Houston
Sponsored by

what is the most ghetto neighborhood in Houston???

30,201 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by AgLA06
BoxingAg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
5th ward is the most ghetto overall

Remember the famous song by Willie D called 5th Ward? H-Tine classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2pyBdx7o6c
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
That bagel shop in Meyerland is quality. I'm positive that is not the most ghetto neighborhood. Not by a long shot.

I was being facetious. Reference to an old thread.
tbrooksv
AG
AOE knows what he is talking about. But I got my CHL because of an encounter in the Westchase District. I kept my hand on my gun often on Homestead and Lockwood. And I actually left a store and dialed 911 (ready to send) on Bingle and W. Little York.

Houston is extremely unsegregated as opposed to one of the most segregated cities like St. Louis.
LisaMarie
AG
my mom was born and raised in Denver Harbor and I still have family living in that same house.

Always fun visiting them. I actually have really good memories of DH. Walking to the corner store, raspas, feeding the stray dogs, the neighbors butchering animals for Santeria, etc.
MouthBQ98
AG
The cops probably have the best stories, but I work for AT&T and spent several years in the engineering department, and have some family that also did outside work for AT&T, and they have some crazy stories about doing work in some rough parts of town. Even the most ghetto places all have phone service, and fortunately, for the most part, utility workers are looked at as sort of a neutral party and are left alone, but they do see some crazy stuff going on.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
utility workers are looked at as sort of a neutral party and are left alone

Unless they're going to disconnect service for nonpayment.

[This message has been edited by Harry Lime (edited 7/22/2012 10:00p).]
redag06
Mouth--- dad worked for att all over the city especially the nickel, he has tons of stories. More than most cops I know.
There is a reason aoe said 5th ward. When he worked there and in the swat. Nickel is bad!
amg405
AG
Some of y'all that have stories (AoE) should post them.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
AoE, have you ever worked the Gulfton Ghetto? An HPD veteran I know said he felt more in danger there than the nickel and had some pretty effed up stories to illustrate his point.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Probably Meyerland.

We reppin hard. I had an everything from there this morning. Almost got shanked by the shapiros during a fight over the last strudel
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
ET's are the best, Jerry, the best!

Thought about going for breakfast this morning but decided to have whisky instead.
bigjag19
AG
South Park
ccolley68
AG
quote:
quote:
utility workers are looked at as sort of a neutral party and are left alone

Unless they're going to disconnect service for nonpayment.

[This message has been edited by Harry Lime (edited 7/22/2012 10:00p).]

Or unless they leave their van/truck long enough to be robbed. We built a habitat-for-humanity type house with a company I used to work for in Sunnyside and I believe it was a Centerpoint guy or someone like that who was beaten and had all his tools and equipment stolen.

Also had one of our own guys get his van stolen full of tools in the Cullen/BW8 area on the south side. Forgot his paperwork in the house, goes back in to the house to get it, leaves the keys in the van(I know, stupid on his part), walks out to see the homeowner just watching his van drive off.

Dill-Ag13
AG
The 5th ward might take the cake. Went there a few months ago. Ghetto ghetto ghetto
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:

Your alief box is too far south. I grew up in that box and it wasn't, and isn't that bad. The bad stuff is north and west of the box.
62strat
AG
quote:
We drove 249 from Beltway to 45 last night. What neighborhood is that? It sucked.

Right near the beltway is Willowood.. that's bad, not crazy bad though.

But more towards 45, it's acres homes. Mentioned in this thread, and really bad.
gordo97
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
I work not far north of there. Between 610 and BW8 has become increasingly ghettacular in every direction.
agchugger
AG
Acres Homes. Any neighborhood where every 10th house is a makeshift church has got to be bad news. NY Bagel Shop is the best. The only thing they'll kill you with is their prices.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I just ran up to one of our facilities near 59N & 610. As I was turning around on Kelly over 59 to head back downtown, I was confronted with a horse riding towards me on the wrong side of the street with two young Hispanic kids on its back.

It definitely struck me as a bit strange.
texican08
AG
quote:
And I actually left a store and dialed 911 (ready to send) on Bingle and W. Little York.

what did you see?
AggieLaw08
quote:
my mom was born and raised in Denver Harbor and I still have family living in that same house

My parents both were born in Denver Harbor. My dad and grandparents went to Port Houston Baptist Church before moving to the "nicer" Galena Park area.
DCC99
AG
quote:
That bagel shop in Meyerland is quality.

My boss took me there a while back. Great place.
agforlife97
AG
3rd and 5th wards are not nearly as bad as OTL people think. The area between 288 and Scott is not a place I would go at night for sure, but the other parts of the 3rd and 5th wards really aren't that bad. I think Southeast Houston between Hobby and 288 is probably worse overall.
Old Ag 74
AG
When I was growing up in Houston, the Sharpstown area and SW was nice. It is very ghetto now. I worked at Bissonett and Beltway 8 recently, and there is a huge complex of apartments in there that are really rough. The building I was working in had numerous "clinics" in it that were nothing but pill mills.
North Mayne
AG
quote:
3rd and 5th wards are not nearly as bad as OTL people think. The area between 288 and Scott is not a place I would go at night for sure, but the other parts of the 3rd and 5th wards really aren't that bad. I think Southeast Houston between Hobby and 288 is probably worse overall.

Have you really toured 5th Ward throughout? This seems to be spoken like someone who has mostly stuck to the main streets if anything. It gets really bad back there, unlike anything I have seen in Houston on some of those streets.
agforlife97
AG
Yes, it's really not that bad. If you just exercise a little common sense, it's not a big deal to live in this area.
agsuper1
When I take southwest back from LA I normally get back late. I tend to run the red lights in the neighborhood surrounding the airport to avoid car jacking.
ccolley68
AG
quote:
Yes, it's really not that bad. If you just exercise a little common sense, it's not a big deal to live in this area.

Wait a tick, you live in the area? Are you insane? I work in the 5th Ward, and though I am not normally afraid of anything during the day, no way I would spend time here once the sun goes down.
The Milkman
AG
quote:

I don't want to be somewhere where I have to constantly be on my ready of not doing something stupid. Common sense would be to not go on the area or on some streets. If that's the case it's already a "big deal" to be in the area
cjg89
AG
Yall sound like Houston weathermen with a storm coming.
agsuper1
Its not bad as long as your packing and wear a vest
MouthBQ98
AG
Wait until you stay late at work, then you have to drive through one of those areas at night and your car breaks down....
agforlife97
AG
Not anymore, but lived in the 3rd ward along MacGregor for a few years. It really wasn't bad, had some stuff stolen out of my car once, but nothing scary.

But yeah, you don't go for walks at night and stuff like that (though during daylight hours is just fine). The main thing that annoyed me was how bad the drivers are. I usually took W. Alabama on the way to work and you had to really watch for people running stop signs. Also was rear ended multiple times by no insurance types. Main reason I moved.

Still, would much rather live in the better parts of these areas than a suburb.
Bibendum 86
AG
Years ago, I got a flat at about midnight on 59. Pulled off the freeway and realized I was at Jenson and Lyons. NASCAR crews never worked so fast.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.