Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,243,895 Views | 19967 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by double aught
Maroon Elephant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bpaggie01 said:

The Freak is killing it. It's now The Musers and then over to TF for the rest of the day for me. Donovan is great but I can't listen to Norm. Dan is okay and I like Bob but the rest of the hosts can go f themselves, especially Jake and Corby.

All these minor lineup changes at The Ticket tells me they're worried that they finally have a real competitor. They're also worried about their best talent being poached away.
TV Casualty
AG
Corby and Danny would routinely poke fun at republicans. Often putting on a fake dumb redneck voice while doing so. They rarely if ever make fun of the democrats. When they have a semi-serious conversation about politics it's usually revolves around them expressing how conservatives are wrong on most issues.

Of course they don't really understand the issues, but it doesn't stop them from coming down strongly on one side while mocking the other.

Bob has gone from a guy who completely stayed out of politics to a guy who routinely calls out Fox News while simultaneously buying everything CNN pumps out. Trump broke Bob's brain with the way he talked about the border. This seemed to lead Bob into the politics of Twitter and it's affecting him.

Jake is very condescending towards anything conservative so there is no balance there. George got all twisted up with fracking, but it also seems like someone on high told him to get with the message.

That's the thing with the ticket these days. It feels like every show is told what to say when it comes to the current political topics as they hit the news. In the past they would go out of their way to say "these things are a bit out of my depths" and then they would try to make a case from both sides. Now they just go ahead and weigh in on one side while acting like they actually know something.

The ticket made a name for itself by putting these personalities on the air and largely letting them discuss how they wanted to. Now, it seems like on certain topics someone in management is telling them what position they should take on a topic.
Maroon Elephant
AG
They were all told to pump the Covid vax and piss on anyone who refused it. The station almost became unlistenable during that time.
TexasAggie008
AG
Maroon Elephant said:

They were all told to pump the Covid vax and piss on anyone who refused it. The station almost became unlistenable during that time.

Yep

And as violently pro-mask as a station could possibly be
zag213004
AG
That's part of what draws me to Gordo. He recognizes both sides have extremes and mocks both and draws attention the hypocrisy of both. If anything, he (I'm sorry the humanoid that identifies it's self as male) pokes more fun of the extreme political correctness of the left
TV Casualty
AG
zwhag2010 said:

That's part of what draws me to Gordo. He recognizes both sides have extremes and mocks both and draws attention the hypocrisy of both. If anything, he (I'm sorry the humanoid that identifies it's self as male) pokes more fun of the extreme political correctness of the left

Yeah, he is one guy left who will do that. Even when they start to talk a bit more seriously on something he will try to bring on the other side. Usually, it gets drowned out and he kind of backs down. At least the musers try with Gordo taking an opposite position.
True Anomaly
AG
zwhag2010 said:

So Gordo got a pass on the decree from management to talk up liberal talking points, but none of the other hosts did?

So how do these memos get distributed? Via email? staff meeting? Public flogging for those who don't toe the liberal line?

If you look for a conspiracy, you'll find one.

The station just attracts more left-leaning folks to be on air. It isn't more complex than that
AgGrad99
AG
zwhag2010 said:

He makes me laugh when he randomly pokes fun at 'long covid', because he knows it makes Dan mad.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

The station just attracts more left-leaning folks to be on air. It isn't more complex than that
I think folks who follow a career path working in radio (outside of political talk) are going to be more left leaning. I would expect that they generally have less education and lower interest in information on topics that are construed as political.
GarlandAg2012
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Quote:

I think folks who follow a career path working in radio (outside of political talk) are going to be more left leaning. I would expect that they generally have less education and lower interest in information on topics that are construed as political.

You think being politically liberal is associated with lower levels of education?
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Ervin Burrell
AG
True Anomaly said:

zwhag2010 said:

So Gordo got a pass on the decree from management to talk up liberal talking points, but none of the other hosts did?

So how do these memos get distributed? Via email? staff meeting? Public flogging for those who don't toe the liberal line?

This. The same folks who scream "lame stream, liberal ass media!"…are flabbergasted that a media station is full of left-leaning folks. It's not f'ing rocket science.
TV Casualty
AG
True Anomaly said:

zwhag2010 said:

The station definitely used to handle political discussions differently. I think Tump and social media have pushed the hosts to a more liberal position.

I don't think that management is sending out liberal taking points that they must push on the audience. I do believe that station management is at times setting an overall station position on certain topics. The host are given leeway to discuss the issue, but it still has to be in the frame work of the position the station is taking. Covid is probably a good example of that.

It's clear that management doesn't slap anyones hand for mocking republicans. When you consider how much comedy gold there is to mine from the left, it's kind of odd that you don't hear them mocking them much. I think basically the hosts and management are in an echo chamber at this point so what gets funneled to them is more often the ridiculous things from the right rather than the left.

I also think there is some concern about social media blow back if they started poking fun at the left more.
MW03
AG
When it comes to those who make it a point to bag on conservatives, I think most people fit into one of these categories:

The Cool Kids
These are mostly true believers who think if you're conservative, you're out of date with current culture and you should be ripped for it. These people are prone to associate conservatives with racists, misogynists, conspiracy theorists and believe conservatives are backwards and unintelligent. They feel good about themselves because they think the same way the really, really cool kids think (i.e., Hollywood, media personalities, popular politicians, etc.).

The Near Cool Kids
These ambitious folks probably don't care one way or the other about most of this stuff, but making fun of conservatives gets them the approval of the Cool Kids. That's really the most important thing to them because it may increase their opportunities. Many in this group also probably enjoy counting their likes and retweets on twitter. Approval, above all else.

The Closeted
These are conservative minded people that don't want to be branded by the Cool Kids as conservative, and therefore be associated with the racists, misogynists, idiots, and conspiracy theorists that the Cool Kids attribute to all conservatives. They have learned that if they make fun of conservatives they usually won't catch as much shrapnel and can generally get along without much risk of being called out, or worse, cancelled.

The Converted
These are conservative minded people who probably remain pretty conservative, but the associations reinforced by the Cool Kids and the Near Cool Kids have started to make them question whether they themselves want to actually be conservative.

And then there is another, more rare group. The Black Sheep.
The Black Sheep cares most about the reaction. Whether that's making someone think (the intellectual), making someone laugh (the comedian), getting under someone's skin (the pest), etc. The Black Sheep is one most likely to make fun of both conservatives and liberals if it suits their purpose.

Now keep in mind that there far more people out there who are conservative or liberal who don't make it a point to make fun of anyone.
double aught
AG
Quality broadcasting today and you guys are bogging down on this stuff.
walton91
There sure is a lot of political talk on the thread where people come to complain about the Ticket talking politics
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
The station (Gordo and Hangzone specifically) absolutely makes fun of Biden and his misspeaks, falling of the bike, etc. Last week they played the audio of Biden asking if that congresswoman was at the banquet (I don't know her name because I'd rather take a stick in the eye than follow politics that closely). Well turns out, she died a few months earlier.

Just this morning they made fun of Biden getting caught on a hot mic down in Florida.

They play that "god love ya" drop from when he asked that handicapped person to stand almost as much as they play the "nah-zees" drop.

Political beliefs aside, Trump said funny things, in a funny voice, in a funny manner of speaking, so of course they're going to play those clips.... because they're funny.

Sure - they poke fun at the right more than the left, but to say they don't take jabs at Biden / the left is simply not true.

Long story short - both sides suck and I think P1 Jan said it best: I pledge allegiance to the flag of united stas of america, from wince it was, and where it come, under uh knowledge of under the nation, one flag under all, for god and government for all.
Ervin Burrell
AG
I find it funny people are complaining about political correctness as I listen to Dan minimize the pain/physical toll of childbirth, and then dump on the women's empowerment movement in a span of about five minutes.

And then Jake says "sup ho" to his super pregnant wife as they call her on air.

All super woke/progressive stuff, right?

To echo Bob Loblaws post above, confirmation bias is a real thing and people will hear what they want to hear and ignore/disregard everything else that doesn't fit their worldview.
AgGrad99
AG
#girldad
Bones08
AG
I'm sorry, so much political talk on this thread but I can't get over Fentanyl Barney.
Chewy
AG
Was this morning the first we learned Gordo sort of interviewed for the voice of Barney?

I know someone who would have put that on their bragging montage some time ago.
FTAco07
AG
Our Aggie leader Bob is joining Jake in taking Alabama -24 as his triple play this weekend. It's a sad day when our only Ticket supporter has to acknowledge the cold reality our an inept and nonsensical offense.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Jub declared he's taking the bus back to Dallas from Phoenix also if he finishes last in picks with friends. Jub is the best.
ftworthag02
AG
this is greatness!
Legal Custodian
AG
ftworthag02 said:

this is greatness!
Those two ladies sound fun
The Pilot
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Jub declared he's taking the bus back to Dallas from Phoenix also if he finishes last in picks with friends. Jub is the best.
Best case scenario is that both Jake and JubJub finish tied for last.
mavsfan4ever
AG
He's doubled down before and then backed out. So him saying that doesn't mean much.
FincAg
AG
Gentlemanly decorum for married men is very real
agcraigb
AG
Where in Parker county was hang zone?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Parker County Ice House
ftworthag02
AG
Gordo on the hardline. Think they're trying too hard.
Chewy
AG
Don't burn Gordo out on too many segments!!!

We need him fresh ever morning from 6:15ish to 9:35ish!!!!
dcAg
Den & Skin have never been fired.
Sirois was offered producer position for the hardline but wouldnt get a raise.
The Ticket is a weekly repeat of the shows for the previous 5 years.
Jake is an a$$.
The Ticket formula was: 1 sports guy; 1 "funny" guy; 1 guy in between. That went to hell in a handbasket!
walton91
Seems like I always roll my eyes when I hear they are going to talk to Switzer, but then love every second listening to that guy. Talking about making $26k his first 3 years at Oklahoma, Switzer says they should pay reparations to football coaches from the 70s
hoosier-daddy
they can't do fake jerry talking to real barry
FTAco07
AG
That was definitely the best Switzer interview ever! He thought it was really Jerry for a second then thought it was the best impersonator ever
First Page Last Page
Page 433 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.