Houston
Sponsored by

Skeleton remains found in drywall of house in the heights

38,639 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Flashdiaz
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Probably two different people.

Coral was called the candy man bacause his family owned a candy factory across fro Helms Elementary and lured kids in by handing out candy samples.
TXAG 05
AG
The pixie sticks guy is also called Candy Man, but the real one was Corll.

It's surprising that the story isn't more well known, considering how many people he killed
JJxvi
AG
Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/lastpodcastontheleft/episode-210-dean-corll-part-one-the-pouting-room
88jrt06
AG
Ronald Clark O'Brian. (see wiki)

"The Candy Man", per national news.
I was a kid during this late 60s - mid70s period. O'Brian was better known as "The Candy Man" than Corll in Houston, at least. (He killed with candy, literally). Corll was called numerous things, for sure, including "Candy Man...", mostly, at the time, he was known as "worst mass murderer ever".

But, O'Brian was THE "Candy Man" in the local press. A shocking story about an optician in debt, who loaded up
giant pixie sticks, gve them to kids, including his own on Halloween, and killed for insurance $$$.

So, not incorrect. Guess they both had the name.

Clavell
AG
That is how I remember it also. I was born in 1960 and remember both cases pretty well.
W
AG
HPD had serious issues in the 70's
Finn Maccumhail
AG
W said:

I think that was true with a lot of PDs back then. Go read some of the stuff about Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy. They were almost completely ignored by police because it was thought there was no possible way they'd be involved almost up until the point where it was completely undeniable how evil they really were.
88jrt06
AG
W said:

It was the freaking wild west around here.

Houston homicides 2016.....302
Houston homicides 1981.....701 (record)

With a much smaller population.
H-town was US murder capital for awhile.
Most big cities have dropped in recent years, of course, but....
GoneGirl
AG
It seems like it was quite the haven for serial killers back in the day....

White Liberals=The Worst
Didn't they find a ton of old skeletal remains buried throughout the grounds back when they tore down the Allen Parkway projects?
Ag03 CQE
AG
TxElsie said:

It seems like it was quite the haven for serial killers back in the day....

Still better than Cabot Cove, Maine.
Ag03 CQE
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

Didn't they find a ton of old skeletal remains buried throughout the grounds back when they tore down the Allen Parkway projects?

Something something Alan Parsons Project.
agracer
AG
88jrt06 said:

Ronald Clark O'Brian. (see wiki)

"The Candy Man", per national news.
I was a kid during this late 60s - mid70s period. O'Brian was better known as "The Candy Man" than Corll in Houston, at least. (He killed with candy, literally). Corll was called numerous things, for sure, including "Candy Man...", mostly, at the time, he was known as "worst mass murderer ever".

But, O'Brian was THE "Candy Man" in the local press. A shocking story about an optician in debt, who loaded up
giant pixie sticks, gve them to kids, including his own on Halloween, and killed for insurance $$$.

So, not incorrect. Guess they both had the name.

wish you hadn't posted that ... and me being dumb enough to Wiki...
spider96
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Most walls have a top plate of 2x horizontal 2"x4"s that would prevent you ending up between walls. Even if no top plate was there, the width between walls is typically 4".

Depends if she fell down into assume kind of dead space for hvac or the like
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

Wasn't that a slave cemetery? Or maybe that was over by the old Jeff Davis Hospital. I forget.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Was a kid in the late 70s early 80s. I remember hearing the name Elmer Wayne Henley. Probably brought up by my parents / grandparents to scare me into not wandering off and to be careful of strangers.

One of Corl's victims worked at the Long John Silvers on Yale which is now Heights Asian Cafe. If you look at the last known sightings of some of the victims are all over the neighborhood, 13th and Shepherd, White Oak and Studewood, up near the 20th and Heights.

Does anyone have any personal connection to the case or personal accounts of events from that time?

It's unreal that som many kids went missing and were presumed to have run away from home.
W
AG
yep, back in the late 70's / early 80's on the east side of town...3 homicides was considered a "slow night" at the local precinct
W
AG
and of course there was the "throwdown weapon" incident in the 70's too
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Was a kid in the late 70s early 80s. I remember hearing the name Elmer Wayne Henley. Probably brought up by my parents / grandparents to scare me into not wandering off and to be careful of strangers.

One of Corl's victims worked at the Long John Silvers on Yale which is now Heights Asian Cafe. If you look at the last known sightings of some of the victims are all over the neighborhood, 13th and Shepherd, White Oak and Studewood, up near the 20th and Heights.

Does anyone have any personal connection to the case or personal accounts of events from that time?

It's unreal that som many kids went missing and were presumed to have run away from home.

It seems that was something of a national phenomenon at the time and lots of kids actually did run off to try and do the hippie thing.
swimmerbabe11
That guy was really bad at covering up murder.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What was gong on in 1981, culturally, where there were 700+ murders?

For those that were adults at the time did it feel more dangerous then?

I remember it getting bad around the late 80s early 90s. Fox 26 had a whole damn show every night "city under siege" about drugs, murder and crime mainly the crack epidemic, but what the hell was going on in '81?

Highest profile cases I remember were the two girls that were murdered over near white oak outside 610 as a part of a gang initiation. Remember some of the girls going missing along 45 south as well.
JJxvi
AG

Dad, Uncles grew up in the Heights in the 70s, probably not PC but I think my Dad's older brother basically says that all (meaning most of the ones he knows of I guess, not all) of the guys who were killed were kinda #$%hole type guys. I think my Mom has said that Tim Kerley, who was one of the intended victims when Corll was shot by Henley was a member of a church that they went to.
Ag_07
AG
Reading up on it a bit the fck up theory sounds about right. From what I gathered he enticed them with drugs, booze, and partying.

And his victims were mostly in the 13-17 range so I'm not sure I buy the whole 'he used candy' theory.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ag_07 said:

Reading up on it a bit the fck up theory sounds about right. From what I gathered he enticed them with drugs, booze, and partying.

And his victims were mostly in the 13-17 range so I'm not sure I buy the whole 'he used candy' theory.

It wasn't so much that he used candy, it was that his mother owned a small candy factory that he worked at.
jenn96
AG
That Skip Hollandsworth article is horrifying. What I can't get over is that in several cases there were two boys from the same family. Could you imaging that your son disappears, and then a year later another one of your sons disappear? I can't even imagine that kind of pain, and how it must have felt when the cops assumed they just ran off.

Ag_07
AG
Yeah I got that, but some on here were saying it was because he used candy to lure his victims.

That's what I'm chalking up to confusion between the two.
Stat Monitor Repairman
This is from wiki article on him citing a couple books on the murders and the Texas Monthly article it may have been the case that David Brooks (an accomplice) was lured by candy. The murders started in 1970, but ive read some theories that he may have killed before that.

In 1965,[16] the Corll Candy Company relocated to 22nd Street, directly across the street from Helms Elementary School. Corll was known to give free candy to local children,[19]:3651 in particular teenage boys: as a result of this behavior, he earned himself the nicknames the Candy Man and the Pied Piper. The company also employed a small work force, and he was seen to behave flirtatiously towards several teenage male employees.[20] Corll is known to have installed a pool table at the rear of the candy factory where employees and local youths would congregate.

In 1967, Corll befriended 12-year-old David Owen Brooks,[11] then a bespectacled sixth grade student and one of the many children to whom he gave free candy. Brooks initially became one of Corll's many youthful close companions; the youth regularly socialized with Corll and various teenage boys who congregated at the rear of the candy company. He also joined Corll on the regular trips he took to south Texas' beaches in the company of various youths, and later harked to the fact that Corll was the first adult male who did not mock his appearance.[22] Whenever Brooks told Corll he needed cash, he was given money, and the youth began to view Corll as a father figure.[21] Upon Corll's urging, a sexual relationship gradually developed between the two: beginning in 1969,[23] Corll paid Brooks in cash or with gifts to allow him to perform fellatio on the youth.[24]

White Liberals=The Worst
Ag_07 said:

Yeah I got that, but some on here were saying it was because he used candy to lure his victims.

That's what I'm chalking up to confusion between the two.
I thought they were talking about the OTHER "Candy Man" killer.
schmellba99
AG
TXTransplant said:

CincyAg said:

I can't believe this is the first I've heard of The Candy Man.

Just finished reading his Wikipedia page...creepy as eff.

Read the Texas Monthly article by Skip Hollandsworth. It's equal parts incredibly riveting and disturbing.

The original plus two follow-ups.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-lost-boys/

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/latest-news-on-the-corll-investigation/

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/a-closer-look-at-one-of-dean-corlls-victims/

Well...there went quite a while of my time reading those articles. Damn. Just...damn.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
schmellba99 said:

TXTransplant said:

CincyAg said:

Read the Texas Monthly article by Skip Hollandsworth. It's equal parts incredibly riveting and disturbing.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/a-closer-look-at-one-of-dean-corlls-victims/

Well...there went quite a while of my time reading those articles. Damn. Just...damn.

I've read those in the past but it's been a while, probably not since I've had kids. Anyway, I started to read the first one earlier today and I couldn't. It's just so sick and disturbing and the thought of one of my boys disappearing.
smokeythebear
AG

This is from wiki article on him citing a couple books on the murders and the Texas Monthly article it may have been the case that David Brooks (an accomplice) was lured by candy. The murders started in 1970, but ive read some theories that he may have killed before that.

In 1965,[16] the Corll Candy Company relocated to 22nd Street, directly across the street from Helms Elementary School. Corll was known to give free candy to local children,[19]:3651 in particular teenage boys: as a result of this behavior, he earned himself the nicknames the Candy Man and the Pied Piper. The company also employed a small work force, and he was seen to behave flirtatiously towards several teenage male employees.[20] Corll is known to have installed a pool table at the rear of the candy factory where employees and local youths would congregate.

In 1967, Corll befriended 12-year-old David Owen Brooks,[11] then a bespectacled sixth grade student and one of the many children to whom he gave free candy. Brooks initially became one of Corll's many youthful close companions; the youth regularly socialized with Corll and various teenage boys who congregated at the rear of the candy company. He also joined Corll on the regular trips he took to south Texas' beaches in the company of various youths, and later harked to the fact that Corll was the first adult male who did not mock his appearance.[22] Whenever Brooks told Corll he needed cash, he was given money, and the youth began to view Corll as a father figure.[21] Upon Corll's urging, a sexual relationship gradually developed between the two: beginning in 1969,[23] Corll paid Brooks in cash or with gifts to allow him to perform fellatio on the youth.[24]

Yea, I mean the only solved cases were ones where the two boys were involved, right? The first one being the first time Brooks witnessed it, and Corll had two victims in that instance. I'm no expert, but I don't think you go for two victims with the very first attack. Furthermore, who is to say he didn't have another accomplice before Brooks to help him? I imagine capturing two boys would have been tough to do with only one person.

He moved to the Heights when he was 16 and died at 33. That is a long time to be working at the candy company to have only begun killing people at the age of 30 when the candy company closed.
jenn96
AG
I think he almost certainly killed before that. Consider he was killing almost one boy a month (averaged out) - no way he just woke up one morning with that compulsion. By the time he got the two teenagers involved he already knew what to do, they just made it easier by delivering their friends to him. That torture board described in the article was already up and in use before Brooks started bringing him victims.

Hell, he cold have done the exact same thing - recruiting a young "apprentice" to help find victims - and then just raped and killed his apprentice at some point and then started all over again. There's no way of even knowing if Brooks and Henley were his first apprentices.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah, supposedly he was already noted to have a weird affinity for rolls of plastic sheeting and a nice hobby for digging holes around town and in the candy store basement etc (to bury old candy or some bull****) prior to 1970.
GoneGirl
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

schmellba99 said:

TXTransplant said:

CincyAg said:

I've read those in the past but it's been a while, probably not since I've had kids. Anyway, I started to read the first one earlier today and I couldn't. It's just so sick and disturbing and the thought of one of my boys disappearing.
My son is 13 - the same age as some of those boys, and it had the same effect on me. I just can't wrap my mind around something...someone so evil.

My kiddo's phone died the other day, and he couldn't call us to remind us that he had a game club after school. He was afraid we wouldn't remember to pick him up and started to walk home. My husband went to pick him up and he wasn't there, and since his phone was dead, I couldn't use find my iphone to track him.

Logic told me he was most likely ok - the walk home is maybe two miles - through the neighborhood.

But the mom part of me went into panic mode. All the nightmarish things like this story pop into your head.

My husband found him walking up West Lake Houston Parkway and they came home together, but the fear must have shown on my face because as soon as he got out of the car, he hugged me.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Theory makes perfect sense to me. A couple other points are that Brooks says Coril told him his first victims were buried in California. My guess is that he captured transient kids. That got to be too time consuming and he got lazy and started capturing kids from his own neighborhood.

One of the most disturbing things about this case is the rumored links to some larger trafficking network. Article says photos / videos of some of the victims were found in an investigation unrelated to the murders.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.