Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,243,927 Views | 19967 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by double aught
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legal Custodian said:

The first segment is Rhyner and Sirois talking about Tom Petty and Petty Theft
Not even Sirois could get me to listen to that.
sixiron
AG
Ticket Show Swap!
Ervin Burrell
AG
sixiron said:

Ticket Show Swap!
Total coincidence this is debuting today, right?
Legal Custodian
AG
As much as I figured/hoped this was going to be a sports station, it's just not. Sirois teased that they're gonna explain what this station is going to be about in the next segment.

But on all their twitter accounts and what they've said so far, I think I can say this will not be a sports station. It might be a segment here or there, but this won't be a sports station. We'll see if they say something different next segment. I'll let y'all know what their format will be when they talk about it.
Legal Custodian
AG
Julie just did their version of a ticker
sixiron
AG
I had a feeling they were going to have a few twists when they announced last week about Gordon's weekly Hangzone appearances.
Legal Custodian
AG
Just confirmed this isn't going to be a sports station. Sirois just said "This isn't a sports station, this is a fun station. We might talk sports, we won't."

Rhyner said, "We have freedom to talk about whatever we want without fear of retribution from a program director."
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Rhyner said, "We have freedom to talk about whatever we want without fear of retribution from a program director."
Exactly what DFW has been missing, more Tom Petty and Steely Dan talk.
The Pilot
AG
And want sports and tomfoolery not tomfoolery with a little sports.
AgGrad99
AG
I mean...isnt that what the Ticket has been forever, and what made it so successful? It's just guy talk.
ftworthag02
AG
Mike just said Cooper is better than Dak
MW03
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/10/03/the-way-mike-rhyner-has-returned-to-dallas-radio-leaves-this-ticket-p1-awfully-conflicted/

Quote:

When I talked with Mike the day before The Freak's launch, I asked how he squares building a station on listener loyalty and then competing against his former partners for those same listeners.

"I don't have a real good answer for that right now," he said. "I realize I'm gonna have to square it in some way."
Quote:

Ticket program director Jeff Catlin told me he was as shocked as anyone when he first heard the rumors several weeks ago.

"I didn't believe it. And now I am really sad about it," he said. "Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air."

Jeff doesn't understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his plans.

"I didn't think it was their business," Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn't a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been "minimized and marginalized" by almost everyone at the station.

Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

"Mike was universally loved at The Ticket," Corby told me. "We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August."

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. "He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It's heartbreaking and unconscionable."

thriller03
AG
I need sports with other stuff mixed in, not the other way. I don't get to watch every game of every team...and I don't care about national talk shows (XM ESPNU during football season is the exception). If 97.1 is stuff with sports mixed in, it won't hold me...but that's just me.

Sports as the primary keeps me involved with the teams I root for/follow when I can't catch every game.
Legal Custodian
AG
thriller03 said:

I need sports with other stuff mixed in, not the other way. I don't get to watch every game of every team...and I don't care about national talk shows (XM ESPNU during football season is the exception). If 97.1 is stuff with sports mixed in, it won't hold me...but that's just me.

Sports as the primary keeps me involved with the teams I root for/follow when I can't catch every game.

I completely agree. Was disappointed it's not going to be sports-centric
Rudyjax
AG
I"m old, but i don't want to hear guy talk from 70 year old Rhyner.
ftworthag02
AG
same here. I want majority to be sports w/ the other stuff mixed in
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
MW03 said:

Mike said sticking it to The Ticket or to owner Cumulus Media wasn't a motivator. But he followed up with the contention that he had been "minimized and marginalized" by almost everyone at the station.

Maybe the guys were saying different things off the air, but I'm not sure how he could feel this way based on on-air comments. Anytime his name was brought up, it was quickly followed by "father of the ticket" or something similar.
Bones08
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Mike just said Cooper is better than Dak
Wait until Mavs season starts later this month and you hear some of his Luka takes. They are…something.
Hincemm
AG
MW03 said:

Quote:

Corby said he and his colleagues believed Mike would always be the face and heartbeat of The Ticket. "He chose otherwise, and destroyed relationships that had been in existence for 30 years. It's heartbreaking and unconscionable."

most corby response ever. wtds is over and so is my listening to the HL for today
DannyDuberstein
AG
Corby owes his radio existence to him. He is selling State Farm insurance without him. Ease up.
beagle2009
AG
Apparently Mike and Sirois have a $100 bet on who first misidentifies The Freak as "the T word" on air.
MaroonDontRun
AG
MW03 said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2022/10/03/the-way-mike-rhyner-has-returned-to-dallas-radio-leaves-this-ticket-p1-awfully-conflicted/

Quote:

When I talked with Mike the day before The Freak's launch, I asked how he squares building a station on listener loyalty and then competing against his former partners for those same listeners.

"I don't have a real good answer for that right now," he said. "I realize I'm gonna have to square it in some way."
Quote:

Ticket program director Jeff Catlin told me he was as shocked as anyone when he first heard the rumors several weeks ago.

"I didn't believe it. And now I am really sad about it," he said. "Mike has a home on The Ticket for life, but he never contacted me about having the itch to get back on air."

Jeff doesn't understand why Mike never reached out to anyone at The Ticket about his plans.

"I didn't think it was their business," Mike told me when I asked why his longtime Ticket colleagues learned only through the grapevine of his plans to return.

Corby Davidson, who still works in the prestigious drive-time hours that he shared with Mike from January 2000 to his retirement 20 years later, said he has no idea what his former Hardline co-host means about being minimized.

"Mike was universally loved at The Ticket," Corby told me. "We hoisted him on our shoulders in retirement. We invited him to all our events. We had him on all our shows, as recently as August."

I seem to remember Corby and Danny subtly taking shots at Mike periodically after retirement which I think gives away their attitude towards Mike. I think the nicname Snake is probably more appropriate than we realize.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Hincemm said:

MW03 said:

Quote:

most corby response ever. wtds is over and so is my listening to the HL for today

Unconscionable: without a conscience; unscrupulous; so unfair or unjust that it shocks the conscience

That is just ridiculous. Add it to the list of stupid takes Corby has had over the years.
bert harbinson
AG
Corby is a vocabulary parrot who sat on Rhyner's shoulder for two decades.
BoomGoesThe
How dare Rhyner decide he wants to do something new? Giving all of those guys their start and long, lucrative careers as hosts on big market radio (minus Norm) is not enough. If he really cared about Corby he would stay in his high rise condo, so the Snake could keep coasting all the way to retirement. Not really breaking news, just further proof that Corby is a huge baby.
TV Casualty
AG
Rhyner seemed to be checked out over the last 5 or so years on the ticket. It also seemed like as Corby and Danny would kind of team up on him and shout him down at times.

It always seemed odd that Danny was being on air as much as he was. Was that to make up for Rhyner checking out or was he trying to replace him.
FTAco07
AG
Strong counter move by The Ticket to add this "show swap" to try and fight off the new competition. I wonder how that works contractually with all the hosts that are adding a few hours to their day.

The best part about The Ticket has always been times when the hosts of different shows are all interacting.
752bro4
AG
FTAco07 said:

Strong counter move by The Ticket to add this "show swap" to try and fight off the new competition. I wonder how that works contractually with all the hosts that are adding a few hours to their day.

The best part about The Ticket has always been times when the hosts of different shows are all interacting.

Agreed - some of the best ticket segments are multi-show hosts together…WTDS, picks with friends, afternoon Jub, when Bob is on Musers with actual
Sports talk, Campound, round tables, etc… just leave Norm out of this and hope Mary is too busy to drive him
down to the station and wheel him in.
MW03
AG
I think I'm with Corby on this one. I wish we had access to the old thread, but my recollection was that he didn't really tell anyone he was dipping out.

On Dec 10, his last day, he orchestrated an elaborate set of return cuts about leaving.

On Jan 6, it gets announced on the station.
https://www.theunticket.com/mike-rhyner-retires-from-the-ticket/

If you cut to the 23 min mark of item #1, you can hear Corby pick up the Hardline for the first time post-Mike with all the Musers in tow. Corby laughs that they had it all planned out, but that Mike dropped the youtube announcement before the show started:

He says he sat on it because he didn't want to make a big deal about it.

At about 38 mins into the segment, while they are going on and on about how great he is, Danny comments "and in true Mike Rhyner fashion, his showmates learned about his decision less than a week ago"

They spent the entire next day across all the shows talking about how great he was.

Over the next couple of years, it seemed like the bad blood was already there. I recall that Mike was on The Fan or something, and when folks asked why he wasn't on the Ticket doing guest appearances, it was basically "They didn't ask me" or something like that.

So he quits without telling his teammates he's quitting. And now he starts a new station competing against them without even reaching out to say "hey, this is what i'm doing." I get it that he doesn't actually owe them anything, that he built it all from the beginning, etc.

But you only don't owe them anything if you don't value 30 years of "friendships" or "partnerships." And maybe he doesn't, and that's fine, but I can understand why people who loved him and looked up to him for that long feel salty about it.
Bones08
AG
-Mike has the right to do what he wants.
-What Mike wants to do (and how he wants to do it) isn't free of consequence.
-Corby and others have the right to be mad at how Mike went about this.
-Corby's quote was a bit extreme though.
Old School Brother
AG
Bones08 said:

All correct. If Corby had said something like "Mike has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I wish him the best," people might be talking about how it's a crappy move on Rhyner's part. Now most people are probably thinking more about what a baby Corby is.
MW03
AG
Old School Brother said:

Bones08 said:

All correct. If Corby had said something like "Mike has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I wish him the best," people might be talking about how it's a crappy move on Rhyner's part. Now most people are probably thinking more about what a baby Corby is.

Agreed. Kind of reads like the way A&M formally responded to the news that Texas/OU were coming to the SEC.
double aught
AG
True Anomaly said:

I don't see how the Fan survives much longer
I've been thinking this for years. I was surprised they outlasted ESPN.
Just Tired
powerbelly said:

It is a little ****ty to retire and then complete head to head with your old station.

i can't blame a guy for getting tired of working with corby and danny.

retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people. i seriously doubt this was his plan when he left the station.

with the ags having a crappy season my interest in listening to jake and corby/danny clown on the ags has cut back my listening accordingly. Gordo segments in the morning and the HL open and 1:30 news were it today. free usaveit account makes it possible without wading through a bunch of crap to get to it. was excited about bob being an ag defender but what is there to defend at this point?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Freak is LIVE... and it has streaming on TuneIn so I'm listening on my SONOS as we speak.

Hearing Rhynes' voice on the radio is great.
First Page Last Page
Page 428 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.