Houston
Sponsored by

Comcast Xfinity vs AT&T Uverse: What says Houston?

9,604 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Original AG 76
unf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never.
Ever.
Ever give money to Comcast.

For the record I have direct tv and consolidated for internet (100mbps for 50/month). They have 1000mbps for 60/month where I am in Katy but I'm not hacking the pentagon.
combat wombat™
AG
We use xfinity for internet. ONLY internet.

We use Directv for cable because we couldn't get uverse when we installed.

When I checked, no one marched xfinity's internet speed.
TX scallywAG
AG
Xfinity Internet Plus package. 80 mbps down, basic TV box with 5 HBO channels & HBO Go (not a promo).

Dish for main TV.

These two together full price are cheaper than comcast bundle once out of promo. I got faster internet, HBO, awesome DVR, & more channels for less.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
JSKolache
AG
Sling TV - cut the cord and save a hundred bucks a month. Get internet from any provider.
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
Sling TV - cut the cord and save a hundred bucks a month. Get internet from any provider.

No DVR & extremely limited on demand with Sling. Dish owns Sling so there won't be a Sling DVR any time soon either.

@OP, if you do get Dish, here's a $50 referral code:
VCD0014728471
------

With DISH Refer a Friend, a current DISH customer and a friend can BOTH save $50 when the friend signs up for DISH!

Here's how it works:

Don't have DISH yet? Sign up and save $50:
Call 855-318-6900 or visit dish.com/refer to order DISH.
Provide your unique Refer a Friend certificate number (VCD0014728471) at the time of order. This $50 offer is otherwise invalid
---
Jaydoug
AG
Ok, I've gotten Comcast on board to install Internet on the 12th. Will see how it goes.
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
Ok, I've gotten Comcast on board to install Internet on the 12th. Will see how it goes.

Just DL Ookla speed test app & check speeds before tech leaves.
---
Diggity
AG
Another nice perk with Comcast is the ability to use all of their free hotspots all over town. I'm on one right now in fact.
Zemira
AG
I have Uverse for Internet and I get good speeds but our neighborhood has fiber to all the houses. I can't call the "normal" number or they just get confused because it is apparently "special" neighborhood for AT&T. Instead I call some guy in Amarillo and he helps me and they actually send techs that know what's what. Never had a problem since I got the number to Amarillo.
marble rye
AG
Thanks for the code.
The D
AG
I've had Comcast, directv, and uverse recently and for TV uverse blows them away. I do think Comcast internet is better though.
bevokilla
AG
Switched from Uverse to Comcast over the weekend and couldn't be happier.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've had Uverse for the last 6 years but about to move and considering jumping ship and getting a better deal doing Xfinity.

Any updated things I should know? Internet speed/reliability are very important to me.
MyMamaSaid
AG
I'm with you, Derek. My Uverse service has certainly degraded a bit in the past few months. Any recent experiences switching to Comcast?
The Kraken
AG
AT&T is phasing out Uverse...they are pushing everyone to switch to Direct TV so they can free up their landlines for internet only.
htxag09
AG
I'm very close to making the switch to Comcast from U-Verse. The only reason I haven't made the switch was because you couldn't stream the Astros if you had Comcast. Well ever since AT&T Sportsnet took over Root Sports you can't stream the Astros if you have U-Verse either.....
SlackerAg
AG
I switched back to U-Verse from PS Vue, since I need AT&T SportsNet. They make it hard to stream the channel (no dedicated app), so I'm doing the following so my folks can watch Rockets games:

1) Add 2nd receiver for $7/month to my bill
2) Connect a SlingBox M2 to 2nd receiver
3) On their Roku, run SlingBox app to watch Rockets
htxag09
AG
You could stream the Astros through the At Bat app before the Root Sports rebranding.
CFTXAG10
AG
I switched from DirecTV to Comcast back in January and have loved it so far. Pay around $100 for TV&Internet on the package they refer to as the "Double Play" - No complaints about the service so far. I considered cord cutting at one point but did not want to go through the hassle of finding an available stream for every Rockets and Astros game.
Sazerac
AG
I moved to Xfinity a little over a year ago.

Internet is way way better.
Hotspots are ok though many don't work.
Picture is actually better than uverse.
Still think the guide and channel layout sucks
DVR and on demand work better.
marble rye
AG
Went w Uverse and have been w them almost 2 years. Internet is ok for what I need but have had service guys out here so many times...5 of which were bc my dog pulled out the cable or dug it up. Ive only been charged once for that.

Dont get a wireless box. Not worth it. Also, the day I have to get a dish is the day I go to Comcast.
Aggiefan#1
AG
I have a ton of experience with both due to hundreds of Houston clients. Uverse sucks as a product across the board. Xfinity is good product with bad customer service but only marginally more do than Uverse.

With Xfinity you can have your own modem/router. That is big because Uverse has terrible networking equipment.

DIRECTV is best by far overall. In CS and Kingwood I use Suddenlink for gigabit internet on our own modem router and DIRECTV.

Hard to beat.

Brent C Harriman
SoundWave Audio Video
o:888-511-SWAV
c: 281-361-2730
brent@SoundWaveAV.com
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Was on Uverse forever when I had TV.... now I just buy the internet package; and I get it through XFINITY because I can get 75 Mbps, use my own hardware, and it's comes with HBO GO (Must have for GoT). My contract was 1-year and in June I renewed for the exact same package and price, and it was super easy on the phone.

No complaints for Xfinity for the internet, but I cut cables and only watch Live TV through the PS Vue...
Thunder18
AG
Had Uverse for a few years, internet was awful and they tried to switch me to DirecTv...nope! Switched to Xfinity and have much better internet, more channels and a lower rate. I also think Xfinity has a better user interface, on-demand and DVR capabilities

JMO
billyag20
AG
Thinking about making the switch from uverse to xfinity myself (TV & internet). Can you negotiate better rates with xfinity if I call? Their online double play deals through their website come out to about the same price (after add ons) as my comparable uverse package.
Aggie1205
AG
Just got the notification that we got AT&T fiber in my neighborhood. Probably will change to that. I've been pleased with Uverse for cable and I'm not sure Comcast could offer me enough to deal with their customer service department again.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Those with Comcast, can you negotiate better deals than what is shown on their site?

Also anyone using the home security through them? Pros/cons?
Aggie09Derek
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Jaydoug said:

I have Uverse and love the TV, but the internet is crap.

I wonder if I can keep Uverse TV and get Comcast Internet service??

The problem with U-verse is that the tv and internet are across the same bandwidth

Switched to direct tv and same at internet is much faster
Aggie09Derek
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Those with Comcast, can you negotiate better deals than what is shown on their site?

Also anyone using the home security through them? Pros/cons?
Al Bula
AG
I don't know about negotiating off the web but Comcast has been way better for me. Much faster internet and TV for less than uverse.

Why don't you just try to call yourself and what success you have?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Called yesterday and they were quite a bit more expensive than U-verse (a lot had to due with them charging for each box whereas U-verse I was able to get up to 4 ffeee). Guy on from Comcast wasn't budging at all on price.
The Original AG 76
AG
Switching BACK to U-Verse today from Direct. Horrible experience ( over 7 months) with Direct, constant equipment failures, horrible service policy, SLIGHTEST tiny pitiful small cloud kills signal....gave up and going back to Uverse
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.