Houston
Sponsored by

Skeleton remains found in drywall of house in the heights

38,698 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Flashdiaz
Scientific
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

What was gong on in 1981, culturally, where there were 700+ murders?

For those that were adults at the time did it feel more dangerous then?

I remember it getting bad around the late 80s early 90s. Fox 26 had a whole damn show every night "city under siege" about drugs, murder and crime mainly the crack epidemic, but what the hell was going on in '81?

Highest profile cases I remember were the two girls that were murdered over near white oak outside 610 as a part of a gang initiation. Remember some of the girls going missing along 45 south as well.
Crack era.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats exactly why I think its likely that there are more Coril victims buried around the Heights. Likely under the foundation of someones nice new townhouse.
schmellba99
AG

What was gong on in 1981, culturally, where there were 700+ murders?

For those that were adults at the time did it feel more dangerous then?

I remember it getting bad around the late 80s early 90s. Fox 26 had a whole damn show every night "city under siege" about drugs, murder and crime mainly the crack epidemic, but what the hell was going on in '81?

Highest profile cases I remember were the two girls that were murdered over near white oak outside 610 as a part of a gang initiation. Remember some of the girls going missing along 45 south as well.
That is about the height of the cocaine cowboy era - massive amounts of white powder use back in those days. Also, that is the beginning of the oil bust of the 80's that followed the huge boom that was a result of the 70's Iran Embargo era - so you had a lot of people that were waking up in the morning to find they didn't have a job anymore.
schmellba99
AG
Yeah, it was pretty rough to read, i'll be honest. Between things like this and the fact that I watched Sicario last night, I scare myself at times thinking of how dark the world can be and how I would react if one of my kids went through something like this.
TXTransplant
I ran across that Texas Monthly article not long after I moved here. I had never even heard of the story in passing, so I had no idea what I was getting into when I started reading it. Once I started, I was sucked in and couldn't stop. I read it in the middle of the day and was absolutely terrified/disturbed/creeped out by the story and didn't sleep well for quite some.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
schmellba99 said:

Yeah, it was pretty rough to read, i'll be honest. Between things like this and the fact that I watched Sicario last night, I scare myself at times thinking of how dark the world can be and how I would react if one of my kids went through something like this.

schmellba99
AG
Thats a start.

My wife and I were watching that the other day and she asked me what I would do. I think i scared her a bit with my response.
CDUB98
AG
My guess is that the old lady had one leg fall between the walls, possibly it or the other one broke, and she was just stuck there.
agnatgas
AG
The neighbor thinks she was murdered.

Per 13, two years ago, a Trammel Crow guy said her body was removed from the house.

Strange.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Great.... I read that article right before bed...
White Liberals=The Worst
schmellba99 said:

NM
Jaydoug
AG
Explain the lack of any clothing except for one scrap of material?
smokeythebear
AG
Jaydoug said:

Water heater went on the fritz in the middle of her shower?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Jaydoug said:

One of cat lady's 50 cats got stuck in the attic and she went after it?
Al Bula
AG
InnerCityAg
ITL
TexAg15
AG
This thread lead me to read about Corrl for the first time in my life. I wonder why he isn't mentioned in the same breath as Dahmer or Gracy?
JJxvi
AG
Because he died before his crimes were known.
aggiez03
AG
TexAg15 said:

This thread lead me to read about Corrl for the first time in my life. I wonder why he isn't mentioned in the same breath as Dahmer or Gracy?
I think the fact that he never had a trial, so there wasn't the media coverage.

Also, based on the story, it sure appears that the Houston brass just wanted it to go away.

That mayor, police chief, and detectives are all despicable people in the way they handled everything, from not investigating the missing kids, to blaming the victims, and then just to stop searching when they passed the Serial killer murder record...

What about all the poor families who never know what happened to their missing kids?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Early on in the case, the mother of one of the missing boys filed a report with HPD regarding a suspicious car cruising the Heights neighborhood. She gave HPD the plate number and description of the vehicle.

HPD took the report and put it in the file. No one ever followed up on it.

A couple years later after Corll was dead and Brooks and Henley were in jail. Someone decided to write a book about the murders and was reviewing the police records. The author runs across the police report filed by the mother with a plate number matching a Pontiac registered to Dean Corll.
smokeythebear
AG

Early on in the case, the mother of one of the missing boys filed a report with HPD regarding a suspicious car cruising the Heights neighborhood. She gave HPD the plate number and description of the vehicle.

A couple years later after Corll was dead and Brooks and Henley were in jail. Someone decided to write a book about the murders and was reviewing the police records. The author runs across the police report filed by the mother with a plate number matching a Pontiac registered to Dean Corll.
I read that too, though it didn't say how many other "suspicious cars" she might have called in about during that time. For all we know, she reported a new license plate weekly. Not that that is an excuse, but I just took it as "maybe we don't have the full context here".
Stat Monitor Repairman
I imagine that whoever was working the case was probably overwhelmed with a bunch of frantic mothers trying to figure out what happened to their kid.

Say the police do knock on Corll's door one day. Cop sees that he lives nearby. Has lived in the area for several years, family owns a local business in the Heights, Army vet, works for HL&P. He probably would have been dismissed in short order anyway.

What gets me is how most of the missing boys probably went to the same jr high / high school. I wonder what kind of reaction classmates had to 20+ kids they knew disappearing over the course of 3-4 years. Maybe dropping out was pretty common and like the poster above said, they were the kind of kids nobody would really miss.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I've got to figure the negative post-war turn the Heights took may have played into the illusion of disaffected youths who ran away from home.
Stat Monitor Repairman
It's crazy to think about how different things must have been, A year or two ago a girl in Oak Forest went out for a run and "went missing" when her parents couldn't reach her on her mobile. Within a couple hours the facebook army went on red alert. The media caught wind of it and fired off breaking news alerts, "girl abducted in Oak Forest." Turns out she was a couple blocks over at her boyfriends house with her phone off and was oblivious to what was going on.

Most these kids dissapeared one day with nothing but the clothes on their back. Seems like if you were were going to run away you would have taken a few things with you. I can imagine the word had to spread in the community about kids dissapearing under similar circumstances.

There was no facebook grandstanding. I can imagine some parents kept quiet because they felt like a failure for ostensibly having their kid run away from home.
White Liberals=The Worst

That is both astounding and infuriating.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Post removed:
by user
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I apparently put my phone on airplane mode for my flight from San Antonio just in time to double post when I took it off of airplane mode on landing.
wessimo
AG
Back to the heights lady, it sounds like the cats may have eaten her body after they ran out of food. One of the articles says her remains were disturbed by animals. Eventually the cats died also. Must have been a horrible mess to clean up. I can't understand how nobody found the body during the cleanup or the renovations.
Ag_07
AG
So is there any validity to the fell through the attic theory?

I'm not buying that. I'm not buying how no one would've smelled or noticed a decomposing body in the wall. Not to get too grotesque, but as the body decomposes wouldn't it seep through the drywall and you'd notice big stains on the wall?
smokeythebear
AG
Ag_07 said:

So is there any validity to the fell through the attic theory?

I'm not buying that. I'm not buying how no one would've smelled or noticed a decomposing body in the wall. Not to get too grotesque, but as the body decomposes wouldn't it seep through the drywall and you'd notice big stains on the wall?
How many cats were in the house? They said all the cats were found dead inside the house so, presumably, they ate much of her body (avoiding large parts of decomposition) and also cleaning up after all the dead cats would have covered any residual "stains" left. Who knows, maybe the cats picked her bone dry.

Could also make sense why the neighbors saw them taking out "her body". Presumably, that was bags containing dead cats.
RK
AG
Quote:

Not to get too grotesque, but as the body decomposes wouldn't it seep through the drywall and you'd notice big stains on the wall?
do you even shiplap, bro?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
RK said:

Quote:

Not to get too grotesque, but as the body decomposes wouldn't it seep through the drywall and you'd notice big stains on the wall?
do you even shiplap, bro?

This
http://swamplot.com/alexan-heights-holdout-house-where-the-skeleton-was-found-last-weekend-now-up-for-sale/2017-03-09/
P.H. Dexippus
AG
From the comments, "The kitchen could use a remodel, but the house definitely has good bones."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.