Houston
Sponsored by

Down House, Bernadines, Honky Dory owners under fire

21,106 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by drumboy
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not authentic because you don't see other Thai customers there.
White Liberals=The Worst
MAS444 said:

Not authentic because you don't see other Thai customers there.
So going back to restaurants and away from rub n tugs for a second, you don't consider the types of patrons at an Asian restaurant to be a good barometer for authenticity/quality? From my experience, the more Asians you see at an Asian restaurant, the better it usually is.
TX04Aggie
AG
FC was one of my favorite restaurants, although you had to go with people that shared an appreciation for sharing food, trying odd or not well known things for the heck of it. Made that mistake once and they didn't enjoy it as much. Bummed to see it go. Wasnt crazy about Hunky Dory, haven't tried Bernadines yet. Hope everything gets sorted out for employees sake. I feel like some of these groups blow up and flame out because their business accumen doesnt seem to be strong sometimes. I am curious who the investors are that may not perform audits or "shareholder" type meetings with these types of guys..
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I am curious who the investors are that may not perform audits or "shareholder" type meetings with these types of guys..
Real estate investors/developers who want "cool" restaurants in the areas they're working on. That's strictly a guess.
jenn96
AG
Nipa Hot! I had never had Thai food before trying that place on a whim in between classes at Zachry. Ate there every day after when I had class across the street. I loved that place!!!
CDUB98
AG
The restaurant business is actually pretty tough.

I recently read an article about how the retaurant bubble is going to blow soon; America in general, not just Houston.

Takes a lot of capital to start up. Then you have all the useless regulations, Obamacare, and other benefits.

Sometimes restaurantuers have to choose a low rent in a sketchy location. In better areas, the landlords will raise their rent through the roof once the area takes off. Not many new places can outright buy their place.

Then, you throw in all the whiney ass little snowflakes who want Americas level food at McD's prices. They are all over social media complaining about a place and it hurts. Sales peak at the start and then level out. Those whine bags can hurt you before you get established.

The, you have turnover out the ass. Training people to your restaurant is money down the drain if they dont last long enough for a payback with good service

If throw illegal activity and other shafy things in on top of all of that, then you set yourself up for failure.

The foodie craze has driven a bubble, IMO. We just need to hope enough of the good places to survive so we arent stuck with only chain restaurants like Applebees again.
FarmerJohn
AG
Thai Gourmet is awesome. But as a co-worker explained to me in fat more detail, it is southern/ coastal Thai. FC was northern Thai. There is some significant cultural differences between the two.
ElCheAg
AG
Sunset Strip has awesome chicken wings. Just saying.
BBRex
AG
Is the dude with the Tesla married to the Chronicle chick who was a stripper? I think they share a last name.
Ag_07
AG
Yes I think so.
MAS444
AG
I mainly judge restaurants (and/or service providers) on whether I like their food (and/or service). I guess if I cared about the "authenticity" (not sure why anyone would care), it might make sense to judge based on the customers. But I just don't give a f about that.

MAS444
AG
Yeah I think they've been married for a year or so and are already getting divorced. I guess she figured out being a ballin restaurant/bar owner doesn't mean you actually have any money.
Al Bula
AG
Owning a restaurant seems like a lot of work if you're not just in it for banging coked-out waitresses.
CDUB98
AG
I care about authenticity in that, I want to truly sample the cuisine of other countries without having to pay for a flight over there.

Americanized versions just aren't the same.

Now, I will gladly pass on the food poisoning from the other countries though.
CDUB98
AG
RPM said:

Owning a restaurant seems like a lot of work if you're not just in it for banging coked-out waitresses.
Anyone owning their own business is a ****ton of work, but in the restaurant business, you have to deal with dumbass customers in greater amounts.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Who was the Chron reporter?
BBRex
AG
tx-ags14 said:

Who was the Chron reporter?
She's @SarahTress on Twitter, but her account says Sarah T. Cusack.
Chewy
AG
Is that the reporter that slept with Jeremy Bivens or whatever his name was?
Post removed:
by user
CDUB98
AG
third coast.. said:

She was all in in being a stripper on her Twitter. How tf did she get a job as a reporter with chron? And who tf actually married strippers.
wessimo
AG
Anybody check out Sap Sap yesterday? Per FB they were sold out by 5pm.
chico
AG
|
true. I got there around 5:00 and sold out.
BohunkAg
AG
CDUB98 said:

The restaurant business is actually pretty tough.

I recently read an article about how the retaurant bubble is going to blow soon; America in general, not just Houston.

Takes a lot of capital to start up. Then you have all the useless regulations, Obamacare, and other benefits.

Sometimes restaurantuers have to choose a low rent in a sketchy location. In better areas, the landlords will raise their rent through the roof once the area takes off. Not many new places can outright buy their place.

Then, you throw in all the whiney ass little snowflakes who want Americas level food at McD's prices. They are all over social media complaining about a place and it hurts. Sales peak at the start and then level out. Those whine bags can hurt you before you get established.

The, you have turnover out the ass. Training people to your restaurant is money down the drain if they dont last long enough for a payback with good service

If throw illegal activity and other shafy things in on top of all of that, then you set yourself up for failure.

The foodie craze has driven a bubble, IMO. We just need to hope enough of the good places to survive so we arent stuck with only chain restaurants like Applebees again
Depressing and awesome at the same time.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Yep.

Look at Kitchen 713 as another fine example.

Awesome place on the east side of town. Lowest of low rent district. Great food, simple menu but done right on all fronts.

They get some momentum and decide to move to the shopping center where Les Givrals is on Washington. The the menu is a shell of its former self and the place was empty when I was there. My guess is the owner got backed by some yuppies who convinced him to move to a yuppie part of town.

Unless the place is hopping at dinner time it won't last a year.
lostrg
third coast.. said:

She was all in in being a stripper on her Twitter. How tf did she get a job as a reporter with chron? And who tf actually married strippers.

1. She's hot. So she got the job.
2. Every woman who was a stripper eventually settles down and gets married.
BMX Bandit
What do you mean by shell?

It appeared to me that they expanded the menu.
Post removed:
by user
Ciboag96
Shades of the Tine board of old. Nearly every thread finding its way to discussing either stripper qualities, associated establishments, or booze.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Yep.

Awesome place on the east side of town. Lowest of low rent district. Great food, simple menu but done right on all fronts.

They get some momentum and decide to move to the shopping center where Les Givrals is on Washington. The the menu is a shell of its former self and the place was empty when I was there. My guess is the owner got backed by some yuppies who convinced him to move to a yuppie part of town.

Man, their food was so much better than that dump they were in. But the location they selected is awful. That whole strip center blows.
El Duke
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

Yep.

Man, their food was so much better than that dump they were in. But the location they selected is awful. That whole strip center blows.
Work in the building. The offices are very nice. I am here everyday and had no clue Kitchen 713 was in the building. You would think they would take the elevator up and tell the tenants. Commonwealth was a disaster, we went once for lunch and the owner sat at a table by the entrance on his computer. He looked up and gave us a "go to h***" look. We were the only ones in the place the entire time and got terrible service. They packed their bags a few months later.
Joan Wilder
AG
Oh man....that's disappointing. We were excited to hear 713 had re-opened. The food at the old hole in the wall was freaking amazing.
Ag_07
AG
And Exec Chef Richard Knight leaving Hunky Dory

Quote:

The former Feast chef who joined the Treadsack restaurant group as the executive chef of Hunky Dory when it opened in October 2015 is leaving after Super Bowl. His last day will be Feb. 5.

Link
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Hughies is taking over the space abandoned by Foreign Correspondents per Houston Press.
TexAg15
AG
I lived down the street from Honky Dory on 18th. Me and my roommates were excited when it opened up. Was bummed to look at the prices.
wessimo
AG
TexAg15 said:

I lived down the street from Honky Dory on 18th. Me and my roommates were excited when it opened up. Was bummed to look at the prices.

Honkies are not price sensitive I guess.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.