Houston
Sponsored by

Down House, Bernadines, Honky Dory owners under fire

21,023 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by drumboy
TexAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A. They ain't
B. I read OP and thought it was called that. Should be based on who was going there.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Hughies is taking over the space abandoned by Foreign Correspondents per Houston Press.

Booooooo. I live on 16th and Bevis and Hughies is like two seconds away.
wessimo
AG
They aren't closing the existing one
E
AG
Making a second location

hopefully the service at this location doesn't suck
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Service has definitely been their weak spot, which seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past two years. Waited 15 minutes for my beer order on my last visit, and the waitress was clearly put out when I reminded her of my order.
MAS444
AG
I go there a lot and have had nothing but great service.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
TexAg15 said:

I lived down the street from Honky Dory on 18th. Me and my roommates were excited when it opened up. Was bummed to look at the prices.
lolpoors
terradactylexpress
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

TexAg15 said:

I lived down the street from Honky Dory on 18th. Me and my roommates were excited when it opened up. Was bummed to look at the prices.
lolpoors

I have to agree with him, both those restaurants are I'm a weird price point imo. Not cheap enough to be a normal stop and not kick enough for a good night out
BBRex
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Hughies is taking over the space abandoned by Foreign Correspondents per Houston Press.

I had heard that was still being negotiated, but good for them. I think their preference is to own property, not lease it.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
drumboy
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Service has definitely been their weak spot, which seems to have gotten progressively worse over the past two years. Waited 15 minutes for my beer order on my last visit, and the waitress was clearly put out when I reminded her of my order.

I go there twice a week and never have to wait more than 2 minutes for a beer. Do you not tip?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Their service was rough the first year, but now they run a pretty tight ship. Very fast.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
We went Friday night and the service was the best it's ever been. Who knows, maybe I just had a run of bad luck with wait staff. Considering it's rare that I don't tip 20%, it's not for a lack of gratuity.
drumboy
AG
I've had less than stellar service a couple times from the skinny goth chick (a long time ago) and once from the white chick that doesn't wear a bra.
E
AG
The girl with the blue hair? She was the absolute worst, and it seemed like everytime I went within a 6 month span we were always stuck with her.
drumboy
AG
E said:

The girl with the blue hair? She was the absolute worst, and it seemed like everytime I went within a 6 month span we were always stuck with her.
Yeah, I think that's her.
schmellba99
AG
I went to Down House once. Food was pretty good, took way too long to get my whiskey each time though. They were hell for busy that night, so I chalked it up to that.
Guitarsoup
AG
Downhouse always has poor service. That burger and fries are pretty excellent, though.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/house-of-cards-the-rise-and-fall-of-restaurateur-chris-cusack-9197737
Liquid Wrench
I don't know anything about Treadsack, but that's a pretty beautiful takedown of local foodie fanbloggers like Allison Cook (if that's even her real name).
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

If there's one area that Down House took seriously, it was customer service. As pretentious as all the talk of "educating the community" could be, the Down House training manual put customer satisfaction above all else. From instructions on employee grooming and wardrobe (including what style of skirt was acceptable for female staff) right down to rules against smoking or using a cell phone during work hours, Down House demanded professionalism.

Fake news
cone
AG
why wouldn't it be her real name
Panama Red
AG
cone said:

You really think she wants people tracking her down and hounding her at homes for autographs? Celebrity life isn't the picnic you people think it is.
Liquid Wrench
cone said:

A restaurant critic whose last name is "Cook?" I'm sure.
RK
AG
Al Bula
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I don't know anything about Treadsack, but that's a pretty beautiful takedown of local foodie fanbloggers like Allison Cook (if that's even her real name).
Alison Cook lives at 1915 Idylwood Drive.

Panama Red
AG
See. All kinds of creepy food critic sniffers/stalkers out there.
cone
AG
http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-14-15-houston-chronicle-restaurant-critic-ranked-low-in-integrity-in-national-chefs-survey-when-reviewers-are-rated/#slide=0
swimmerbabe11
Am I the only one who thinks Treadsack is a terrible name? Esp since its taken from a guy's last name of Treadway? Why make it a sack?
BMX Bandit
swimmerbabe11 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Treadsack is a terrible name? Esp since its taken from a guy's last name of Treadway? Why make it a sack?

Cusaway was already taken as a name
swimmerbabe11
Why not anything else than a sack? What good connotation ever comes from a sack?
Liquid Wrench
You could try reading the article FWA posted.

swimmerbabe11
I did.
Don't be so desperate to jam your name into your brand that you ignore that it sounds like sad sack.
And that's the PG thing one might thing of.

It's a stupid name.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

According to DeSpain, Treadway had his own brand of humor, which, in DeSpain's estimation, included the name and logo of the management company, Treadsack.

"It's a ball-sack getting ran over by a truck," DeSpain says. "That's the kind of guy that Joey is. He would think that's hilarious, and that he's playing this joke on the entire city of Houston, to call it 'Treadsack.'"
drumboy
AG
RPM said:

ChiliBeans said:

Alison Cook lives at 1915 Idylwood Drive.

Don't mention any words that are derogatory to women when she's eavesdropping or she'll have you kicked out of the bar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.