Houston
Sponsored by

Comcast Xfinity vs AT&T Uverse: What says Houston?

9,618 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Original AG 76
marble rye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These are my choices for cable. I've had both but neither here in Houston. What are your opinions/experiences?

I always thought Uverse was awesome but had it in SA. Apparently it's crappy here?
Jules_Winnfield
I have xfinity

Best internet service in Houston and cable has never gone out in 2 yrs
Sazerac
AG
comcast internet is better
uverse guide, menu, picture, etc. is better
uverse is a bit more expensive
uverse customer service is much better than comcast
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
uverse guide, menu, picture, etc. is better

X1 has a better guide and menu, and the picture on Comcast is objectivity better as it uses less compression.
Boats and Hose
AG
We have had both. Comcast sucked in our house and we canceled it within 30 days of service. We were supposed to not owe anything due to their 30 day guarantee. However, they kept billing us and I kept calling explaining that I didn't believe we needed to pay the bill to which they agreed. I did this 3 times. About a month ago, I get a call from a debt collection agency saying that Comcast sent our account to collections for the unpaid balance - the same unpaid balance that I had been told that I didn't need to pay. After several calls and irritating conversations, our balance was finally cleared and the issue was resolved.

So it goes without saying that we have AT&T Uverse. We've never had a problem with their customer service or the internet/TV, and in our house, it's far better than Comcast. Some people say that Comcast is amazing so maybe our experience was a fluke. However I will never recommend Comcast to anyone based on everything that we went through.
marble rye
AG
My family here has Uverse and has had 9 modem replacements. Uverse is their only option though and apparently the problem is bc they are "last on the line" or at the end of a coverage map.

I don't speak cable provider but any idea on bad coverage areas for either one? My location is not the same as fam's.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Cclearman gave a good summary.

I'm not sure it's possible to figure out the coverage beforehand. You might try joining NextDoor or a Facebook group for your neighborhood and asking about Uverse speeds there.
Forum Troll
AG
Have Comcast, no issues, fast as hell internet, X1 is awesome.
rhoswen
AG
Both Internet and x1 suck in seabrook/kemah. Get some sort of error message on the x1 box at least every other day and have to reboot. Didn't realize Internet was bad til one day I turned off wifi on my phone and 4G worked much, much faster.
FarmerJohn
AG
I have Comcast. If you can make it through their customer service it is the better product. But the customer service is terrible. Whatever nightmare scenario you can come up with, Comcast is capable of exceeding your worst expectations. Billing errors, missed appointments, sales promises that they have no intention or ability to follow through on. Oh, 9 hour service appointments as well. If you can live with that (and the periodic price hikes) then go with Comcast. As my FIL said, "You have to earn your Comcast service." But if you are not especially patient or have a short fuse, look elsewhere.
Sazerac
AG
Is X1 different than their normal digital cable? Different set top boxes?

I have two friends with Comcast and the entire user interface is archaic and slow.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yes. Different equipment and subscriber tiers.
Football&Finance
AG
If you're persistent/nice enough, you can get X1 if you only have tv + internet.

Comcast with X1 and Comcast without it (e.g. cable from 10yrs ago) are two very different animals. Comcast gets a deservedly bad wrap, but I've been thrilled with X1 (shared dvr, being able to watch live TV and recorded shows on my ipad in the home, etc) and haven't had any issues. That said, my 2yrs is expiring in a couple months.

It's kind of a champagne problem:if you have real uverse and X1 as options at your home, I don't think you'll go wrong with either (assuming the uverse offered is fiber and not hidden DSL).
marble rye
AG
Anybody have the wireless cable boxes? They offered those but I had already signed up before the promo came out. (In Seattle)
spider96
AG
quote:
Anybody have the wireless cable boxes? They offered those but I had already signed up before the promo came out. (In Seattle)

I have a wireless uverse box. I can't tell the difference. Zero lag.
Aggie1205
AG
Comcast's customer service and menu make them not worth using.
Jaydoug
AG
I have Uverse and love the TV, but the internet is crap.

I wonder if I can keep Uverse TV and get Comcast Internet service??
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:

I have a wireless uverse box. I can't tell the difference. Zero lag.
I've noticed some on different channels, and some channels that the lag is in the wired box. So it all evens out in the end.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I have Uverse and love the TV, but the internet is crap.

I wonder if I can keep Uverse TV and get Comcast Internet service??
dont see why you couldnt, other than the effect on your checking account
ClickClack
AG
Not sure why anyone would give money to Comcast unless it was their only option.

And I get 50 down consistent with UVerse internet. In fact, I find it to be more reliable than Comcast Internet was. I might not get 100 down but 50 consistent is exactly what I want. And I use it for gaming so I'm pretty particular.
Jaydoug
AG
quote:
Not sure why anyone would give money to Comcast unless it was their only option.

And I get 50 down consistent with UVerse internet. In fact, I find it to be more reliable than Comcast Internet was. I might not get 100 down but 50 consistent is exactly what I want. And I use it for gaming so I'm pretty particular.

May be my area, in the Heights, but my internet service is spotty.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:

Because I get 124mbit down with Comcast, I would be lucky to get 10 with the old ass copper phone lines in my neighborhood.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:

Because I get 124mbit down with Comcast, I would be lucky to get 10 with the old ass copper phone lines in my neighborhood.

UVerse runs on fiber..
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

UVerse runs on fiber..
Uverse only runs fiber to the hub, its copper to the house

Verizon runs fiber to the house.
Football&Finance
AG
I didn't think Fios was an option in Houston, has that changed?
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I didn't think Fios was an option in Houston, has that changed?
business service has a dedicated fiber line available, not sure about residential.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

UVerse runs on fiber..
Uverse only runs fiber to the hub, its copper to the house

Verizon runs fiber to the house.

But it has nothing to do with phone lines. It seemed like he was thinking of DSL because it's AT&T
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:

But it has nothing to do with phone lines. It seemed like he was thinking of DSL because it's AT&T
In many cases Uverse comes to the house over the phone line, if the max speed they advertise you is like 24 or 45mbps, this is the case, and you will be lucky to even get that.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:

In many cases Uverse comes to the house over the phone line, if the max speed they advertise you is like 24 or 45mbps, this is the case, and you will be lucky to even get that.

I guess now I can actually get faster than 45, but up until just recently that was the fastest advertised (I get 50 constant). The fiber runs right up to my house and from the exterior box runs on cat 5 to the modem.

Whatever, I just wanted to dispel this myth that Comcast = good internet and Uverse = bad internet. I've had far worse experiences with Comcast, but obviously some of this can vary by where you're located.
marble rye
AG
quote:
some of this can vary by where you're located.

How can anyone know???
ClickClack
AG
quote:
quote:
some of this can vary by where you're located.

How can anyone know???

Well to be honest, I have had Uverse at two different spots (one in Houston, one in Katy) and have had pretty consistently good service. I've had Comcast at two different spots, one ok one bad as far as consistency in internet.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
Whatever, I just wanted to dispel this myth that Comcast = good internet and Uverse = bad internet. I've had far worse experiences with Comcast, but obviously some of this can vary by where you're located.

It completely depends on the neighborhood and even house.
Diggity
AG
in my area at least, Comcast internet is less per month for speeds that are twice as fast.
Bondag
AG
I had issues with Uverse resetting the router and called for a service guy to come out. They do run copper to house. He re-pulled from the service and I am now getting 45mbps.
tlh3842
AG
Uverse here. I have the wireless box because he couldn't run the cable through my wall since there was apparently a board in the way, and the cable is awesome with no issues. Internet however blows. It wasn't always this bad though. A few months into last year it was awesome, then it got terrible until we left the apartment. Moved into house in mid August, continues to be terrible.

HTH
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.