Houston
Sponsored by

The Woodlands Soldout?

8,660 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LostInLA07
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No worries...just filling in the gaps so the correct info is out there. Most people who live in The Woodlands don't even know the correct boundaries (as evidenced by my incorrect statement about Harper's Landing). There was a big stink over Creekside, actually, with other Woodlands residents saying it "isn't really The Woodlands" because it is in Harris County and is not zoned to Conroe ISD. But, I get an annual tax bill that states otherwise...

Now Creekside residents are battling with developer because a bunch of trees were clear-cut and the residents are complaining that Creekside doesn't "feel like the rest of The Woodlands." The developer did admit that they are using a different "standard" for landscaping in Creekside compared to the rest of the township. It never ends...

I just figured it's helpful to put the correct information out there, especially when it does affect taxes and school districts (in case anyone is looking to move here but is wondering about the difference between one subdivision and another).
COSCAggie03
AG
quote:
I graduated from The Woodlands HS. I currently live on NW Houston. I have never heard it referred to as the Fort Worth of Houston.
Never heard this either...class of 99 woodlands here
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:

Now Creekside residents are battling with developer because a bunch of trees were clear-cut and the residents are complaining that Creekside doesn't "feel like the rest of The Woodlands." The developer did admit that they are using a different "standard" for landscaping in Creekside compared to the rest of the township. It never ends...

happened to my brother. developer took out way more trees than was supposedly planned.
redag06
Never understood why people care so much if you aren't really in the boundaries of said neighborhood.
Woodlands and Heights people may be the worst.
TXTransplant
quote:

happened to my brother. developer took out way more trees than was supposedly planned.

I'm curious about the details...was this on a residential construction project or a commercial? What has people up in arms here is the clear cutting that was done in the median of Kuykendahl to build the HEB, the Creekside Village center, and some restaurants next to the fire station. The property directly next to the fire station was the most recent area to get the ax (literally), and it seemed to really shock people. It's not helping that a bunch of land was clear cut for the second elementary school a few years ago, and now even more has been cut to build a third elem school and also a junior high. I don't quite see how you build school with appropriate facilities and parking, though, without a fair amount of clear cutting.

Clear cutting lots is nothing new and shouldn't surprise anyone. I don't really want a giant pine tree to fall on my house during a hurricane, so this doesn't bother me as much.

I've been trying to reserve judgement until everything is complete. It's hard for me to envision what it's going to look like, so I've been taking a wait and see approach. But a lot of my neighbors are very upset and there is a petition circulating (not sure what else can be done, though, since they are essentially in the last phase of development...most everything has already been cut).
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Never understood why people care so much if you aren't really in the boundaries of said neighborhood.
Woodlands and Heights people may be the worst.

I think in the case of the Woodlands it specifically has to do with tax rates, school zoning, etc.

Plus, it's known as a nice place to live so people want to attach themselves to that. I know for a fact that when Exxon decided to build their campus and let their people in northern Virginia know they would be moving them they specifically told them it would be in the Woodlands because of the reputation there to combat some of the negative stereotypes of Houston
Bismarck
AG
quote:
Clear cutting lots is nothing new and shouldn't surprise anyone. I don't really want a giant pine tree to fall on my house during a hurricane, so this doesn't bother me as much.
The clear-cutting in The Woodlands is a surprise because the area was developed with the idea in mind of cutting down the minimal amount of native vegetation necessary to develop the property. Until recently, buildings were limited in height to the height of the surrounding tree canopy. It's a pretty radical departure from the founding vision for the community and one of the selling points for living there. You can't cut down a tree in The Woodlands on your lot that is greater than 6 inches in circumference without permission from the township. All that being said, the township has chosen to remain unincorporated to date and the end result is that the developer isn't restricted in the methods it chooses to use.
redag06
I understand this part, I don't understand the people who actually live in the the neighborhood and correct people that don't, and say they live in Spring.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I understand this part, I don't understand the people who actually live in the the neighborhood and correct people that don't, and say they live in Spring.
People are a-holes.
TXTransplant
quote:

The clear-cutting in The Woodlands is a surprise because the area was developed with the idea in mind of cutting down the minimal amount of native vegetation necessary to develop the property. Until recently, buildings were limited in height to the height of the surrounding tree canopy. It's a pretty radical departure from the founding vision for the community and one of the selling points for living there. You can't cut down a tree in The Woodlands on your lot that is greater than 6 inches in circumference without permission from the township. All that being said, the township has chosen to remain unincorporated to date and the end result is that the developer isn't restricted in the methods it chooses to use.

Should have clarified...I meant clear-cutting of residential lots. I didn't look at any houses older than about 10 years, and the vast majority of what I saw (most of which was in The Woodlands) the lot had obviously been clear-cut to build houses (as is still the case in Creekside). That doesn't bother me so much, as long as there are still trees in the common/green space areas and parks (and for the most part in Creekside, there are).

I was surprised to see how much was cut for the commercial development along Kuykendahl, but I'm still waiting to see what the final product looks like. It was disappointing to hear the developer say that a different "standard" is being used in Creekside compared to the rest of The Woodlands...I wonder what that really means.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Long, long ago, no one used The Woodlands in their actual mailing address. I don't remember when that changed.
Diggity
AG
when they changed the name of the City?
FtBendTxAg
AG
LMFAO. The woodlands is a POS compared to Ft Worth. Ft worth has an actual history, arts, museums, nightlife, well known higher education and isnt an ongoing joke to Dallasites like woodlands is to houstonians. The woodlands blows.
onceaggie
AG
quote:
LMFAO. The woodlands is a POS compared to Ft Worth. Ft worth has an actual history, arts, museums, nightlife, well known higher education and isnt an ongoing joke to Dallasites like woodlands is to houstonians. The woodlands blows.

LOL I grew up in the Woodlands and Ft worth is cool but overall is a dump oustide of the TCU area..

LOL at The Woodlands being a POS..
Ag_N_Houston
AG
No
TXTransplant
My guess is it changed gradually over the last 10 years or so, as the area grew. It doesn't matter so much from a mailing address standpoint (as far as the post office is concerned, The Woodlands doesn't exist), but certainly it does for trying to explain to people where you live.

Saying you live in Spring is almost as useful/useless as saying you live in Houston. And the only people I've ever met who actually say they live in Spring live down by 45 and 1960. The rest of us say we live in The Woodlands, or Klein, or Magnolia, or (maybe) Tomball (although that's equally as confusing)

The school districts don't help, either...The Woodlands is zoned to Conroe, Magnolia, and Tomball ISD, there are Spring zip codes zoned to Tomball and Klein ISD, and there are Tomball zip codes zoned to Klein ISD.

I've had people who know I live in The Woodlands ask "I thought you lived in The Woodlands?" when I've given my mailing address as Spring. It's kind of confusing until you've lived here a while. At least The Woodlands (sometimes) has some name recognition to non-locals.
cajunaggie08
AG
When I was younger I would hey concert t-shirts and the back of the shirt where it lists all the tour dates and locations or would say Spring, TX for the pavilion. Younger me was so confused
cheeky
AG
The Woodlands sucks. Please stop moving here.
BlitzBrother
Just sold 4,800 sq ft home here I lived in for 15 years - Sold first person , not listed - Bought 19 year old house here , very central and put in $300,000 plus remodel , rebuild , expanded slightly to 3,200 sq ft - Did as modern loft - 7 minutes from new office in Hughes Landing - Part of plan to simplify lifestyle and career - I'm young in neighborhood as empty nester , most fully retired - Will be interesting to watch further if more significant remodels happen in neighborhood , next generation moves in .
Buck O Five
AG
quote:
quote:
"Suburb" is apparently offensive as I was quickly corrected that The Woodlands is the Fort Worth to Houston. I'm not sure I buy into that completely but it is remarkable what is taking place in the area.

So perfect.
Nagler
AG
quote:
Ft worth is cool but overall is a dump oustide of the TCU area..

agnerd
AG
The Woodlands Boundary Map

Are the places people are mad about the little "islands" of land that aren't techincally part of The Woodlands, but are completely surrounded by it?
Dill-Ag13
AG
No, they're mad about Auburn Lakes, Magnolia, Shenandoah, and Oakridge people saying "I live in The Woodlands"

Fun fact: that small pentagon on the left-side of the map SE of "Station 5" is a GIANT estate in the middle of the woods.
TXTransplant
quote:
The Woodlands Boundary Map

Are the places people are mad about the little "islands" of land that aren't techincally part of The Woodlands, but are completely surrounded by it?

I don't think anyone is mad...some people are just snobby about it. The areas that go "unrecognized" by the rest of The Woodlands tend to be the developments that are in The Woodlands but aren't zoned to CISD schools (May Valley and Creekside) and the developments in Harris County that are sometimes marketed as "Woodlands area" when they are not (Auburn Lakes, Augusta Pines, etc.). I think most people even consider Shenandoah to be The Woodlands (even though it's technically not) because it's sort of right in the middle of the township. Most of the areas on that map that are land-locked by The Woodlands still ask (and get) the high per sq ft prices as the listings that are within The Woodlands boundaries

On a side note...can anyone familiar with the area comment on these two listings?
http://search.har.com/engine/27314-Blueberry-Hill-Dr-Oak-Ridge-North-TX-77385_HAR63072349.htm
http://search.har.com/engine/27316-Blueberry-Hill-Dr-Oak-Ridge-North-TX-77385_HAR49328871.htm

They are on the east side of 45 just off Robinson Rd (which is what Woodlands Pkwy is called after it crosses 45). Most definitely NOT a million-dollar/$250 per sq ft 'hood. In fact, those houses are literally a stone's throw from the railroad tracks. My son's Taekwondo school is right near there, so I drive past it all of the time. I would call it "craptastic"...no zoning, "business condos" (more like shacks) and a run-down gas station right next to older houses (which I assume will be torn down for these two builds). I'm just shocked...if I had $800k-$1 million to spend on a house I sure as heck wouldn't invest it in something in this location!
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
No, they're mad about Auburn Lakes, Magnolia, Shenandoah, and Oakridge people saying "I live in The Woodlands"

Fun fact: that small pentagon on the left-side of the map SE of "Station 5" is a GIANT estate in the middle of the woods.

It's easier to say the woodlands because people have an idea where that is. If I say north spring they don't really get it. Just south of the woodlands kind of works too.

I don't know if it's still true but auburn lakes vs creekside was about 80k difference for the same house, same builder, etc.
Diggity
AG
quote:
6.5 prime acres. Looks like more Latin American money. Wonder what "Grupo Enol" does?
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:

It's easier to say the woodlands because people have an idea where that is. If I say north spring they don't really get it. Just south of the woodlands kind of works too.

I don't know if it's still true but auburn lakes vs creekside was about 80k difference for the same house, same builder, etc.

Not any more...I live in Creekside and I've seen stuff in Auburn Lakes list for significantly more per sq ft (resales and new builds). Augusta Pines is sometimes a good bit less, depending on where and what builder. Those two neighborhoods have really coasted/capitalized on the increase in prices in The Woodlands.
TXTransplant
Got any scoop on that rectangle of land adjacent to Kuykendahl, just north of Creekside Forest? It includes the streets Ginger, Rolling Oaks, Cinnamon Run, and Indian Hills. That's our resident trailer park. Although, it's more like a "city center", since it also has a Mexican pottery shop, a taco stand, and a self-storage place, too. My neighbors and I have been wondering about it, and no one I've talked to around here knows anything.
tommyjohn
quote:

The pentagon on the map is a little off. I lived off of Vesper Bend when the house was being built. Crazy thingis you can access it through the subdivision complete with a fancy gate or off of Red Bay road.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
On a side note...can anyone familiar with the area comment on these two listings?
http://search.har.com/engine/27314-Blueberry-Hill-Dr-Oak-Ridge-North-TX-77385_HAR63072349.htm
http://search.har.com/engine/27316-Blueberry-Hill-Dr-Oak-Ridge-North-TX-77385_HAR49328871.htm

They are on the east side of 45 just off Robinson Rd (which is what Woodlands Pkwy is called after it crosses 45). Most definitely NOT a million-dollar/$250 per sq ft 'hood. In fact, those houses are literally a stone's throw from the railroad tracks. My son's Taekwondo school is right near there, so I drive past it all of the time. I would call it "craptastic"...no zoning, "business condos" (more like shacks) and a run-down gas station right next to older houses (which I assume will be torn down for these two builds). I'm just shocked...if I had $800k-$1 million to spend on a house I sure as heck wouldn't invest it in something in this location!

Not familiar at all but with the growth in the area and the fact that Oak Ridge HS and the schools feeding into it have seen drastic increases in the income levels of kids going there I can see these being good plays.

Both are on half-acre'ish lots and would probably be double their respective prices west of 45.

With the commercial growth up there, Exxon, Southwest Energy, and everybody else I'd say it's past time to be buying or speculating east of 45.

And for the record, I think both of those are pretty badass houses.
The Wonderer
AG
I always say the border of north spring and the woodlands because nobody really connects Augusta Pines/Auburn Lakes with Spring.
tommyjohn
Everything said about that area of Oak Ridge (Blueberry Rd.) is correct with regards to it being crappy. The growth east of 45 all happening to the south and west of that area over off of Rayford and Riley Fuzzel.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Everything said about that area of Oak Ridge (Blueberry Rd.) is correct with regards to it being crappy. The growth east of 45 all happening to the south and west of that area over off of Rayford and Riley Fuzzel.
For now.
jja79
AG
Oak Ridge will have 2 high schools soon.
TXTransplant
quote:
Not familiar at all but with the growth in the area and the fact that Oak Ridge HS and the schools feeding into it have seen drastic increases in the income levels of kids going there I can see these being good plays.

Both are on half-acre'ish lots and would probably be double their respective prices west of 45.

With the commercial growth up there, Exxon, Southwest Energy, and everybody else I'd say it's past time to be buying or speculating east of 45.

And for the record, I think both of those are pretty badass houses.

Yeah, I think the houses are cool, too. And there is a ton of development on the east side of 45. That particular area though, is just terrible! If you live here, you know what I mean. If you don't, Google map and street view it. And having railroad tracks literally in your front yard? Yikes!

I was also under the impression that the general area where those houses will be built is supposed to go commercial. I know there are plans to widen Robinson Rd, and there are houses that front it that are being marketed as residential now but commercial in the future. I'm just really surprised that specific area is being targeted for tear downs to be replaced with million $ homes. I'd expect tear downs over there to be replaced with shopping centers.

I'm just wondering if we are beginning to see the limit of how much people are willing to pay to live up here. It's hard for me to imagine spending $1 million for a view of the railroad tracks. That new development adjacent to the Exxon Campus (Springwoods Village) is listing 1700 sq ft bungalows for $400k...and they are zoned to Spring High School. There is absolutely nothing else in that area that even comes close to that price per sq ft. I'm thinking those developers are banking on the transfers just not knowing any better.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.