Houston
Sponsored by

Name clubs and bars from the 70s and 80s

47,447 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
AgCPA95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hwy30East said:

I wasn't old enough to go to Cowboys at the time, but I know my older brother spent tons of money in that place. It was also one of the clubs that was in Urban Cowboy, I believe.
The "uptown bar" where Pam took Bud in Urban Cowboy was at 1885 St. James Place a block south of San Felipe. It is now an office tower but was The Courtyard at St. James up until about 10 years ago. Rentable event place as I attended an awards event as well as a wedding there.

From 2011 google street view.

84AGEC
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Hwy30East said:

I wasn't old enough to go to Cowboys at the time, but I know my older brother spent tons of money in that place. It was also one of the clubs that was in Urban Cowboy, I believe.
The "uptown bar" where Pam took Bud in Urban Cowboy was at 1885 St. James Place a block south of San Felipe. It is now an office tower but was The Courtyard at St. James up until about 10 years ago. Rentable event place as I attended an awards event as well as a wedding there.

Nope. It was cowboys.
AgCPA95
AG
84AGEC said:

AgCPA95 said:

Hwy30East said:

Nope. It was cowboys.

Just what I remember reading as it was some two story deal. I stand corrected.
aggiedata
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Hwy30East said:

Isn't that close to where the Ocean Club was located as well?
Hwy30East
There was also another club in Urban Cowboy called Elan, and it was a 3 story club. A real high class swanky place.
Hwy30East
Same building.
RC_57
AG
Hwy30East said:

Does anyone remember the Winchester Club? On Bissonet, between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock. Isaac P. Sweat was the house band.
Oh hell yea! Use to go there couple of nights per week. Bunch of us regulars would meet there,usually grabbed the 2nd table on the left as you just walked in. Right near the front, close to the band

Did many a Cotton Eye Joe and Shaddish (sp?) there.

And thanks, I couldn't remember the name of the band

While we're at it, I remember more recently -1999 to 2003 - going to the Longhorn, was in the NW Mall parking lot

Wednesday nights, most any drink in the house was a $1. Used to regain consciousness on Thursday mornings going "How in the hell did I drop 80 bucks on dollar drink night?"
maroon barchetta
"I got plenty of friends
And the fun never ends
That is, as long as I'm buyin'!"

Name the song and band
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Huh, apparently that's where the party rental place (formerly Aztec) is located now, 5714 Bissonnet.
Looks like they closed in '86.

*Also found this interesting clip from an older Winchester Club getting torn down on S Post Oak, between W Alabama & Richmond. Leon Pappy Self played fiddle at the demo in 1973:

Hwy30East
maroon barchetta said:

"I got plenty of friends
And the fun never ends

Name the song and band
Too much time on my hands by Styx.
maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta
Hwy30East said:

maroon barchetta said:

"I got plenty of friends
And the fun never ends

Name the song and band
Too much time on my hands by Styx.

Now tell us the lyrics from the live version.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.