Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,249,776 Views | 19987 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by chupacabra tacos
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mike Sirois is Megan Rapinoe to the Musers' USMNT
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

powerbelly said:

amg405 said:

Just checking to remind everyone how trash the Ticket is now. Radio is dead.

Top 5 sports podcasts are all better every. single. day. than the Ticket.

Try Pardon My Take for a week and tell me it isn't 100% better than the Ticket.
All the barstool stuff is so bad.

I've never listened to any of the barstool stuff so I can't comment on that but for anyone who is not a longtime P1 I would venture to say the ticket is so bad.

Outside of Bob (and Jake specifically talking NBA) the sports talk (or any topic where you have even a passing knowledge of) emanating from the ticket on a daily basis is about the lowest rung imaginable and it's gone sharply downhill the last 2+ years. The one thing they always had going for them from an entertainment standpoint is how non-PC they were. They were funny so you overlooked their glaring shortcomings. Then they all somehow turned into PC principal over the past two years and I sometimes wonder about the super fanboys on this thread that still listen all day, every day and defend the station. Have they ever listened to anything else?

I'll "fanboy" and defend them for a minute. I'm not gonna argue the Ticket is as entertaining as it used to be. I turn it on in the background while I work in the morning. I still enjoy OMG and 8:40 bit and most of Friday morning (scattershooting, e brake, etc.). When 10:00 rolls around I stick around just long enough to see if Norm is there for cross talk. If he is I turn it off. If it was Boom in the House I'd leave it on (stay hard Mike). Usually turn it back on around 12:45 and back the app up to catch cross talk and then fast forward through commercials and WTDS is usually a must listen for me. Based on Bob's run sheet I'll either keep listening or turn it off since I'm about done working for the day and typically don't listen when I'm not working.

Is it as good as it used to be? Of course not, I don't think anybody would say the Ticket in 2022 is better than it was 20 or 10 years ago. But the app lets me tune it out and back up if there's something interesting I missed or fast forward through a segment I don't want to listen to, which there are plenty. Could it be better? Of course. Is it good enough to get 3 or 4 listening hours from me? To me, yeah. What else am I gonna do during the day? Watch a replay of SportsCenter like I did when I was 9?

In short, Musers good, Norm bad, Hangzone good, Hardline 50/50
J.P. 03
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Usually turn it back on around 12:45 and back the app up to catch cross talk and then fast forward through commercials and WTDS is usually a must listen for me.
Not picking on you personally because we all do it, but it's funny to see comments like this in middle of a thread where we're complaining about how those cheapskates at Cumulus can't afford to pay Sirois more than $45k a year.
PatAg
AG
MW03 said:

Been listening to the twitch stream throughout the day, and yall weren't kidding about this being uncomfortable. I think Gordon got a little offended.
Mike didnt help things by getting drunk, and I think Gordon is definitely the type of guy to turn a blind eye to the reality of the people he works with.
One of those situations where he may not have sought the information out, but he definitely knew MIke and others like him were very underpaid. Not really sure what he himself could do, but the station has messed up letting Mike go when they KNOW Norm is already outlasting his welcome.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea it didn't help that Mike was getting drunk bc then Gordon could just play the "well it seems like you are getting a little drunk" card. If Mike wasn't drinking, he likely could have summarized his point a little better.

It did seem like gordo got offended. And I guess I kinda see why bc what Mike was saying made it look like gordo didn't care about is underlings at all. Mike could have phrased it better. I see both sides of it.

But gordo comes across as so fake. Not just in this twitch, but in general. Arguing that he had no idea jer made very little and that he had no idea what her possibly makes is a bad look. Just be honest and say that it's not up to higher paid employees to compensate the lower paid employees if that's your position. Don't put on a fake bull**** front about not knowing producers and board ops get paid Pennies.

And I'm not really even agreeing with Mike. A board op is a very easy job and is easily replaceable so I'm not saying jer should get more money. I just thought gordo came across as looking fake and somewhat bad on that topic. Although drunk Sirois didn't come across looking great either bc he just kept salarying the same thing over and over. I get what he was trying to say, but he didn't articulate it very well.
Nagler
AG
Quote:

Don't put on a fake bull**** front about not knowing producers and board ops get paid Pennies.

Just to play devil's advocate, I think it's believable that Gordo didn't know how much Mike made. Sure he knows it's not near as much as he is making but how much time did Gordo and Mike spend around each other discussing salary. Hell how much time is he spending time with anyone discussing salary.

At the end of the day, it's not the other host's responsibility to negotiate or pay other employees. That's on management. Not one person here would dominate part of their salary to another person they work with just because they think they're not making enough.

Spaceship
AG
George is so butthurt about Mickelson accepting $200 million to go play on the LIV tour. $200 million!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I want Spieth to go to LIV for $199 million
powerbelly
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I want Spieth to go to LIV for $199 million
I don't know if George would survive.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Spaceship said:

George is so butthurt about Mickelson accepting $200 million to go play on the LIV tour. $200 million!

Not surprising. George absolutely hates change.
NukeAg10
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Spaceship said:

Not surprising. George absolutely hates change.

Unless it's the second amendment, and then SoMeThiNG NeEds 2 B DonE.
dcAg
Boomgoesthe,

I was not referring to the twitch feed. I was told the information and yes it was someone that was making a nice salary at the Ticket.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Nagler said:

Quote:

Don't put on a fake bull**** front about not knowing producers and board ops get paid Pennies.

Just to play devil's advocate, I think it's believable that Gordo didn't know how much Mike made. Sure he knows it's not near as much as he is making but how much time did Gordo and Mike spend around each other discussing salary. Hell how much time is he spending time with anyone discussing salary.

At the end of the day, it's not the other host's responsibility to negotiate or pay other employees. That's on management. Not one person here would dominate part of their salary to another person they work with just because they think they're not making enough.

They were talking about Jer. After being on radio for 25+ years and working with the same people, I find it hard to believe Gordon doesn't know the range of what jer and the other low tier guys make. He may not know the exact amount but he knows it's 30-40k. The listeners know that much just from hearing jokes and one liners about the low salaries from time to time. I would've guessed $35k from what everyone has said on air before, and it sounds like it's $37.5k from mike's interview.

He may have thought Sirois was making more than he did because he may have thought he was paid more and bc he doesn't work with Sirois.

And I also agree that it's not on highly compensated employees to pay lower compensated employees (and like I said, $37k sounds about right for a board op). Management has put everyone in a weird spot because there is tier one high salaries and then there is nothing until you get down to the $40k range.
AgGrad99
AG
Maybe Gordon knew, maybe he didnt.

When talking about Jer...he's not underpaid if he can easily be replaced by someone else. Would we notice if he left, and Fred came in to do the same job for the same pay? Likely not.

But Mike made himself more valuable, and brought a lot to the station. He'll be missed.
bthotugigem05
AG
The Ticket is not a typical commercial model for a radio station. On-air hosts at regular radio stations usually get paid crap, just usually a little more than the producers and board ops. Unless you're Kidd Kraddick (RIP) or have a nationally syndicated radio show, you don't go into radio to make money.

The Ticket has numerous award-winning hosts who command enormous salaries and have been there for decades. Their big problem is they also have producers and board ops who have been there for decades. Cumulus has to try to force some sort of salary discipline on Cat. I think that's why the producer openings on their website emphasize that they are no longer on-air roles.

I don't blame Gordo for not knowing what the lower tiers make.
The Collective
AG
Did anyone catch Fernando's jab during the e-brake last week:

'... that's 80 behind Norm "Don't worry P-1s, I'll never retire' Hitzges". Gordon quietly dropped a "wow" in there.
powerbelly
AG
If we've learned anything it is that Norm is the real ******* here.
Chewy
AG
I think Gordo probably had an idea but really felt it's none of his business. The whole Twitch thing was about money. I think that was Gordo's way of getting it out there. He could honestly get in a little trouble with management for discussing people's pay. Gordo gained nothing from doing that.

I was surprised Gordo was clueless about what Mike meant when he said he's reminded every other week. It makes sense because I don't think Gordo is super obsessed with money. I could be wrong but I think Gordo chases things for the challenge rather than the money.

It's already been stated but Danny and Mike's moves was 100% about money. They felt they were underpaid and had to go. It happens in life.
The Collective
AG
The facility I am at is way outside of the central business district (west of FW), and we start our unskilled labor at $16/hour, so $33k/year. Imagine that people like Mike and Danny didn't really make that much more per year than that. It feels crazy.
dave94
AG
They also work a very limited number of hours, though.
Hincemm
AG
one comment from mike that bugged me was the perception that 'norm can do whatever the f he wants' because of his legacy.

i'm not a dfw native, so perhaps i don't have the perspective of others. but i couldn't disagree more.

norm sucks in a nutshell. he doesn't cater to their demo, his ebrakes aren't that funny and are typically a reflection of him just being ignorant (phone on, landscapers, dogs), and i would imagine most out there/on here don't find him entertaining/insightful.

when you work in a world (sports radio) that is constantly being squeezed by podcasts and many other outlets PLUS you're saying goodbye to up and coming talent like sirois, this is quite evident of poor decision making by management in letting some old f hold on.

indeed, norm should NOT be able to do whatever the f he wants. i welcome him to no longer broadcast on the station.
NukeAg10
AG
powerbelly said:

If we've learned anything it is that Norm is the real ******* here.

TRUTH.
powerbelly
AG
They should have forced norm to do one hour once or twice a week about 5 years ago.

dcAg
Norm has been around the block several times. From play by play announcing to his short-lived stint on ESPN. He as seen a lot and has a lot of contracts. But he gives me tired head.

Also, my guess is that Norm hardly watches any sports at all but reads the DMN and Ft. Worth Star for his show.
The Collective
AG
dave94 said:

I do get that. I've wondered how much time they spend outside of show time on prep, planning, doing other business items for the station. It'd be interesting if that is fully disclosed.
Nagler
AG
The Collective said:

dave94 said:

I do get that. I've wondered how much time they spend outside of show time on prep, planning, doing other business items for the station. It'd be interesting if that is fully disclosed.

I think that varies widely depending on who it is.

I also think they all do a hell of a lot less prep than they used to with the exception of Jake who I think puts in a ton of time outside of the show.
ac04
of course gordon knows what mike and jer made (at least approximately) and knew what mike was implying with the every other week reminders. he was asking those questions for the audience's benefit, not himself.

we went over this in the meeting, he's doing the show for the P1s (obviously).
double aught
AG
Jake works hard, but man does he come across as smug occasionally. Like yesterday: he went off on how baseball caps on girls was a bad look and was dismissive and almost condescending of anyone who dared think otherwise (which was pretty much everyone else on the show). It was an odd little moment.
The Collective
AG
I think that is Jake's bit though. He is kind of a grown up version of the argumentative teen character.
agmag90
These are my exact listening habits/preferences as well
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Did anyone hear the HL segment yesterday regarding Rittenhouse and A&M? Had just gotten into a coworker's truck and Corby was talking about football players beating him up. I didn't hear much because of a work conversation but what was he basing that on?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Rittenhouse isn't coming to A&M. That was standard Corby whose research on any college related story is based entirely on what he read on an OU message board
AgLaw
AG
double aught said:

Jake works hard, but man does he come across as smug occasionally. Like yesterday: he went off on how baseball caps on girls was a bad look and was dismissive and almost condescending of anyone who dared think otherwise (which was pretty much everyone else on the show). It was an odd little moment.
I like Jake most of the time, but sometimes he heads into Skip territory with his HSOs.

He's a ***** online, though.
double aught
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Rittenhouse isn't coming to A&M. That was standard Corby whose research on any college related story is based entirely on what he read on an OU message board
Well, Rittenhouse himself said he was going to A&M on a podcast or something. He later backtracked and said Blinn after A&M denied that he had been admitted.

Sounds like he'll fit right in at Blinn by claiming A&M.
AgGrad99
AG
Corby doesnt seem like he does any research. I cant think of a time where he's come to a segment armed with facts and stats to discuss a subject. Even when he does E-News, he's often very obviously reading it for the first time.

Speaking of E-News, I used to really like that segment. But it's kind of devolved into the same thing every day. A Top 5 list, some box office numbers along with a story about someone I dont care about. Every once in a while a story about a band that him and Danny like. Maybe its just me...just getting older.

Bob obviously does a TON of research outside the show. I wondered how they'd do, working together. Seems like they have a pretty good balance. But they could really use a third voice to pull them offsides from time to time. I would have loved to add Sirios to that mix.

First Page Last Page
Page 381 of 572

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.