Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,244,716 Views | 19967 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by double aught
Old School Brother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, that midday show is going to be a beating. Julie and Danny are both ok in very small doses, but having them as focal points of a 4 hour show? I don't remember KT enough to know whether I'd like him or not.

I thought it was funny when Danny left that his complaint was that he was being asked for large pizza contribution at small pizza prices.....when I'm pretty sure Ticket management was trying to tell him that they didn't want any more than small pizza contribution. He was a producer who just wouldn't keep his mouth shut. It's obvious now, with the addition of Davey to the Hardline that if they wanted Danny as a 3rd host, they could've paid him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Old School Brother said:

Man, that midday show is going to be a beating. Julie and Danny are both ok in very small doses, but having them as focal points of a 4 hour show? I don't remember KT enough to know whether I'd like him or not.

I thought it was funny when Danny left that his complaint was that he was being asked for large pizza contribution at small pizza prices.....when I'm pretty sure Ticket management was trying to tell him that they didn't want any more than small pizza contribution. He was a producer who just wouldn't keep his mouth shut. It's obvious now, with the addition of Davey to the Hardline that if they wanted Danny as a 3rd host, they could've paid him.
This x 100. Everyone loves Julie, and I did too in small doses, but did anyone listen to her on white elephant when she had more on her plate? It was very bad. And I think she filled in as a host a time or two, also very bad. Danny-level bad. And it just so happens that Danny will be her co-host? So that show is going to be awful.

Jack Ruby
The freak will fail miserably.

This isn't me necessarily saying I want it to, but I give it 6 months tops.

In a weird way I'm hope I'm eating crow a few years from now.
Hincemm
AG
on the danny issue, it sounds like this is how it went down. danny resigns (thus the pizza rhetoric). cat realizes the void it causes, and davey enters the picture. don't think it came to pass that danny was offered the gig davey was but can't be sure. cat may have considered danny 'gone.' nonetheless, danny takes offense, and this gig comes open (at better comp).

i'll give julie a chance. Kevin Turner does not have a bag. He left the ticket as a strong up and comer.

And I give it more than 6 months. they have iheart's backing. If anything, they regret not being able to roll this out to coincide with cowboys season (but it will coincide with start of mavs).
FincAg
AG
So when does someone start the 97.1 The Freak "Show" thread?
Goldie Wilson
Jack Ruby said:

The freak will fail miserably.

This isn't me necessarily saying I want it to, but I give it 6 months tops.

In a weird way I'm hope I'm eating crow a few years from now.
I'll take the over on 6 months, and you can put THAT in 33 inch headlines
powerbelly
AG
Hincemm said:

on the danny issue, it sounds like this is how it went down. danny resigns (thus the pizza rhetoric). cat realizes the void it causes, and davey enters the picture. don't think it came to pass that danny was offered the gig davey was but can't be sure. cat may have considered danny 'gone.' nonetheless, danny takes offense, and this gig comes open (at better comp).

i'll give julie a chance. Kevin Turner does not have a bag. He left the ticket as a strong up and comer.

And I give it more than 6 months. they have iheart's backing. If anything, they regret not being able to roll this out to coincide with cowboys season (but it will coincide with start of mavs).
Agree with this. I think they at least last a year.
Old School Brother
AG
FincAg said:

So when does someone start the 97.1 The Freak "Show" thread?
Ask and ye shall receive.
walton91
Ken Scarborough said:

I don't get it. Rhynes brought a big bag of nothing the last 5 years he was on the ticket. What is he going to bring to a new station?

If this thread is any indication, he's bringing publicity
Rudyjax
AG
walton91 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

I don't get it. Rhynes brought a big bag of nothing the last 5 years he was on the ticket. What is he going to bring to a new station?

If this thread is any indication, he's bringing publicity

That lasts how long?
The Collective
AG
Is iHeart really any different than Cumulus?
The Collective
AG
You guys think Danny got a bump to 40k?
DannyDuberstein
AG
They pay their 20 year board ops $40,000 per year, and their 15 year on air producers $50,000. So iheart is WAY better .
AG
nice little jab spot about Emmit on the Cardinals
Goldie Wilson
What a beating with Peter King, Tim Cowlishaw, AND Dave Raymond on the same day. Does the Freak have an official start date?

ETA good lord and David Moore today too?
MW03
AG
David Moore sounds like Muffin from Mr. Peppermint.
The Collective
AG
MW03 said:

David Moore sounds like Muffin from Mr. Peppermint.

I am glad someone finally connected these dots for me. Now I will never be able to unhear it.
Nagler
AG
The Conrad intro into the O Deck said "everyone else in town is like a cheap cover band".

Shot at Rhyner and Petty Theft?
Bunbury
AG
I'm very interested to see how The Freak tries to distinguish itself from The Ticket since it's all in their DNA. I think their best strategy would be to broadcast naturally, and if that means they sound like a Ticket knock-off, that's fine. But I can see a lot of folks criticizing them for 'trying' to be like the Ticket, but I'd prefer that to an unnatural change that doesn't fit their personalities.
agmag90
I know it's just business/nothing personal, just seems so odd to me that Rhyner would start a new station in direct competition with his old coworkers/friends this late in the game when he could just enjoy retirement. Although I'm sure this was way easier to get off the ground then starting the Ticket was.
The Pilot
AG
Competition helps the listener. Hopefully, both are successful and I'll gladly bounce between the two depending on which shows I prefer.
Ervin Burrell
AG
agmag90 said:

I know it's just business/nothing personal, just seems so odd to me that Rhyner would start a new station in direct competition with his old coworkers/friends this late in the game when he could just enjoy retirement. Although I'm sure this was way easier to get off the ground then starting the Ticket was.
Yeah, Mike struck me as a guy (and he said as much) that when he was out, he was out. Pretty damn surprised he's ending his retirement. Must be bored as hell in that downtown condo.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, i think he got bored, needs the ego stroke, and I think was hoping his podcasts would fill the void. Instead, those podcasts fell on their face
MW03
AG
TexasAggie008
AG
I think for Mike and the former Ticket folks that are involved in this - its more "f Cumulus" than "f the Ticket"

Anyone whose ever worked for a good/great company that is then bought out by a soulless corporation can likely relate to this....
Stive
AG
It's, in all likelihood, boredom.

Retirees suffer from it all the time, especially retirees that have done lots of things and/or a few big things (start and run businesses). He probably wants to see if he can "do the impossible again". They told him/them early on that an all sports station wouldn't work in DFW and he feels like he proved them wrong, or at the very least, was an instrumental cog in proving them wrong. Assuming he likes some/most of the guys at the Ticket, it's not going to be personal, just business, as he tries to prove everyone wrong again and do the impossible by building a second, viable competitor to the number 1 sports station in a top 10 market. Lots of people live for those kinds of challenges.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
They've got Cray Trey?!?! Well that does it, NOW I'm switching over to The Freak.

Who is gonna house sit for Dan now though?
Hincemm
AG
TexasAggie008 said:

I think for Mike and the former Ticket folks that are involved in this - its more "f Cumulus" than "f the Ticket"

Anyone whose ever worked for a good/great company that is then bought out by a soulless corporation can likely relate to this....
iheart is likely just as corporate and soulless as cumulus.

i think it's more 'f cat' than anything. i can decisions wrt sirois, norm, danny, davey, and jer really irking a guy like rhyner who may see that as ruining what he built.
double aught
AG
My wild ass speculation is that Mike will decide that it's too much work or get bored or start half-assing the thing a few months in.
DannyDuberstein
AG
double aught said:

My wild ass speculation is that Mike will decide that it's too much work or get bored or start half-assing the thing a few months in.

I have pretty much no doubt about this. Ideas for a business are fun. Grinding and executing them day in and day out takes a level of energy few 70somethings have, and he's already shown us years of check-out mode
AgGrad99
AG
I could see him helping to get this off the ground and then stepping back.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree, which I expect is the logic behind attaching him to B&S if that's the case
Goldie Wilson
Agreed with this. Attach his name to it to help with awareness of the launch (check), stick around as a full time host for a few months (years? who knows), and then serve as figurehead with a handful of weekly segments and appearances at remotes and station events
Albatross Necklace
Corby complaining about political ads

beagle2009
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

Corby complaining about political ads

There are NOT millions asking about political ads on The Ticket /Norm
First Page Last Page
Page 420 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.