Houston
Sponsored by

EZ TAG vs TxTag

28,686 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by TX04Aggie
Quantum ace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I spend half an hour looking over the websites for the various toll tags in Texas, and it seems like they are all accepted at "most" places. Is there any advantage to getting one over the other?
Ryan the Temp
AG
I think TxTag entry fees are lower.
Jack Klompus
AG
EZTag requires you have to have an initial balance of $40 in your account and replenishes when you get below $10, while the TxTag requires you to have an initial balance of $20 in your account and replenishes when you get below $10. The TxTag itself costs $9.65 while the EZTag costs $15.

http://www.txtag.org/txtag_fees_and_charges.php

http://www.hctra.org/about_faq/billing/

Edit: Clarification and Link Edit

[This message has been edited by Jack Klompus (edited 5/24/2010 11:41a).]
rdag04
AG
soooo why do people get the ez tag and not the txtag?
rdag04
AG
this is a good thread. i have been wanting to know this info as well.

can you use the TxTag at the airport eztag exits??
Furlock Bones
AG
rdag. the airport eztag option is going away to low interest.
rdag04
AG
ok so the txtag website says:

quote:
In future, your TxTag sticker may be used to pay fees for crossing international bridges and for parking at airports and garages, but this functionality is not currently available.

so is that the main difference?? you can't use the txtag for garage exit and airports?
rdag04
AG
really sloan? thats a bummer.
Aggie Athlete Involved
AG
nevermind -
looks like the toll rates are the same whether you have the txtag or eztag

[This message has been edited by Aggie Athlete Involved (edited 5/24/2010 12:58p).]
aTm2004
AG
Just so I'm clear...I can use my EZTag in Dallass and Austin?
rdag04
AG
this is so confusing to me. the only difference i can see after reading both websites is the price. why would you want the more expensive ez tag?? am i missing something?
coastalAg
AG
I have txtag and have used it with no problems all over the state. Not sure of any good reason to get an eztag
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
this is so confusing to me.

I am somewhat relieved that I am not the only one. I was beginning to thing some old concussions were catching up with me.

I am probably going to just go with the TxTag, unless someone points out any advantage with the EZ TAG.
BigPuma
AG
quote:
I am probably going to just go with the TxTag, unless someone points out any advantage with the EZ TAG.

i can go get an EZ Tag immediately.
AgFan1999
AG
that's what I was going to say. if there's an issue with your EZTag (sensor goes out, etc) you can drive over and get another one. The other tags you'd have to wait until it was mailed.
Sassafras42
FWIW, EZTag customer service has always been super friendly and helpful the few times I had to call. It's nice dealing with a local authority if anything is needed.

I haven't had a TxTag, so I don't know how easy it is to work with them.
schmendeler
AG
i've had ez tag for 4 years or so. no problems. it's nice that they have stores all over.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's a difference of 5 bucks.
rdag04
AG
thank you for that assessment onlyfornow. we have all arrived that is the only difference. we were trying to figure out if there were any other differences between the two tags. nobody is complaining that $5 is too much money to additionally spend. We were just questioning the reasoning behind the need for it and what your ROI is
Jack Klompus
AG
EZTag could be used for parking at Hobby & Bush, but IIRC, this option is being removed on June 21.

[This message has been edited by Jack Klompus (edited 5/24/2010 4:46p).]
Jack Klompus
AG
Apparently there is an option for your EZ tag to be used at non-toll locations, like your gated subdivision entry, your company parking garage, etc.

quote:
My new EZ TAG isn't working at non-tollway facilities (subdivision entry access, company parking garage gate, etc.) but my previous EZ TAG worked fine why?
New EZ TAGs can be used at all locations where previous EZ TAGs were used.

You will need to provide your new EZ TAG identification number (the number that begins with "HCTRA" to the manager of the gate and/or access control system. These types of access control systems "read" EZ TAG identification numbers and check them against a stored list of allowable identification numbers. If your EZ TAG has not been registered with their system, it will likely result in denied access. If you continue to experience difficulties using your sticker-type EZ TAG at non-tolling facilities, please contact the tag manufacturer at 713-355-3628 for further assistance.
highwayman
TXDOT nailed it by allowing 2 different toll tags with different authorizations
randy828
AG
I have the EZ tag and was surprised when I was in Austin and took their toll...I think it is 45...and they told me at the toll booth that my EZ tag was good for that toll road too. So the next time I went right through...checked my account online later just to make sure and the charge did come through.

So, yep...you can use your EZ tag in Austin.

The airport was pretty sweet deal, I was bummed when I got the notification it was going away.
Simplebay
AG
get EZ. since you're easy quantum.
TX04Aggie
AG
yeah i'm still upset they are taking the airport parking option out of the EZ Tag. I use it all the time at Hobby, nice to just blow through the exit gate, I find it hard to believe low interest and cost, because I mean the sensors area already there, just keep them there....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.