Houston
Sponsored by

Down House, Bernadines, Honky Dory owners under fire

20,951 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by drumboy
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like Treadsack restaurant group is in some hot water with back taxes, embezzalment, tax liens, and bounced payroll checks.

Interesting stuff. What a mess.

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/what-was-really-going-on-behind-the-closing-of-foreign-correspondents-9081422
E
AG
Ouch!
bigcat22
AG
Yikes
swimmerbabe11
Was Foreign Correspondents any good?
BMX Bandit
I t thought it was great. only went once though.

haven't been to Hunky dory yet, but Bernadines is excellent.
astrosaggie1212
AG
The one guy justifying his Tesla purchase was hilarious. Surprised there hasn't been a mass exodus of employees, people not getting paid and the other guy has his nanny and family members on the payroll. Brutal
FarmerJohn
AG
Foreign Correspondents was good and pretty original. That's a rare thing and it's sad to see them go. Sounds like their management team got too big too fast. That being said, that article really came across as the if the author had an ax to grind.
Ag_07
AG
FarmerJohn said:

that article really came across as the if the author had an ax to grind.

Well here's another I found on the subject.

http://houston.eater.com/2017/1/5/14175590/treadsack-embezzlement-fraud-restaurants-houston

And yeah we really like Bernadines so hopefully they can dig themselves out of this hole and get back on track.
swimmerbabe11
I dunno, if the guy didn't sell the tesla to make sure he could pay his employees, I don't really care to help support him.
BigPuma
AG
meh
Liquid Wrench
No worries, they just need to launch one more exciting, unique original "concept."
jpc08
AG
So is $3k a month, health insurance, and 401k the going rate for nannys in the tine?
White Liberals=The Worst
swimmerbabe11 said:

I feel like they try too hard to be a special/unique/cutting edge thai restaurant. Even overheard their manager or owner arrogantly explaining to a nearby table something along the lines of "these are the items you'll find being cooked in a thai mother's kitchen but won't necessarily find on the menu at regular thai restaurants"...I believe this was in response to them asking if they could order several traditional thai items that weren't on the menu. They don't even have pad thai and a lot of other standard items you find pretty much universally at all other thai restaurants (unless the menu has expanded).

I got some type of pork dish that was pretty damn good, but way way salty. Then we got one of their more popular chicken dishes and it was awful...it's like they forgot to use any salt whatsoever so we had to salt the hell out of it, and it still pretty much sucked.

It doesn't hold a candle to Thai Gourmet or a few other REAL thai places run by REAL thai people. The comparison is laughable.

BUT...it does have rainbow lettering and hip font and it's a trendy little foodie spot in a more "diverse" area of the Heights so I'm sure the local liberals/hipsters feel pretty cultured eating there...even though you'd never find mini vans of monks being bused into this spot like you see at Thai Gourmet (but what do they know?).
Sazerac
AG
He didn't own the Tesla. He was making payments.

Seems like this is the same story with 80% of restaurants. They struggle and they fail. not sure why the scathing attack like article.
swimmerbabe11
And a pinto wouldn't have had lower payments?
Sazerac
AG
Reducing his salary by $500-$1k per month does what exactly? It's just an image problem with your employees when you're bouncing checks.
wessimo
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

The former FC chefs are going to do a pop up service at Ladybirds on Sunday if you want to try it out.
swimmerbabe11
An employer's #1 moral responsibility is to take care of his employees.
That 1k a month pays one paycheck a month.
swimmerbabe11
noice. I'll probably check it out.
MAS444
AG
FC's food was damn good.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
anyone else ever try the embryo chicken?

It was interesting
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

It doesn't hold a candle to Thai Gourmet or a few other REAL thai places run by REAL thai people. The comparison is laughable.

LOL at this sentence.
chico
AG
I ate there multiple times and had fantastic food every time. The 1st time there the waiter recommended the pumpkin with scrambled eggs - sounds awful but it was strangely addictive in a good way. Only 1-2 dishes failed, but that's to be somewhat expected when they're experimenting and using differing ingredients weekly. Sad to hear they were bouncing checks and paying their nanny from the receipts.
The cocktails at Catbird next door (also part of the Treadsack group) were also terrific & creative, that place closed also. I helped close it out on Dec-30 - all drinks were only $5.00!
Hopefully the chefs catch on somewhere soon. I'm planning on going to the Ladybird pop-up and hope they get a full-time position somewhere soon.
drumboy
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

LOL at this sentence.
Thai Gourmet is authentic? Asia Market on Irvington is my favorite Thai place in the tine. My wife went to FC with a couple neighbor hens and she said it was good.

Anybody remember Nipa Hot or Thai Taste? Nothing holds a candle to those places.
03_Aggie

Wycliffe_03 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

LOL at this sentence.

Which one? You quoted two.
Al Bula
AG
Nipa Hot

White Liberals=The Worst
drumboy said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

LOL at this sentence.
Thai Gourmet is authentic? Asia Market on Irvington is my favorite Thai place in the tine. My wife went to FC with a couple neighbor hens and she said it was good.

Anybody remember Nipa Hot or Thai Taste? Nothing holds a candle to those places.
I know that Thai Gourmet is more authentic than Foreign Correspondents. Almost every non-hipster Asian/Indian would agree. The place is always slammed with all types of Asians and Indians. Most white Bernie/Hillary supporters have probably never heard of the place though.

Most of the staff at Thai Gourmet is Thai, which is pretty rare. I am sure most of the cooks aren't, and I'll admit, I don't know exactly how working class people eat in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, but TG has got to be the best thai restaurant in Houston hands own. Asia Market is pretty damn good for what it is too, although I had only been to the old Cavalcade location.
White Liberals=The Worst
MAS444 said:

FC's food was damn good.
To be fair, we went not long after they had opened. The bad dish we had was pretty freaking bad but the pork dish was solid. Hopefully they worked out the kinks with the other chicken dish or it was just a freak deal.
BMX Bandit
I don't think foreign correspondents was trying or pretending to be "authentic" pad Thai etc.

It was focusing on 1 specific region of Thailand that other restaurants don't typically serve food from.
White Liberals=The Worst
BMX Bandit said:

I don't think foreign correspondents was trying or pretending to be "authentic" pad Thai etc.

It was focusing on 1 specific region of Thailand that other restaurants don't typically serve food from.

Makes sense, the owner just came across as a pretty arrogant dewsher but maybe I misunderstood him.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Quote:

Executive chef PJ Stoops has finally opened the doors and diners are in for something very special. Unless you've been to Northern Thailand and eaten there, you've likely not tasted anything like his menu at Foreign Correspondents. In a way it breaks free from what we consider "traditional Thai food" because many of the restaurants have crafted menus over time to adjust to the palettes and expectations of Americans. In other words, pad thai and green/red/yellow curry selections are noticibly absent and by design. Chef PJ is a native Texan who's cullinary tour through France led him to live and work in Thailand for several years. Since being back stateside, it was important to him to develop relationships with local fishermen and likely has the first relationship with a Thai farmer just north of Houston who is sourcing the local goods.
back to your pillow fight
BillYeoman
Thai Gourmet is excellent
Panama Red
AG
Anyone been to Thai Experience at Shepherd & W. Alabama?

Seems authentic to me, but having never traveled to the Orient, I can't say for sure what a Bangkok transgender feels like.
cone
AG
hey do y'all like thai food
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Anybody remember Nipa Hot
Nipa Hot was the shiz.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.