Houston
Sponsored by

Corkscrew barbecue

52,696 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

gigemJTH12 said:

IMO, elite bbq is about the best bang for your buck in the world.

for example

C&J bbq 3 meat plate is 13.99
Killens 3 meat plate is 17.99

The two plates of food(both meat and sides) are in a different universe. Yet only 4 bucks different.

BBQ is expensive, and elite BBQ is like 5 bucks more. Its kind of crazy to me that people eat crap BBQ. I guess they just dont know whats out there.

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the BBQ snobs would make an appearance.
love you some dickies?
Rudy's fam!
cgh1999
AG
Lol. Yeah, but my wife makes me.

I like the pork belly at Tejas.
schmendeler
AG

schmendeler said:

gigemJTH12 said:

IMO, elite bbq is about the best bang for your buck in the world.

for example

C&J bbq 3 meat plate is 13.99
Killens 3 meat plate is 17.99

The two plates of food(both meat and sides) are in a different universe. Yet only 4 bucks different.

BBQ is expensive, and elite BBQ is like 5 bucks more. Its kind of crazy to me that people eat crap BBQ. I guess they just dont know whats out there.

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the BBQ snobs would make an appearance.
love you some dickies?
Rudy's fam!
Rudy's is fine. it's always there and accessible. like the Whataburger of barbecue. sometimes I want something better than that, though.
schmellba99
AG
Guitarsoup said:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Corkscrew #7.

Tejas somehow topped it at 6. I've been to Tejas three times and getting sweets is nice, but it isn't as good as Corkscrew or several other places (The Pit Room is fantastic)
Texas Monthly's website for this article absolutely sucks. Finding the actual list is not readily apparent, and for that I want to throat punch the author. I just want to see the damned list, not read articles about the early morning smoke and whatever other crap they write about to try to make a food article better.

Plus, a full list of the 50 by their rankings would be fun so we can all argue.
jja79
AG
cgh1999 said:

New golf course is open. You ready to school me?
Fall92
AG
I will say this about Luling in Houston- the food is markedly better on the weekend vs. during the week.
cgh1999
AG
jja79 said:

cgh1999 said:

New golf course is open. You ready to school me?
Name the day and time.
Texas A&M
It has probably been mentioned, but what is the typical wait at Tejas on a Friday or Saturday lunch? Do they run out of food before closing time?
byfLuger41
AG
Almost no wait before the TM top 50, but I'm sure that will change. No, they usually do not run out, but the added traffic the next 4-6 months may change that.

HTH
byfLuger41
AG
All this BBQ talk has my taste bros craving some Cork! I'll be there on Saturday.
jja79
AG
I work in Tomball and drive past Tejas 2 or 3 time a week around noon. I've never seen a line until yesterday. I've been 3 times and based on that I wouldn't stand in any line for it. Others may disagree.
Texas A&M
I know that y'all have been anxiously waiting....Goode Company BBQ in the Woodlands opens up next Tuesday.
Farmer1906
AG
I know people will hate on Goodebut it's better than what is in the Woodlands currently.
BSD
AG
Goode BBQ is ass. I feel bad for y'all. I live a couple of blocks from goode and have only been once. I learned my lesson.
jja79
AG
I can't wait for it to open so maybe some people will go there instead of Corkscrew. I've never seen the line as long as today. When we lined up it went from the cash register out the door, around the building and to the back of the parking lot. Thank goodness we had number 18. The line was still that long when we left at 12.
Al Bula
AG
10 pages of circle jerking about standing in line and BBQ snobbery. Classic texags.
jja79
AG
You know the thread is about a particular business. If that's not of interest to you don't click on it.
Texas A&M
jja79 said:

I can't wait for it to open so maybe some people will go there instead of Corkscrew. I've never seen the line as long as today. When we lined up it went from the cash register out the door, around the building and to the back of the parking lot. Thank goodness we had number 18. The line was still that long when we left at 12.
I'm guessing it won't help that much. There's probably not much overlap in the crowds. Me personally...I only go to Corkscrew on rainy mid-week days when line has a better chance of being low.

Quote:

You know the thread is about a particular business. If that's not of interest to you don't click on it.

We just like poking fun at the BBQ snobs. They're just older versions of the hipster (is that word still used) craft brewery snobs.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

They're just older versions of the hipster (is that word still used) craft brewery snobs.
I saw some writer use a term I like, "hickster." They know real barbecue, real fajitas, real kolaches, real country music, etc.... They're local experts on **** like small town festivals and donkey basketball and bring their own meat to parties.

*Crap, I forgot real Texas chili.
TX scallywAG
AG
Just checking in to say this is one of my favorite BBQ joints. The outside of the brisket was a tad smokey for me but the rest of the family loves & brisket isn't my main choice. I can never get turkey because I'm not early enough though! ... solid 9/10.

Those BBQ baked beans are the best I've ever had...

How is it during the week? Can you grab lunch from there, limited menu?
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
inch05
AG
definitely agree...that i think it's my favorite in Houston (but i haven't tried Tejas, Pinkerton's, or Pit Room).

the menu during the week isn't limited outside of the chicken and beef ribs, but same thing applies...get there early to beat the line or go later (like, 12:45ish) for after the crowd starts leaving.
The Milkman
AG
inch05 said:

definitely agree...that i think it's my favorite in Houston (but i haven't tried Tejas, Pinkerton's, or Pit Room).

the menu during the week isn't limited outside of the chicken and beef ribs, but same thing applies...get there early to beat the line or go later (like, 12:45ish) for after the crowd starts leaving.
It is definitely better than Tejas and Pit Room... Pinkertons is very very very good.

Once Truth opens up here that'll be big
gigemJTH12
AG
inch05 said:

byfLuger41
inch05
AG
well...i like corkscrew more than Killen's and Roegels.
byfLuger41
AG
+1

And Louie's.
Farmer1906
AG
Had Tejas today and it exceeded expectations. Still not as good as Corkscrew, but on the same level.
byfLuger41
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Had Tejas today and it exceeded expectations. Still not as good as Corkscrew, but on the same level.

My thoughts exactly.

That sweet potato souffle is mega dumb.
Farmer1906
AG
They had carrot souffl today. It was the tits.
karmapoliceman
AG
Went to Corkscrew for lunch today and apparently they are closed 8/6 - 8/14. So sad...I am craving their brisket big time.

Anyone aware of the reason? Equipment/building maintenance maybe? Didn't look like there was any activity on site.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
karmapoliceman said:

Went to Corkscrew for lunch today and apparently they are closed 8/6 - 8/14. So sad...I am craving their brisket big time.

Anyone aware of the reason? Equipment/building maintenance maybe? Didn't look like there was any activity on site.

The owners are on vacation. They've been warning people for a couple of weeks.
Farmer1906
AG
Most BBQ joints like that take a week off at some point in the summer.
aggiedrew08
AG
Went to Tejas Saturday:
We got there at 10am and were number 23. We were ordering by 11:45. The way the line works there is the first 25 groups get a number and don't stand in the standard line, you can find some shade or sit at their picnic tables. At about 10:50 they line up the first 25 groups and start serving, after #25 goes then the regular line feeds in behind the first 25 groups. There's free beer and yesterday there was a Tequila company passing out free drinks.
gigemJTH12
AG
what are Fridays like out there?

I was wanting to play a round of golf with my dad at Cypresswood at 7. Would probably put us at Corkscrew right at 11?

How would that work out for us on a Friday?
byfLuger41
AG
You would be fine.

Probably land between number 15-20ish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.