Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,243,056 Views | 19958 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by dave94
Ol Sarge Friday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mavsfan4ever said:

Could see that happening. But doing nothing is much preferable to cumulus than giving the rights to Dan and Jake and letting them profit on it. Giving the rights away to Dan and Jake takes listeners away from the radio station. Doing nothing arguably adds listeners.

I subscribe to that website that lets you listen to all shows at any time. It basically records all shows. And I never listen to the radio any more. The digital rights of the show would just give that option to a much larger audience.

Maybe there is a middle ground where Dan and Jake get a small cut of the digital revenue/profit. But they'd re never getting all or s majority of that fit
Their website with a huge chunk of their on-air contact has been out there for some time. The rights situation seems to have some nuance to it.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

I could see Dan and Jake's request being something along the lines of: "You (Cumulus) are doing nothing with our daily audio aside from putting a segment or two on the Top 10. We think there's a market for more. Skim whatever you want for the Top 10, but then let us have the rights to the rest. We'll do all the work to cut the audio, post the podcasts, and monetize it. Surely this is preferable to doing nothing with the audio right?"

And Cumulus just said "Nah we'd rather do nothing with it"
But it might not be a case of monetizing it....but how the listener consumes the content. They have to protect their cash cow (radio advertising). Driving listenership away from the radio is a primary concern for Cumulus.

If it behooves them to let it sit there, so it doesn't cannibalize the radio audience, i can understand their position.

Maybe Cumulus should podcast each show, and extend the same advertising to that audience? maybe so. but that's not something I can see them giving up ownership of.
FTAco07
AG
I could also see the following scenario playing out

D&J: "Pay us $x"
Cumulus: "We can't pay $x, we can only give you $y"
D&J: Fine, pay us $y, but we want the right to do something digital outside Cumulus
Cumulus: "We can't reach an agreement due to D&J wanting digital rights"

In reality, they won't pay what someone else has likely offered or whispered, but are using digital rights as the scape goat when in reality they are just cheap.
Goldie Wilson
mavsfan4ever said:

I subscribe to that website that lets you listen to all shows at any time. It basically records all shows. And I never listen to the radio any more. The digital rights of the show would just give that option to a much larger audience.

I could see D&J having a big issue with this. There's already a third-party paid site that monetizes their full show podcasts. Why couldn't the Ticket or D&J provide this directly and cut out the middle man.
bert harbinson
AG
Dan & Jake to be addressed next segment.
walton91
Corby describing it as an ongoing situation and a new contract can still be worked out. Saying be careful what you read
Spaceship
AG
Reading between the lines…the door's not closed yet, but sounds pretty unlikely. Corby got choked up talking about it.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I could see D&J having a big issue with this. There's already a third-party paid site that monetizes their full show podcasts. Why couldn't the Ticket or D&J provide this directly and cut out the middle man.

Agreed but the website I'm referring to has a very small user base. Even most of the huge P1s on this thread don't know about it. I didn't know about it until a couple years ago.

I'm just pointing out that if the Ticket/Cumulus decided to provide a service like that, then the Ticket/Cumulus would reap the benefits, not D&J. There is no way that Cumulus is going to allow D&J to provide that service and retain all profit from that service when it would take away listeners from the radio station which is currently where Cumulus makes its profit. So even if the Ticket/Cumulus agreed to provide that service, there would be no extra money in D&J's pocket. I don't think they are arguing that they want Cumulus to promote their digital content. They want the money that comes from the digital content. And that's never going to happen imo (perhaps a middle ground would be that they get a very small cut).

Even though the user base of the service I'm referring to is extremely small, that's because they do no marketing and aren't really trying to make a profit. The user base could be fairly large if The Ticket or D&J promoted it. But again, that would take away listeners and profits from the radio station. Plus, Cumulus may think that they will pivot to that service in the future, when radio viewership has dwindled even lower, and if that's the case then that's another reason why they won't give those rights to D&J.

Old School Brother
AG
walton91 said:

Corby describing it as an ongoing situation and a new contract can still be worked out. Saying be careful what you read
Whole bunch of nothing in that segment. "Trust us, you don't know what's going on, nobody does." They may as well have said nothing.

I can see why Corby would cry. If this domino falls, it's likely the beginning of the end of his cash cow.
double aught
AG
Well if they're still negotiating then he can't say anything. So the fact that he said nothing says something. You see what I'm saying?
ac04
to me corby's comments seemed to pretty clearly indicate that the resignation was fake news. or at least not final. which is definitely not nothing.
Old School Brother
AG
Ok, I see what you did there, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
Hincemm
AG
It also said, we're holding our hope but being told "a million times it's not happening."
Old School Brother
AG
ac04 said:

to me corby's comments seemed to pretty clearly indicate that the resignation was fake news. which is definitely not nothing.
I didn't take it that way at all. It probably just means that the resignation was a negotiation tactic and not the end of the negotiation.
TriAg2010
AG
Hey, the SportsDay app says "Hang Zone" now. Neat!
CavitationAG
AG
Corby compared it to Cowboy Zach Martin possibly holding out bc he is not happy with his contract.
Ervin Burrell
AG
I cracked up when Dan called Corby's cell at the beginning of that segment. Has to make a joke out of damned everything, even while holding out.
Rudyjax
AG
ac04 said:

to me corby's comments seemed to pretty clearly indicate that the resignation was fake news. or at least not final. which is definitely not nothing.
I think that's the reason for Bob's tweet.
t - cam
AG
Advertising friend says they've been told to communicate to clients there are still negotiations underway. Not sure if it has legs though.
WC87
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

I cracked up when Dan called Corby's cell at the beginning of that segment. Has to make a joke out of damned everything, even while holding out.
Its a mid-day radio slot for human beings, Dan!
walton91
txag2008
AG
Hah. That has to be in response to this article photo.

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/07/the-ticket-kemp-mcdowell-1310/
AG
walton91 said:

I guess I dont internet hard enough. Whats the reference?
WC87
AG
80085 said:

walton91 said:

I guess I dont internet hard enough. Whats the reference?
Say Anything 80's movie reference. Cusack was playing a song outside a girls house saying he hasn't forgotten or given up on her or something like that.
walton91
In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
J.P. 03
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Hey, the SportsDay app says "Hang Zone" now. Neat!

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's not uncommon to launch the app on Saturday mornings and still see George DiGianni's name on that little schedule they post.

A Cumulus station
Ol Sarge Friday
Old School Brother said:

ac04 said:

to me corby's comments seemed to pretty clearly indicate that the resignation was fake news. which is definitely not nothing.
I didn't take it that way at all. It probably just means that the resignation was a negotiation tactic and not the end of the negotiation.
Agree. The D magazine piece where Jake is a contributor should have accurate information. Again, might have been a ploy but I think the resignation did happen. With Jake and Dan in two very different places in life I wonder how hard it is to maintain a united front between the two of them.
AggieLax06
I missed the segment where Gordo joined sometime between 12-1 and only caught the end of Corby's comments. Seems like not much said by Corby other than they are all still working hard to get something done. What about Gordo? Is there audio available anywhere? Not sure it will be posted to sports day or unticket, or anytime soon.
Ervin Burrell
AG
AggieLax06 said:

I missed the segment where Gordo joined sometime between 12-1 and only caught the end of Corby's comments. Seems like not much said by Corby other than they are all still working hard to get something done. What about Gordo? Is there audio available anywhere? Not sure it will be posted to sports day or unticket, or anytime soon.
If you are talking about Gordo's appearance from yesterday, they didn't discuss the D&J situation with him. Gordo appearing again today would be news to me since I haven't been listening since Corby's announcement.
walton91
Ol Sarge Friday said:

Old School Brother said:

ac04 said:

Agree. The D magazine piece where Jake is a contributor should have accurate information. Again, might have been a ploy but I think the resignation did happen. With Jake and Dan in two very different places in life I wonder how hard it is to maintain a united front between the two of them.

I don't think it would be hard for them to stay united. Dan has been through a dozen contract negotiations, and Jake has a better understanding of podcasting and digital media. Jake probably opened Dan's eyes on possibilities, and Dan probably had a better grasp of navigating contracts with management to get them there. I think the resignation officially started the clock on their non-compete, so it definitely put some heat back on Cumulus
AggieLax06
Oops, I was looking at a tweet from Gordo yesterday saying he was about to be on and thought it was today.
752bro4
AG
Emrich Open updates all weekend
Hincemm
AG
hot dog slinger
Stive
AG
The 8:40 hazing guy was hysterical. Tim Cranklevageen
Hincemm
AG
hang zone promo at 1210 (promoting see you next tuesday...).

guessing not unintentional.
First Page Last Page
Page 488 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.