Houston
Sponsored by

what is the most ghetto neighborhood in Houston???

30,202 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by AgLA06
ccolley68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Not anymore, but lived in the 3rd ward along MacGregor for a few years. It really wasn't bad, had some stuff stolen out of my car once, but nothing scary.

But yeah, you don't go for walks at night and stuff like that (though during daylight hours is just fine). The main thing that annoyed me was how bad the drivers are. I usually took W. Alabama on the way to work and you had to really watch for people running stop signs. Also was rear ended multiple times by no insurance types. Main reason I moved.

Still, would much rather live in the better parts of these areas than a suburb.

3rd Ward along McGregor =/= true 3rd Ward or any of the 5th Ward
Bluto
AG
Isn't Midtown part of 3rd ward?

I say Oakforest is the most ghetto area.
agforlife97
AG

agforlife97
AG
Oak Forest? Come on. The core Oak Forest area is really nice. It's certainly not more ghetto than Independence Heights or Aldine, etc.
Bluto
AG
Midtown isn't quite 3rd ward it appears. Btw, I live in oakforest. It was a joke.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Also had one of our own guys get his van stolen full of tools in the Cullen/BW8 area on the south side.

South Cullen may be the most ****ed up stretch of road I've driven during the day. Other areas may be worse at night, But I think that may be the only part of town I've driven through that I absolutely would feel uncomfortable stopping in during the day.
BMX Bandit
"greater third ward" is not the third ward.

twinmom'97
AG
Funny story about one of the Hood areas.
My office is in between two not so great areas.
Early voting was going on (a couple years ago) and my boss asked me where his nearest voting location was. So I gave him a map and circled the East Hardy Service center that he should go to. It’s not far from the office and kind of on his route home.
He decides to go at lunch and decided that another location was closer.
Acres Homes Center.
He didn’t even realize that neighborhood was there and he'd been at that same office for several years. I gave him the Wikipedia link to explain the history of Acres Homes and told him he probably messed up their stats with his ballot.
The next time, he went to the East Hardy one instead.
Zemira
AG
jh0400
AG
One time I let someone convince me to take Alabama from UH to Richmond Ave. We cut over on Dowling to get to Wheeler. There's no way I'd consider making that drive after dark. That still has nothing on the area around HOU in my opinion, however. The first time I flew into there at night was an interesting experience.
MouthBQ98
AG
Greenspoint is fine during the day, but it gets pretty rough when sun goes down. It isn't the worst, though.

I've worked in the greenspoint area for almost 10 years and there was a fatal shooting 100 yards from my office building a few years back...at 4 in the afternoon. I actually heard the gunfire. Some idiots tried to rob a pawn shop with armed security and lost. They're even bigger idiots because there is an HPD substation not a quarter mile away.
agsuper1
Gunspoint
88jrt06
AG
That Bagel shop reps Maplewood South, NOT Meyerland....

Old Ghetto...just get on Cullen by UH and drive south for miles and miles.

New Ghetto....excepting near SW side and Heights, ANYWHERE (almost) between Beltway and 610. Some exceptions, not too many. Just watch the a.m. news body counts.
North Mayne
AG
quote:
Yes, it's really not that bad. If you just exercise a little common sense, it's not a big deal to live in this area.

LOL...dude...most of it is VERY bad. AOE is a f-ing cop who has patrolled some of the roughest areas and he nominates it as the worst. I used to give "hood tours" and I had routes covering 5th Ward, 3rd, 4th, Acres Homes and Hiram Clarke areas. And I nominate 5th Ward as well. Although pockets of the 3rd and SE side are very bad. My guess is you have probably experienced a small sliver of the nickel. That, or you are just playing contrarian like so many people (mosty liberals) on Texags seem to do.

[This message has been edited by North Mayne (edited 7/25/2012 1:36p).]
agforlife97
AG
My main point was that it's not as bad as the reputation. It's not like there are constant murders, rapes and drive bys. I lived in the greater 3rd ward for 3 years and never had any serious issue.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I used to give "hood tours" and I had routes covering 5th Ward, 3rd, 4th, Acres Homes and Hiram Clarke areas. And I nominate 5th Ward as well. Although pockets of the 3rd and SE side are very bad. My guess is you have probably experienced a small sliver of the nickel. That, or you are just playing contrarian like so many people (mosty liberals)

I was wondering which retread troll would have picked a gay ass name like "North Mayne." Now I know.
houstontx
quote:
I was wondering which retread troll would have picked a gay ass name like "North Mayne." Now I know.

hahaha
North Mayne
AG
quote:
My main point was that it's not as bad as the reputation. It's not like there are constant murders, rapes and drive bys.

No one is claiming that it is just constant chaos and death over there. It is just the poorest roughest most proud neighborhood in Houston.

quote:
I lived in the greater 3rd ward for 3 years and never had any serious issue.

There are areas within the 3rd ward you absolutely wouldnt want to live within a few block radius of though.
North Mayne
AG
quote:

Can't imagine the chat room p*ssy you must get. You are f-ing BADASS.
BarryProfit
quote:
I tend to run the red lights in the neighborhood surrounding the airport to avoid car jacking.

That's a bit extreme.
agsuper1
Go back to the golf board barry
clintaggie04
AG
No respect for Edgebrook and 45? It is real rough down there.
BarryProfit
quote:
Go back to the golf board barry

Blow me
agsuper1
Loser
Fresh As I Is
AG
settegast..
MAS444
AG
There are really nice areas/homes in 3rd Ward. Just cause you "lived there" for 3 years doesn't really mean anything.
North Mayne
AG
Seems like it could be very risky but I often wonder about the investment opportunities in parts of tha tre. Particularly off Macgregor across 288 from Hermann park golf course. Some badass houses back there (many of which need slight to moderate TLC) and a pretty area in general. Any thoughts? Maybe I am a dumbass but I see a lot of potential. It's like a wayward Rice Village/West U (with a less prime location obviously).

Probably would be a really bad idea...but living in much of the heights or oak forest areas seemed unthinkable not too long ago.

[This message has been edited by North Mayne (edited 7/27/2012 2:48p).]
BunkerHill
There are some guys making good money fixing up houses in SE houston. But it is more like buy a place for $40k put $20K into it and sell it for $90k. Not a bad deal % wise.

The thing about the nice large houses, is there are very few people who can afford those that are going to move there instead of some place safer.

I remeber a story a few years ago on the news about a black guy who was successful and bought one of the houses on macgregor because he had good intentions of staying in the hood to make it a better place. He had been robbed repeatedly and ended up killing or shotting some dude robbing breaking into his house at night.
AgLA06
AG
Born and raised in Oak Forest. Anyone claiming it was unthinkable to live here before has no clue. It used to be nicer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.