Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,243,662 Views | 19965 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by VP at Pierce and Pierce
ac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hincemm said:

thanks for posting, i missed this. listening to bob get emotional was rough.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Old Tom Morris
You'll still have Norm picks to fade
MW03
AG
Jack Ruby said:

The podcast/youtube/twitch stream market is absurdly over saturated right now. Everyone and their grandma is trying to break through. You'd have to get at least several hundred thousand views per episode and put one out every day to even come to close to making a living. Certainly nothing compared to what they made at the ticket.

It's doable if they hire an editor and are prepared not to make money for a while. On youtube with advertising, I think the mark is like $5 per 1000 views. You get more at various higher subscriber levels. Dan and Jake's goodbye video on youtube has 32,000 views in 18 hours. If it were monetized, that video would be worth $160.

You could make $500 for a single video, but you would need to get 100,000 views. So say you produce 3 videos a week, and you average 100,000 per video, that $1,500 a week, or $78,000 per year. Now take out equipment and pay for an editor. Now divide that by two. And that's averaging 300,000 views on your video per week.

You can make good money doing this, but you a ton of views and a ton of subscribers. And more than that, you need to leverage those numbers for sponsors and merchandise and speaking engagements.
Ervin Burrell
AG
They could also go the simple Patreon route and charge $X amount for the right to listen to their podcast. If they can find 5,000 folks to give them $5/month, that's $300k annually for them to split before any costs. Maybe the thought of putting out just 2-3 eps a week and still banking ~$100k/year plus whatever ad revenue they're able to get is more appealing than what they were doing/getting at the Ticket.
EllisCoAg
AG
would they go the podcast\youtube route without sponsors lined up? Seems like a big risk.

also, part of the ticket's charm is the organic play off of not only the hosts, but also the producer and board op with their mistakes and missteps and being able to respond live. Just those tow talking about a topic might be kinda stale
sterlicious
AG
I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they're starting a podcast, pushing their YouTube channel, or something like that. In reality, they are probably just fed up with something behind the scenes and thinking that they've got options they didn't have before now that Rhyner has basically started a Ticket Spinoff. The Fan has been a Ticket imitation for quite a while now too. I would not be shocked to see them end up at either place....but who knows, maybe Dan will pull those strings with his sister and get on with Clay Travis.
FTAco07
AG
Really going to hit hard at training camp that they aren't there. Those two are always among the stars of the group trips.
Ol Jock 99
AG
hoosier-daddy said:

The Freak is allowing Julie to do both & apparently Cumulus wouldnt allow it. Risky move but no doubt Julie makes more money from her podcast sponsors than she does on The Freak.

https://www.themomgamepod.com/services

I hope they follow a similar path as Julie & Emily. If they go behind a pay wall, I'll be saying my goodbyes to Dan & Jake.
From The Mom Game Pod "about us"...
Quote:

Julie Dobbs is a radio personality on KTCK The Ticket in Dallas and a former sideline reporter who spent...
I have to assume the money she and Emily are making is, shall we say, modest.
mavsfan4ever
AG
MW03 said:

They posted their goodbye message on their youtube account with a three-camera set up. My guess is they want to take "Ticket Culture" and replicate Barstool, Fore Play, Outkick, etc. and break into the video podcasting space with advertiser/sponsor driven revenue as opposed to a subscription model for podcasting. I recall their "dragon's den" broadcasting during the covid and thinking it was a missed opportunity that there wasn't a video component to the ticket stuff.

It makes sense if you think about the "digital rights" comments. Maybe they wanted the ability to simulcast the radio program on youtube or the like and collect sponsorship revenue. Maybe they had tried in the past to use material from the radio show on youtube but weren't permitted to monetize it, so they stopped trying.

Either way, I think their attractiveness is intertwined with the Ticket itself and I'm not certain it carries. I get wanting to bet on yourself, but man. Jake has 54k on twitter. Dan has 79k. Their youtube channel has 2.5k subscribers. They just don't see like the kind of guys who would enjoy doing what it takes in the social media spaces to grow to the size to make decent money doing that work full time. Look at Mike Rhyner. He left the ticket and almost immediately started "My Dark Companion." Maybe it was to run out the clock until a noncompete ran and he could do the Freak thing, but regardless, I don't think it got much traction because he's not a self-promotion type of dude.

Now, if there is an enterprising entity out there that wants to finance these guys to move into the video podcasting space, that might be a different story. I could see someone investing in ticket personnel to create a version of Barstool, Outkick, Ringer, etc that has several components, including both multiple podcasts and written media. Whether that would be successful is a good question.

Personally, I think a lot of folks listen to the Ticket because it's on and it's easy during the work day. I just don't see myself seeking out Dan and Jake or Norm. About the only person I have sought out is Gordo and his Twitch streams on occasion. I would probably chase a Musers podcast if they ever go that route.

This all makes sense, but man I hope they aren't thinking they are going to be Youtube stars. I just don't see it happening. I'm sure they could improve, but they were awful in the goodbye video, especially jake. He was not comfortable on camera.

And they basically always make fun of self promotion/social media people. So I agree that they likely won't want to do what is necessary to gain a ton of followers.

I agree with everyone who says they are going to seriously regret this decision in a few months. They were basically at the pinnacle of their career/industry. I don't see it getting better from there. We don't know the exact negotiation terms, but from the segment this morning it sounds like it wasn't some lowball offer money wise. They either have something lined up and are lying to everyone or they have way too much self confidence that they can have enough patreon/youtube subscribers to make what they were making at the Ticket. And even if they can make what they were making, I think they will still regret it because they won't constantly be hanging around and interacting with friends every day. I don't think they will realize how much that means to them and how much they miss it until a few months from now. Plus, the Ticket and the other hosts/producers/board ops add a ton to their show, and it's going tot take a lot more work from both of them now to keep whatever they do entertaining.

I don't see it. And this is coming from someone who has probably listened to 95% of the Hang Zone episodes.
Just Tired
t - cam said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Lol at Corby taking credit for Jake's career. Also he can't understand why anybody would leave the Ticket. No **** Corby, you make $800k and don't do ***** Probably a bit different for Dan and Jake.

I believe Dan was one of the highest paid hosts. He and Bob got drive time money when they were about to leave a decade or so ago.
you sure about that? they usually seem to refer to that negotiation as they got run over but at the 11th hour they just didn't want to leave the ticket team.
Ag CPA
AG
I agree. Speaking of friends, I think end endgame is going to the Freak and reuniting with Julie and Sirois. The podcast may be a side-gig to bring in some extra cash but it isn't a reliable source of income for two guys that probably still need it.
DallasAggie89
AG
Ag CPA said:

I agree. Speaking of friends, I think end endgame is going to the Freak and reuniting with Julie and Sirois. The podcast may be a side-gig to bring in some extra cash but it isn't a reliable source of income for two guys that probably still need it.

This.

There is no way they left without an offer from another paying job which will be the Freak or the Fan.
Goldie Wilson
Someone posted on Reddit that IJB is making $4200/month via Patreon. Not bad for a low effort eff around side gig. I would think that D&J could go that route and easily outpace those numbers by a few multiples.
powerbelly
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

Someone posted on Reddit that IJB is making $4200/month via Patreon. Not bad for a low effort eff around side gig. I would think that D&J could go that route and easily outpace those numbers by a few multiples.

They would need 10x or more to replace salaries and benefits these guys had.
Just Tired
Goldie Wilson said:

wow. way more than i would have guessed.
Goldie Wilson
powerbelly said:

Goldie Wilson said:

They would need 10x or more to replace salaries and benefits these guys had.
Seems doable to me when IJB is doing $4k per month on about 900 patrons.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
ac04 said:

"Dan and Jake Ticket goodbye"

Every time I actually see Jake talk I can only think about Lyle Robideaux.

Stive
AG
I must be bad at math.

How in the world is a podcast that has 900 listeners making 4K+ per month? That's the equivalent of each of those listeners paying $5 per month to listen but I can't wrap my head around the fact that a sponsor or two would pay them roughly 50k per year to reach an audience of 900.

What am I missing?
Goldie Wilson
Stive said:

I must be bad at math.

How in the world is a podcast that has 900 listeners making 4K+ per month? That's the equivalent of each of those listeners paying $5 per month to listen but I can't wrap my head around the fact that a sponsor or two would pay them roughly 50k per year to reach an audience of 900.

What am I missing?
Each of those listeners pays $5 / month. That's it.
AG
what does the norm "i really appreciate you" sound on gordo's twitch mean? new subscriber?
Ervin Burrell
AG
Stive said:

I must be bad at math.

What am I missing?

IJB does no advertising-that 4K per month is solely from people paying to listen.
Stive
AG
Gotcha. Interesting.

That won't go very far when it comes to two families, any support they need for editing, equipment, etc., and without a marketing platform like the Ticket to help get them new listeners.

Yikes what a thin business model.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Stive said:

Gotcha. Interesting.

That won't go very far when it comes to two families, any support they need for editing, equipment, etc., and without a marketing platform like the Ticket to help get them new listeners.

Yikes what a thin business model.
Very true, but the HZ is much, much more popular than IJB. So, let's say they believe/have done market research that indicates they could get 10,000 listeners per month (instead of 800)...suddenly that $4,000/month turns into $50,000/month. I have zero clue how realistic that is or what a realistic number would be, but the thought of potentially making $20 - 30 grand a month for pumping out a few podcasts a week is pretty enticing.

But, as others have said, part of what makes HZ and other Ticket shows great is being able to play off of what's going on with other shows, having guests on from other shows (Picks with Friends), station outings (campound, training camp, summer bash, etc.)...that all goes away. Also, you have to wonder how big a hit their chemistry would take if it's just them two with no producer or other show members to talk to, and if they decide to video their show...as has been pointed out, that video posted yesterday was pretty awkward/cringey.
dave94
AG
I definitely chalk yesterday up to the awkwardness of the situation, Jake wanting to get sincere, and Dan wanting to joke so as to not get too sappy.

I do think they would be better in a live streaming situation over a taped podcast.

I can only hope they've got some big ideas, they're both smart dudes.
Old Tom Morris
IJB benefits from free Ticket advertising due to Jake's exposure. In this scenario, their challenge over time will be attracting new listeners. Some loyal HZ fans would come at first, but then as they let subs expire for various reasons, replacing them becomes a problem unless you throw some serious dollars on marketing. Can't underestimate how valuable that Ticket exposure is, and it's about to dry up
Coates
Old Tom Morris said:

IJB benefits from free Ticket advertising due to Jake's exposure. In this scenario, their challenge over time will be attracting new listeners. Some loyal HZ fans would come at first, but then as they let subs expire for various reasons, replacing them becomes a problem unless you throw some serious dollars on marketing. Can't underestimate how valuable that Ticket exposure is, and it's about to dry up

I'm sure they have some pretty solid contacts across other markets, not just sports related. They had some pretty unique guests on over the years. I assume they'll try something on their own first, with the Freak or Fan as a safety net.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The interesting point on "outside the Ticket interests" is Bob (full disclosure…Bob is my leader). Bob has all sorts of outside interests. He gets paid to write for another sports media company. Something just doesn't add up there.
EastSideAg2002
Coates said:

Old Tom Morris said:

I'm sure they have some pretty solid contacts across other markets, not just sports related. They had some pretty unique guests on over the years. I assume they'll try something on their own first, with the Freak or Fan as a safety net.
Lee Corso as guest #1
powerbelly
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The interesting point on "outside the Ticket interests" is Bob (full disclosure…Bob is my leader). Bob has all sorts of outside interests. He gets paid to write for another sports media company. Something just doesn't add up there.

None of that competes with the ticket for ad dollars or listeners and might actually help. If the hang zone wanted some kind of digital media rights it could cause problems.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Wellllll....about that....
East Dallas Ag
AG
Finally got around to watching the video, my take before watching was there was no way Jake, who has 2 young kids/wife/mortgage etc and at least talks like he is pretty conservative on the $ side, would "quit" without something lined up, and somewhat the same with Dan with 2 kids at expensive colleges, but after watching I am not so sure. At least Jake has the look either from being beaten down by the process or "Holy S%#@, I don't have a job anymore". Whichever the case I don't see them going to either competing station unless it becomes last resort, and even then I think they'd go to another market before competing against the ticket directly. I think they'll do some sort of mixed media streaming thing, probably through The Collective Network and try to grow that. I think the big question is do they do a live show and does that compete against the Ticket because I think the live aspect is the real key, being able to watch/listen later if you miss is great, but i don't think most people will be jazzed to just listen to a podcast taped 3 days ago, you want their live reaction to sports/events.
Goldie Wilson
powerbelly said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

None of that competes with the ticket for ad dollars or listeners and might actually help. If the hang zone wanted some kind of digital media rights it could cause problems.
My hunch at this point is that they didn't necessarily want ownership rights over their shows, but were looking for either (i) some sort of license to be able to post and monetize full HZ shows, similar to what you can get now on usaveit, but that money goes back to D&J or maybe back to Cumulus and D&J take a cut, or (ii) the right to do some sort of Dan & Jake podcast separate from the Ticket that they could monetize through ads and patrons. D&J know that the Ticket and radio aren't long for this world and are looking to get ahead of the eventual collapse. Cumulus is fine with Bob writing articles or Gordo doing Twitch, or even Jake doing a random eff around podcast with TC, but a D&J podcast was too directly competitive with the Ticket and the Hang Zone so they said no. This was Dan's non-starter. Could also see Dan taking a principled stance here on the basis that what he does outside of noon-3 belongs to him and Cumulus has no right to restrict that. Who knows
stew0720
AG
Big shakeup at the freak incoming…. Stay tuned, might drop tonight.
double aught
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Can't underestimate how valuable that Ticket exposure is, and it's about to dry up
Overestimate
First Page Last Page
Page 492 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.