Houston
Sponsored by

Uber Strike October 16-18

8,985 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Clavell
NewJerseyAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will this do anything?
Farmer1906
AG
Who's striking?
NewJerseyAggie
online groups are organizing a strike to try to cripple uber
Finn Maccumhail
AG
So independent contractors are going on strike and think they can't easily be replaced? Do they not recognize that they're basically doing what the taxi companies have done and it's why taxi companies are being replaced?
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Surge pricing will foil their plan, the second it goes up to 3x the drivers will start accepting rides trying to make that coin.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
Surge pricing will foil their plan, the second it goes up to 3x the drivers will start accepting rides trying to make that coin.
Yep.
MelvinUdall
This must be as a result of the 6 or 7 part series the Chronicle hit piece on Uber.
Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
Good for them i guess. I'm gonna be in CS.

Don't care, got CARPOOL.
Chewy
AG
I hope it's not on one of those days where you don't buy gas to show the oil companies they're not in control or we're all fooked.

If the a small percentage of fast food workers also strike this could be the end of America as we know it.

Thanks Obama.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Is this about that thing where Uber drivers want to be considered employees instead of contractors?
ClickClack
AG
It's about putting a tip feature in the app if a passenger so desires and not flooding cities with so many drivers.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
It's about putting a tip feature in the app if a passenger so desires and not flooding cities with so many drivers.
Interesting. Houston is expecting to license something like 5,000 drivers.
Stan Crowch
AG
I'm not interested in a tip feature.
agmatt06
AG
This is what I love about millennials.

They don't see the irony in protesting the hiring of more drivers by Uber after having had to fight the Taxi Cab Lobby to even be allowed to drive in the first place.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
This is what I love about idiots.

They don't see the irony in protesting the hiring of more drivers by Uber after having had to fight the Taxi Cab Lobby to even be allowed to drive in the first place.
no ****.
Tom Hagen
AG
This will be a good demonstration of game theory. Without the government's help in stifling competition, self-interest will win out over the goals of the collective.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:

There are already over 5000
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are already over 5000
I meant in the next year. Sorry.
rononeill
they should unionize...

quote:
From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty (rule of law);
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage (rule of men).
Ragoo
AG
Try bottle alley or tha harbour...
Catch
AG
quote:

Some cities have a tip feature already. But it's pre-set. You have to log in to your account and reset the percentage you want. So you don't get to base your tip on service. It's always the same %.
Post removed:
by user
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:

Some cities have a tip feature already. But it's pre-set. You have to log in to your account and reset the percentage you want. So you don't get to base your tip on service. It's always the same %.

Uh, maybe on lyft but not uber

Edit: it's available on uberTaxi. Very limited and is a licensed taxi service. A normal taxi cab is what comes if you order this apparently.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
Uber charges $9/hr plus $1.10/mile plus a buck for their cheapest option before surge pricing. Drivers get 80%.

Get fked if you think your high school diploma and Toyota corolla makes you deserve more than that.

The buck goes straight to uber and they take 22% of the rest (2% goes to city of Houston). On a minimum fare ($5.10) the driver gets $3.20. There is no $9/HR. Subtract depreciation of your car and gas costs...
Catch
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uh, maybe on lyft but not uber

Yeah, Uber. Not UberX or Uber Black, but certain cities have UberTAXI which has a 20% default tip. Found out though my sister when she was asking me about what % tip I had set up with Uber. I was very confused.
Post removed:
by user
Furlock Bones
AG
see that's the beauty of uber and it's independent contractors. anyone that passes can do it. and they can set their own hours. sorry *****es a strike ain't doing ****.

i was in Midland 2 weeks ago. rental car situation can be a mother at times. so, i had to uber to and from my first meeting before i could get a company pool car.

the dude driving me was an interesting cat. according to him, uber was literally the best way for him to get out of the house and talk to people in real life. he has a successful online retail business and is a long recovered alcoholic. he realized he was spending way too much time in house alone. so, he started driving.

that's what these idiots are fighting. do you really think that guy is going to go protest for you? you're independent contractors that get to set your own ****ing hours. as jayelbee said, get bent.
94chem
Okay, as a customer, somebody explain to me how Uber is different from a regular cab company. Is it because I get to use an app that doesn't work on my phone, instead of just calling the cab company? Or is there something even cooler that I'm missing?
Furlock Bones
AG
my favorite part of uber is when i book the ride the ****ers show up.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Okay, as a customer, somebody explain to me how Uber is different from a regular cab company. Is it because I get to use an app that doesn't work on my phone, instead of just calling the cab company? Or is there something even cooler that I'm missing?
With Uber, you're not riding in a 15 year-old Crown Vic that hasn't been cleaned or maintained in about three years.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
When you book on uber, it tells you exactly how long it will take for the driver to show up. They are usually right to within 2 minutes in my experience.

When the driver arrives, they're in a clean, newer model car. It may be something modest like a Corolla, but it's always clean. Uber drivers are, across the board, actually good at the thing they do for a living: driving.

What never happens is that you spend 10 minutes waiting on hold for a taxi dispatcher to wait another 30 minutes for Habib (non-english speaker) to arrive in his 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager that has a completely wrecked suspension and an interior that smells like a combination of soiled diapers and burning tires driven by the worst drivers on the road.
GigEm2006
AG
There's lots you're missing. The uber won't drive you to the bank to get cash in the middle of your fare because "their credit card machine isn't working." Uber sends you an email with the route you took and how much it costs automatically. You get to rate the driver, drivers that fall below a certain level can't drive. You don't have to wait 45 minutes for a cab. You don't have to exchange any sort of payment once you arrive. You don't get upstreamed by uber drivers as they'll only pick up the person ordering it. Not having to sit in a car that smells like old vomit and windex is a plus too. I'm sure I'm missing something.
Token
AG
quote:
quote:
When you book on uber, it tells you exactly how long it will take for the driver to show up. They are usually right to within 2 minutes in my experience.

When the driver arrives, they're in a clean, newer model car. It may be something modest like a Corolla, but it's always clean. Uber drivers are, across the board, actually good at the thing they do for a living: driving.

What never happens is that you spend 10 minutes waiting on hold for a taxi dispatcher to wait another 30 minutes for Habib (non-english speaker) to arrive in his 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager that has a completely wrecked suspension and an interior that smells like a combination of soiled diapers and burning tires driven by the worst drivers on the road.
i wish I could get 100 stars for this
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.