Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,240,585 Views | 19951 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by mavsfan4ever
LeagueCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fake Jerry this morning was hilarious. One of the better ones they've done in a while.
Stive
AG
jdot said:

Fake Jerry this morning was hilarious. One of the better ones they've done in a while.

Yeah it was really solid.
Chewy
AG
I would love to watch a behind the scenes on creating and performing that one. Just when I thought Jerry was done he kept going.

My favorite line was, "You don't have to worry about VD because I've got ED."

Genius.
bthotugigem05
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

I hope someone coordinates a sendoff party for Corby. The Greyhound station at 1:00am sounds like a great place to be
I'm sure there will be P1s at almost every stop. It's going to be great.
bthotugigem05
AG
And I couldn't agree more, the junk for joy jingle is ear herpes
Hincemm
AG
Listening to the doctor of a parent from rockwall heath on her sons health from their workout. Hope the hang zone understands the credibility of this interview…
Coates
Hincemm said:

Listening to the doctor of a parent from rockwall heath on her sons health from their workout. Hope the hang zone understands the credibility of this interview…

Just listened, was what she said BS? She said her son was in the hospital for nearly a week. Obviously an upset parent, but she's a doctor and knew what she was talking about.
Hincemm
AG
for those that didn't listen or care:

a. She's a kid's parent. Automatic bias.
b. "These kids don't drink, don't do drugs" these football players might be the only ones in north Texas that don't drink or do drugs.
c. "They don't even do things like this is in the military" (~400 pushups in an hour). Um…I have to do 50+ pushups in <2 minutes for my pt test. So 400 in an hour doesn't seem excessive…but I digress.
d. The assumption that if one kid gets it (rhabdo), then everyone can get is silly. You see rhabdo a lot in triathlon, but it's not common by any stretch.
e. Her kid had a wrist injury, and he was doing up/downs with pushups (I think). Not very smart of her to even let him go to practice in the offseason.
f. "None of these kids have pre-existing conditions." Another big assumption, and an irresponsible one from a doctor
g. "I'm a very private person" …which is why she's doing a media tour

Not excusing the coach - and the lack of a water break is inexcusable but to say the interview was one-sided is an understatement.
double aught
AG
Not sure why you're so dismissive of her. Of course she has some bias, but she came across as reasonable.
Yesterday
AG
Was there two kids involved or in the hospital? I watched the segment on the news last night and I though they said "mom's" when referring to the kid but couldn't tell if they were same sex parents or two different moms? Not that I care but was confused if there were two kids in the hospital.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I saw a portion of that and it was 2 different kids. But sounds like over a dozen have been hospitalized, and 15-19 overall needing medical treatment
Robert C. Christian
AG

Quote:

e. Her kid had a wrist injury, and he was doing up/downs with pushups (I think). Not very smart of her to even let him go to practice in the offseason.
Well, that is a no win situation. If he doesn't go, it shows how weak kids are today. If he does go, it wasn't a smart thing to do.

Quote:

I didn't listen, is one show a media tour? Is she hitting up the local news stations too? I really don't know.
Yesterday
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I saw a portion of that and it was 2 different kids. But sounds like over a dozen have been hospitalized, and 15-19 overall needing medical treatment

Ok thanks! Damn. Didn't realize it was that widespread
Stive
AG
Yesterday said:

Was there two kids involved or in the hospital? I watched the segment on the news last night and I though they said "mom's" when referring to the kid but couldn't tell if they were same sex parents or two different moms? Not that I care but was confused if there were two kids in the hospital.

There are supposedly multiple kids that required hospitalization. Not sure if that means 2 or 10, but from the original story until now I've always heard it was more than one.

That's the part that, to me, gives the story some credibility that the coach was doing something odd. Rhabdo situations happen. They can happen to good athletes, athletes that have been training for something, people that are new to working out, people in shape, people out of shape, etc. It's not super common but it's not uncommon. My 30 year old assistant spent two days in the hospital with it a few years back. But the idea that more than one kid would get it in connection with a small window of workouts during off-season at a high school makes the radar go up. One kid…meh it happens. More than one in the same day or small number of days….somethings likely not right.
Hincemm
AG
double aught said:

Not sure why you're so dismissive of her. Of course she has some bias, but she came across as reasonable.
i'm not dismissive, per se. just think her perspective is quite skewed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Somebody on the premium board apparently knows a parent whose kid was hospitalized for 4 days and this parent said a dozen hospitalized. WFAA is saying 15-19 receiving treatment, which with rhabdo, a good chunk of them being hospitalized for some amount of time would be reasonable
Hincemm
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Quote:

I didn't listen, is one show a media tour? Is she hitting up the local news stations too? I really don't know.
that actually came from dan and jake. jake (i think) said something to the effect of "you've been doing a lot of interviews on tv/radio."

at the end of the day, i think it was just terribly one-sided. not calling bullsh, but she (obviously and for good reason) has a dog in the fight.
Stive
AG
And for those saying 400 push-ups in one hour is nothing, I'd bet there aren't very many high school athletes that could do 400 in an hour.

If they could do a burnout set, I'm guessing most can't get to 60 but the top guys might push 90-100. Now have them wait 15 minutes and do another burn out set. Maybe 60 again? But probably in the 40'ish range. Then repeat in 15 minute increments to finish out the hour and I'd be surprised if they get to 200 total. MAYBE some of the better endurance guys or really light weight kids could get to 250'ish or 300 but 400 push-ups in an hour is a tall ask for people that haven't been training for that particular exercise.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Per WFAA, coach was making them do 16 pushups for every mistake in 60 minute training session (16 games to win state). Many mistake counts numbered in the 20s. Lots of the kids hurt were apparently younger - fish and sophs who would still be mid puberty. A lot of stress on undeveloped muscles coming off Christmas break

Basic meatheaded coach idiocy
agchino
AG
The doctor mother was on WFAA's 10pm newscast last night talking about it along with one of the other mothers, unless there is more than 1 doctor mother talking to the media.
Hincemm
AG
fwiw...from the team captain (defending the coach) and saying many of the parents' claims (i.e., water) are not true.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/team-captain-defends-rockwall-heath-texas-football-coach-some-players-ill-hospitalized/287-cce043a4-b680-4efb-b00c-a1c8e0d382c8
Coates
Hincemm said:

fwiw...from the team captain (defending the coach) and saying many of the parents' claims (i.e., water) are not true.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/team-captain-defends-rockwall-heath-texas-football-coach-some-players-ill-hospitalized/287-cce043a4-b680-4efb-b00c-a1c8e0d382c8

Her kid was in the hospital for nearly a week, not sure how a parent is supposed to react, but I'd be furious. And if I were a doctor you'd bet I'd use my credibility to get the word out.

You are believing the football team captain, who is obviously biased, vs a parent and doctor. Seems odd to me, but to each his own.
Hincemm
AG
i'm not 'believing' either. like many cases, i think the truth will be somewhere in the middle.
Coates
Hincemm said:

i'm not 'believing' either. like many cases, i think the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

You don't believe her kid was in the hospital for 6 days? Or that another one was on dialysis?
Hincemm
AG
Coates said:

Hincemm said:

You don't believe her kid was in the hospital for 6 days? Or that another one was on dialysis?
i believe that. i don't believe that 15 kids had rhabdo.
DannyDuberstein
AG
"In the middle" in this case is likely a solid dozen, which still makes the coach a ****ing idiot
TheEternalPessimist
sherminator said:

Go back to your safe space at F16 we are fine here without you.
Hilarious calling F16 a 'safe space'.
TheEternalPessimist
WC87 said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Hincemm said:

you know it's a slow sports day when bob is rt clay travis-related material...

I just heard Bob's brilliant economic take on minimum wage recently. He should probably sit out on all political talk for the foreseeable future.

Exactly. Those idiots would run a small business into the ground. I'm not a Clay fanboy, but he built a podcast/website into an empire.
Bob Sturm does liberal Keynesian economic theory now? This is rich.
TheEternalPessimist
Chuck Cunningham said:

sherminator said:

Go back to your safe space at F16 we are fine here without you.

Lol.

Damn proud of that %.

And I did it all without ANY sock puppets too!
double aught
AG
Hincemm said:

Robert C. Christian said:

Quote:

that actually came from dan and jake. jake (i think) said something to the effect of "you've been doing a lot of interviews on tv/radio."

at the end of the day, i think it was just terribly one-sided. not calling bullsh, but she (obviously and for good reason) has a dog in the fight.
She didn't call for the coaches head, said you can love him but still think this was a mistake. She presented a very factual account (unless she was just flat out lying about things that are fairly easy to substantiate) and, according to her, primarily wants to educate people.

When I started listening I was prepared for a very one sided account, but that's not what I heard. For being the mother of a kid who ended up in the hospital, she was remarkably reasonable.
Hincemm
AG
whew...thanks for those 3 posts. got me off the hook.
Coates
Hincemm said:

Coates said:

Hincemm said:

i believe that. i don't believe that 15 kids had rhabdo.

University of Iowa football team had 12 or 13 kids hospitalized about 10 years ago from rhabdo, so its not that far fetched.
bthotugigem05
AG
Rhabdo happens in a very narrow band of cases. Those cases are often VERY similar to what occurred here (repetitive movements past burnout with little hydration, especially after an extended break from physical activity like, oh I don't know, Christmas break).

I don't believe that the coach set out to injure those kids but was just being stupid and wanted to "be tough" after the holiday break.

And I don't care if a highly select group of people are capable of doing that many push-ups in an hour (most aren't, by the way), that's nowhere near any reasonable amount of acceptability for a high school football conditioning program, especially after a holiday break.
Hincemm
AG
About that James Patterson interview.
bert harbinson
AG
The out of nowhere "shut up" was reminiscent of Rhyner & Stevie Wonder.
First Page Last Page
Page 455 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.