Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,243,621 Views | 19965 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by VP at Pierce and Pierce
Just Tired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cooper rush is a mahracle.
Rudyjax
AG
Legal Custodian
AG
I don't know about that quote, but it looks like Julie has been tweeting Tom Petty lyrics the past couple of days.

97.1 The Freak also has a twitter account now and announced that Ben & Skin is 11-3. Don't know if that's today or even if that twitter account is legit. Figured I'd pass it along any way.
Legal Custodian
AG
Rudyjax
AG
This weekend they were playing 4 songs on repeat with Freak.

Right now they're playing Petty, The Waiting. Not sure if a loop.
Goldie Wilson
Goldie Wilson
Really hoping Mike and Mike get a 3rd host. Julie would be great or Donovan whenever he frees up from Cumulus
Rudyjax
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

This weekend they were playing 4 songs on repeat with Freak.

Right now they're playing Petty, The Waiting. Not sure if a loop.

Definitely on repeat.
aggiechick
I accidentally listened to The Waiting on repeat on my way home today. I was zoned out and kept thinking "this song has gone on for a long time!". I'm dumb.
Rudyjax
AG
aggiechick said:

I accidentally listened to The Waiting on repeat on my way home today. I was zoned out and kept thinking "this song has gone on for a long time!". I'm dumb.
I must be high!
showtime
AG
This whole "Freak v. Ticket" bit has got me wondering over the last few days - and has brought up some questions - and answering them sort of depends on how one views The Ticket - as the folks who comprise it or as a corporate entity.

If all this vitriol is aimed toward Cumulus, understandable. But I would find it hard to separate The Ticket, Inc, from the hosts/producers/others who make it up. I hated Sirois leaving, but don't think there's any way he has the capacity to host four hours a day, five days a week. For that matter, I don't think Rhynes has a bag that size anymore. Been a P1 since 2010 or thereabouts, so I never knew the Hardline in its original iteration. Have disliked Corby since the first time I heard him. So I find it plausible that Rhynes was just beaten down by that schtick over a number of years. But I find it hard to believe that, after a few years of mailing it in and a few years of retirement, he's going to be able to put out four hours of content five days a week.

I am not familiar enough with the non-Ticket folks to know what they bring to the table. I have listened only intermittently over the years and didn't find them any different than generic Guy Sports.
Old School Brother
AG
I think you'd be surprised what a motivated Sirois can do.
Hincemm
AG
Old School Brother said:

I think you'd be surprised what a motivated Sirois can do.
yup. and Cavanaugh
showtime
AG
I would be surprised, and pleasantly so. Would love to hear a re-invigorated Mike and Mike. Where I am torn is that Bob is one of my leaders, even moreso since he became Aggie Bob. Cat screwed up pairing Corby with Sturm. Two plus years in and the lack of chemistry is still cringeworthy. I feel like Bob has brought some accountability to the show and has adapted a little but he can't change his personality. Corby, oblivious as ever, has just corbied right on.
hoosier-daddy
What is Cavanaugh's story? never heard of him
thriller03
AG
Been a P1 since 2004, but not locked in all day like I was the first 10 years or so. Random unsolicited thoughts...

• I'm a 1310 guy, but it's the crew and not the brand. I think a lot of them still have the bunker mentality of "they all thought we'd fail." Musers, Bob, Dan for sure (and I know Bob and Dan weren't day 1 guys, but I think they bought in)
  • The Musers are still the best. A little tired sometimes, and sure their sports points are a little soft and generic, but when they get rolling, there's nobody like them.
  • Norm is what he is...in my days of listening all day every day, I listened because I didn't change the channel. I was paid off with the occasional Norm outburst at a caller. I have to think some folks will switch over for at least this 2 hour window to catch the back end of the 7-11 show and the first hour of B&S.
  • Bob and Dan were great. I like the Hangzone, but I think Dan and Jake both work tirelessly (much like Bob and Dan did), they both want to talk sports, and Jake spends a lot of time researching what he's talking about IMO.
  • Hardline peaks with WTDS every day. Bob is great, but he's carrying a lot. I do like Davey, always have. I think he feels like this his chance to live his dream out, and he doesn't want to screw it up.
  • I remember B&S as a weekend show and I loved them. They were pretty good during the weeks on 1310 they would cover vacation. I've never been able to do their show every day though. They are so high energy, and that's cool, but it can become a lot in my opinion (and like I said, I like what they do, just not all the time).
  • Like showtime said, Bob's kind of my leader, but I'm interested in what Rhyner will have in terms of energy and motivation. Motivated Mike trying to topple the empire he built could be amazing. (He may also know he's the guy bringing credibility to this whole idea, and all of the former KTCK guys that are part of it are counting on him to carry it some. Not sure if that pressure will keep him engaged or wear him out.

All that said, I'm interested, and I'll tune in. Already trying to figure out how to be tuned in at 3pm while also listening to WTDS to see what jokes are made (if any). Competition isn't bad, but there's also a reason some of these guys never got their chance at KTCK. (Some of those reasons might be stubborn radio hall of famers, but some of them are also just not having enough to bring a whole show.)

As an aside: is anybody listening to the Fan? I don't ever tune in and can't even tell you what their program lineup looks like.
True Anomaly
AG
I don't see how the Fan survives much longer
Hincemm
AG
thriller03 said:

Already trying to figure out how to be tuned in at 3pm while also listening to WTDS to see what jokes are made (if any).
if only there an app in DFW that featured sports today

It just might let you rewind back to wtds...up to an hour
thriller03
AG
Yeah, yeah...I know...more trying to figure out if I want to way overdo it and try to do headphones for the app and listen to 97.1 in the car and catch it all real time. Seems like overkill, but cool to live in the moment.

Appreciate the coded message though.
MW03
AG

https://twitter.com/971TheFreak

Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Hincemm said:

thriller03 said:

Already trying to figure out how to be tuned in at 3pm while also listening to WTDS to see what jokes are made (if any).
if only there an app in DFW that featured sports today

It just might let you rewind back to wtds...up to an hour
Speaking of which, any idea if there's something similar for 97.1? I know about the iHeart app, but I'm spoiled now and being able to back up an hour and skip commercials is a must. I'd like to give them a shot, but sitting through commercials seems like a kick in the nuts now.

/first world problems.
Ervin Burrell
AG
MW03 said:

https://twitter.com/971TheFreak

Think I know who everybody is outside of far right and guy in front of Sirois.
Legal Custodian
AG
Here's the link to listen if anyone is interested.

https://www.iheart.com/live/971-the-eagle-2241/?pname=kegl.com&sc=dnsredirect
bert harbinson
AG
Mass exodus during WTDS?
MW03
AG
bert harbinson said:

Mass exodus during WTDS?
?
MW03
AG
Gordon on WTDS might just get me listening to WTDS
Gomer95
AG
Other than subtle promo jabs, has anyone at The Ticket mentioned Rhyner and 97.1 The Freak starting up?
Hincemm
AG
Gomer95 said:

Other than subtle promo jabs, has anyone at The Ticket mentioned Rhyner and 97.1 The Freak starting up?
no...and sincerely doubt they will
Legal Custodian
AG
Rhyner's show from 3-7 is called The Down Beat

His opening monologue went into his departure from the Ticket. Mentioned that he was hearing from his buddy's at the "Mothership" that they felt underpaid and underappreciated. He talked with Ben & Skin and they came up with the idea for The Freak and started talking to those "underappreciated" people.

He said he filled in for Skin during Skin's cancer treatment, and that he heard a lot of people at the Ticket did not appreciate that he did that. He said that's just too bad.
Legal Custodian
AG
The first segment is Rhyner and Sirois talking about Tom Petty and Petty Theft
beagle2009
AG
I'm fascinated by how/if The Ticket responds. Unless I've missed it, I don't think anyone at the station has publicly recognized The Freak, neither on-air nor over Twitter.
powerbelly
AG
It is a little ****ty to retire and then complete head to head with your old station.
MW03
AG
Flips on 97.1

Mike Rhyner is talking about Tom Petty

Rudyjax
AG
Legal Custodian said:

The first segment is Rhyner and Sirois talking about Tom Petty and Petty Theft
Bones08
AG
"THIS SHOW SUCKS!"
First Page Last Page
Page 427 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.