lot of homes in the $450K+ range that stay on the market a long time. 35 year olds with household incomes in the $150K range are doing really well, but that much home is an albatross for a large percentage of Kingwood, especially with flat home values (declining relative to inflation).
LeftyAg89
AG
New World Ag, let's see if this is a small world after all.... Do you know Greg R?
(we went to middle school overseas and he ended up coming back to KW for high school, graduated mid-80's and lives there now).
Al Bula
AG
Low income housing.
chimpanzee
Can't argue with most of the Kingwood conclusions (lived here for a decade or so), it's like 75% of what The Woodlands provides at a steep discount. Folks that want that other 25% and pay for it are going to sort out to be a different bunch, plus the high end is way higher in TW vs KW. I can't say I'd live any differently if I moved anywhere though, so if the Dockers fit, I'll wear them.

If we get another massive growth cycle in Houston, I could see development through SE Montgomery county subsuming Porter and more or less merging everything from Lake Houston to Lake Conroe much like west Houston seems nearly contiguous from Cypress to Missouri City. There will always be "the other side of the tracks" type of vibe though comparatively.

I will confirm that the Select League Dad/Dance Mom/Helicopter Tiger Parent rat race is in full effect, at least in my part of KW. I'm betting my children's future on that mess not actually being worth it, wish me luck.

gindaloon
AG
Quote:

I'd prefer not to say specifically but we're a publicly-traded, $40B+ in revenue one which specializes in a very, very niche market.

And we're based in Houston.
I am thinking $40B+ is a typo and you meant $4.0B+. An educated guess is Crown Castle which is a cell phone tower REIT.
drumboy
AG
chimpanzee said:

I will confirm that the Select League Dad/Dance Mom/Helicopter Tiger Parent rat race is in full effect

They have Asians in Kingwood?
chimpanzee
drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

I will confirm that the Select League Dad/Dance Mom/Helicopter Tiger Parent rat race is in full effect

They have Asians in Kingwood?

A couple. Probably more accurate to look at it as a hybrid of transparent resume building without regard to underlying merit of the activities, the "don't you dare give my precious darling genius a B" dynamic and actual academically demanding parenting. It's good and bad, probably bit of it everywhere.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
DryFly said:

aTm2004 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Why would lesbians care about the school district, are they softball coaches?
Awesome!
Col. Steve Austin
AG
The Wonderer said:

Satellite of Love said:

HumbleAg said:

ktownag08 said:

Go up Hardy to Grand Parkway and exit Riley Fuzzel.. There's Spring Trails, Harmony, Bender's Landing, Woodson's Creek, and Falls at Imperial Oaks all zoned to Conroe ISD. Easy to get to Woodlands when you want, but less daily traffic.

I live in that area and drive to JFK/Beltway (airport entrance) everyday for work. Takes me 25 minutes tops.

This!

My youngest daughter and her family moved to Harmony Creek about this time last year so I am in that area fairly often. Lots of development happening along Grand Parkway.
This. The San Jac floods nearly every year, and the new construction with surely help with the floods.
I know, I know but with 100K or so folks moving to the Houston area annually, they gotta put 'em somewhere.
aTm2004
AG
HumbleAg said:

The Wonderer said:

Satellite of Love said:

HumbleAg said:

ktownag08 said:

This!

I know, I know but with 100K or so folks moving to the Houston area annually, they gotta put 'em somewhere.
They should move all of the Katrina evacuees there. #theyreusedtoit
HumbleAg04
AG
Have kids? Schools important?

11418 Lakewood Ests, Houston, TX 77070

Neighbor is listing their house soon. 15-25 minute commute to BW8 and Hardy. House was high and dry in all floods last year.
big ben
AG
Need to stop posting from happy hour
drumboy
AG
Well Taco Bell ain't hiring.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.