Houston
Sponsored by

PSA - Marathon this Sunday

7,626 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Frederick Palowaski
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgRebel08 said:

Serious question?

If you do not have a loved one running, why do people watch running? I went to an A&M cross country event with my roommate, thought it would be fun and partly because I wanted a stamp on my 12th man card. Got up at 5:30 for a 6:00 AM start......on a Saturday.... In college, stood around for about 20 min saw them coming at us in the distance and then they ran past us, all in about 3 min.

I said welp that was a waste never again, at least I got a stamp but what do you now early to late middle aged people get out of this?
Why do people flood the mountains on the Tour de France to watch a group of cyclists go by in about 10 seconds?

People just enjoy being out there. Some party together. Other encourage the athletes. Others are entertained by the struggle of the people.

There are various reasons.
CDUB98
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

i'm going to book of mormon that afternoon. will i be able to take I-10 to smith street in to downtown or will i need to get creative?
This might be an okay route. Most of the streets closed are around the convention center.

But, if you want to know for sure, go to the website and check out street closures.

http://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/race-weekend/schedule/
themissinglink
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

i'm going to book of mormon that afternoon. will i be able to take I-10 to smith street in to downtown or will i need to get creative?
You should be fine. It starts on congress street, but they open up the streets once all the runners have passed. They have a 6 or 7 hour time limit so the beginning of the course will be opened back up by then.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I am doing the 5k on Saturday and the wifey is doing the half on Sunday. I will be knee deep in bourbon Saturday night at the Hilton Americas!
wessimo
AG
I'm in! I'll be the guy asking for refills at the beer tents and crawling across the finish line on all fours!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
AgRebel08 said:

Serious question?

If you do not have a loved one running, why do people watch running? I went to an A&M cross country event with my roommate, thought it would be fun and partly because I wanted a stamp on my 12th man card. Got up at 5:30 for a 6:00 AM start......on a Saturday.... In college, stood around for about 20 min saw them coming at us in the distance and then they ran past us, all in about 3 min.

I said welp that was a waste never again, at least I got a stamp but what do you now early to late middle aged people get out of this?

It'd be different if this was only a professional/pro-am event where the pack runs by you and it's over. It's a stream of literally tens of thousands of people, many of which are people you probably know. It's a great event for the city and sorry to go all hippie here, but the vibes are super positive. It's awesome.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Running the full. Is there a map of where all the beer will be on the course or do I just need to keep my eyes open?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I will be cheering you on! Kick some ass brotato!
chiken
AG
who is using band aids on their nipples?
Frederick Palowaski
AG
chiken said:

Duct tape like a real man.
CDUB98
AG
Mr.NiceGuy said:

chiken said:

Duct tape like a real man.
I only used medical tape.
Boo Weekley
Do yall really run marathons or just trolling?
digging tunnels
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

I am doing the 5k on Saturday and the wifey is doing the half on Sunday. I will be knee deep in bourbon Saturday night at the Hilton Americas!

Jr Gibblets signed up too?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
No sir....its just me and you.
CDUB98
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Do yall really run marathons or just trolling?
Finished two. Not really sure I want to do another.

I enjoyed the challenge.

I prefer cycling, but half this board is hellbent on killing a cyclist on purpose, so it's rather unsettling sometimes.
CDUB98
AG
And I had to see that ugly ass digging tunnels guy when running my Houston marathon. Definitely the lowlight of the whole thing.
The Milkman
AG
I'll be out at the finish line for work giving out pieces of a giant cookie.

Come on by
Frederick Palowaski
AG
CDUB98 said:

And I had to see that ugly ass digging tunnels guy when running my Houston marathon. Definitely the lowlight of the whole thing.

I hope he runs again so I can give him a wedgie.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
We are doing the 5k together holding hands the entire way while passing out egg rolls to bystanders.
CDUB98
Texaggie7nine
What style buttplug do you find most comfortable to use for a marathon such as this?
7nine
Mr. McGibblets
AG
These are the typical go to with assortment of colors to match your flaming outfits!

Texaggie7nine
THANKS!

Those are pretty nifty. Are they made by My Little Pony? The My Little Buttplug line?
7nine
digging tunnels
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

We are doing the 5k together holding hands the entire way while showing our egg rolls to bystanders.

Fify
digging tunnels
AG
CDUB98 said:

Piss off!!! Next time I'm tripping you
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
To everyone that finished the marathon: congrats! You've earned a few beers and a restful afternoon.

To everyone that finished the half marathon: no one cares because that is not a real accomplishment. Also, just so we are clear: your coworkers don't care and don't want to hear about it.
wessimo
AG
Finished in 4:20. Didn't die. Asked for beer refills at all the stops. Buffalo Bayou on Posy Oak was a nice surprise. Didn't see a karbach or st. A tent.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Glad to hear that buffalo bayou is on post oak now. I just did the half (so you shouldn't care) and the karbach tent at least did a good enough job of giving me a full thimble of beer
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I think someone did die today. With .1 to go to the finish line an older white gentleman collapsed. At first everyone thought his muscles were spazzing out and he tried to get up. I could see his arms and hands all firmed up. Then some race crews got to him and waved the medics and started CPR. Another medic crew had the defibrillator going. They loaded him up on a stretcher and continued CPR. I think he must of suffered a heart attack. I hope he made it but it didn't look good.
CDUB98
Dr. Doctor
AG
There were 3 medical codes on the track. But all were revived and taken to the hospital.
htxag09
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

There were 3 medical codes on the track. But all were revived and taken to the hospital.

Think i witnessed one. It was in the galleria, I guess near mile 14.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Thanks for the update and glad he made it!!!! It was a crazy sight to see.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

half this board is hellbent on killing a cyclist on purpose, so it's rather unsettling sometimes.
Still running with this troll?
88jrt06
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

half this board is hellbent on killing a cyclist on purpose, so it's rather unsettling sometimes.
Still running with this troll?
Yeah, absolutely no more than 40%.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.