Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,249,774 Views | 19987 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by chupacabra tacos
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nagler said:

Sorry it hurt Mike's feelings but at the end of the day most people don't turn into the station to listen to him.

Yes because nothing screams ratings bonanza like Craig Miller talking about home tours or his days playing nerf basketball alone in his bedroom as a friendless youth.
DannyDuberstein
AG
What they lost was a guy whose personality type and on air style exemplified what made the station great from 1994 to 2014. Between getting old, comfortable, FCC rules, #metoo, etc, so many of these guys have mellowed
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
powerbelly said:

amg405 said:

Just checking to remind everyone how trash the Ticket is now. Radio is dead.

Top 5 sports podcasts are all better every. single. day. than the Ticket.

Try Pardon My Take for a week and tell me it isn't 100% better than the Ticket.
All the barstool stuff is so bad.

I've never listened to any of the barstool stuff so I can't comment on that but for anyone who is not a longtime P1 I would venture to say the ticket is so bad.

Outside of Bob (and Jake specifically talking NBA) the sports talk (or any topic where you have even a passing knowledge of) emanating from the ticket on a daily basis is about the lowest rung imaginable and it's gone sharply downhill the last 2+ years. The one thing they always had going for them from an entertainment standpoint is how non-PC they were. They were funny so you overlooked their glaring shortcomings. Then they all somehow turned into PC principal over the past two years and I sometimes wonder about the super fanboys on this thread that still listen all day, every day and defend the station. Have they ever listened to anything else?
powerbelly
AG
Gordon is still better than anything barstool throws out.

Bob is great.

Dan and Jake have high highs but low lows.

I listen to Gordon's morning segments, catch some Dan and Jake, and will look at Bob's runsheet to see if I need to tune in to Hardline segments.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

The rest of the support staff, producers, ticker people, etc, are on lower tiers. Sorry it hurt Mike's feelings but at the end of the day most people don't turn into the station to listen to him.
Disagree. I love listening to him.

He made the point that he was doing more live spots/ads than anyone, maybe ever. That suggests he was in the biggest demand from listeners and sponsors. Yet, he was getting paid like a entry-level position, 15 years in. That's pretty ridiculous.

I dont know if I agree with his comments about Jer. Hard to say without knowing everything Jeremy does. But if Jer, and the other support staff can be easily replaced...it makes sense that the Station wouldnt pay them more. But Mike? That guy was a great on-air personality, and likely your next host. You need to make sure you retain your talent like that, and not pay him way less than he's worth to the station.
Just Tired
WC87 said:

I always thought the Tier 1 talk was incredibly condescending and I know in my line of work could violate HR policy. Can you imagine openly discussing grouping of employees in tiers, and then doing that on air? And I'm not talking exempt vs non-exempt. Slotting a coworker with a Tier 4 tag and yourself as Tier 1 would never fly at my company. We all know employees are in pay bands but that's not open discussion fodder, and certainly not broadcast to the world.

actually based on dan's interactions with julie i would say there are definitely things you CAN say on air that wouldn't fly in normal interaction.
AgGrad99
AG

Are there Tiers on the station? Sure...just like there are within every organization that existed in history. But most of us wouldn't walk around talking about it, or pointing it out to our co-workers, like Junior does. That's very Chris-Chris of him.

Curious if Junior continues to mention the Tiers, now that he knows it's so offensive to the others.
mavsfan4ever
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

The rest of the support staff, producers, ticker people, etc, are on lower tiers. Sorry it hurt Mike's feelings but at the end of the day most people don't turn into the station to listen to him.
Disagree. I love listening to him.

He made the point that he was doing more live spots/ads than anyone, maybe ever. That suggests he was in the biggest demand from listeners and sponsors. Yet, he was getting paid like a entry-level position, 15 years in. That's pretty ridiculous.

I dont know if I agree with his comments about Jer. Hard to say without knowing everything Jeremy does. But if Jer, and the other support staff can be easily replaced...it makes sense that the Station wouldnt pay them more. But Mike? That guy was a great on-air personality, and likely your next host. You need to make sure you retain your talent like that, and not pay him way less than he's worth to the station.

Agree with this. He was by far my favorite on air personality, and that's even with him being bogged down from norm or whatver awful dry dock host he would get paired with. I'd venture to guess he's the favorite of many other listeners as well. The ad spots seem to prove that.

Also, I know Sirois isn't as young as he seems. But out of the on air personalities he was by far the best at relating to the younger audience in the key age demographic, which the radio station should care about.
Decay
AG
Junior might not mention tiers but I'm sure he will continue to admire the smell of his own ****
Phat32
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Are there Tiers on the station? Sure...just like there are within every organization that existed in history. But most of us wouldn't walk around talking about it, or pointing it out to our co-workers, like Junior does. That's very Chris-Chris of him.

Curious if Junior continues to mention the Tiers, now that he knows it's so offensive to the others.
Correct. Every organization has them, but I don't belittle those beneath my tier publicly. May have been cute at first but they clearly didn't find it funny anymore.
MW03
AG
While I am sure that Sirois' popularity was a reason why he got so much live spot and ad work, and I am also fairly sure that his scale was probably significantly lower than "tier 1" when it came to that kind of stuff. to paraphrase Danny, I bet Sirois was the perfect "large pizza at a medium price" when it came to that kind of stuff.

Bones08
AG
Phat32 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Correct. Every organization has them, but I don't belittle those beneath my tier publicly. May have been cute at first but they clearly didn't find it funny anymore.
Yea, it's the epitome of punching down when it comes from Junior.

Also the one big flaw in Junior's tier system is only having Tier 2 unoccupied. Based on recent pay scale revelations I would say it's more accurate that Tier 2, 3, and 4 are all unoccupied and maybe the rest of station people start trickling in around Tier 5.
dcAg
I heard that Mike was making $45k but they gave an idiot $250k.

Dont know if it was Jake or Corby.

The Ticket is going to "Rue the Day!"...
AgLaw
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

What they lost was a guy whose personality type and on air style exemplified what made the station great from 1994 to 2014.
I agree with this. Sirois has a Gordon-like personality that draws in listeners. Exactly the kind of talent they should have nurtured to take over as hosts start to move along. Paying him now to ensure a smooth transition once Norm leaves seems like it would have been money well spent.
AgGrad99
AG
MW03 said:

While I am sure that Sirois' popularity was a reason why he got so much live spot and ad work, and I am also fairly sure that his scale was probably significantly lower than "tier 1" when it came to that kind of stuff. to paraphrase Danny, I bet Sirois was the perfect "large pizza at a medium price" when it came to that kind of stuff.

Maybe.

But there is a reason he was in such high demand, and not Jeremy or Mino, etc.
Stive
AG
I always took Junior's tier talk as something he did on air as a bit. If he was actually doing that kind of stuff in the cubicles (and according to the Twitch recaps here he was), that's a pretty high level of sorriness.
Bones08
AG
MW03 said:

They kinda talked about this a bit on Saturday night. How The Ticket advertise their producer positions as on-air personalities, which can be a pretty cool incentive when you are up-and-coming in the radio business ("I get to be on the radio!").

But then that incentive evolves over time as the producers grow more popular because they are on-air personalities while still getting paid the same as a producer at another station who may not be an on-air personality.

So a person may initially prefer the job over another radio job because of the opportunity to be on-the-air but then could potentially grow to resent it as they grow to believe they aren't adequately paid for pulling a double duty of sorts. The whole large pizza for medium pizza price thing.
AgLaw
AG
dcAg said:

I've been wondering how much - if any - of this is tied back to Jake being "out" earlier in the spring. Pretty sure he was holding out for more money. If he's the idiot referenced above, I can see why guys like Danny and Sirois would just say F it and take off.
powerbelly
AG
AgLaw said:

dcAg said:

I've been wondering how much - if any - of this is tied back to Jake being "out" earlier in the spring. Pretty sure he was holding out for more money. If he's the idiot referenced above, I can see why guys like Danny and Sirois would just say F it and take off.
He has confirmed that it was a contract holdout on IJB.
Hincemm
AG
Stive said:

I always took Junior's tier talk as something he did on air as a bit. If he was actually doing that kind of stuff in the cubicles (and according to the Twitch recaps here he was), that's a pretty high level of sorriness.

I think it is/was a bit. But like many of their bits, it revealed more truth than they care to admit.
J.P. 03
AG
What sucks about the apparent lack of funds to pay on-air talent is that I don't really see a way to remedy it with more money (unless executives/Tier 1 hosts are really hoarding a massive chunk of the pie and not sharing) since radio listenership and ad revenue is only going one direction: down.

As a consumer, would you be willing to tolerate/pay for:

1) A monthly subscription to a premium version of the SportsDay app with the ability to rewind more than 1 hour
2) An official Ticket archive that let you listen to any segments from the past 7 or 30 days
3) Shorter commercial breaks but replaced with more live spots/plugs DURING segments like they used to do on TV back in the 60s and 70s. In other words, read 2 stories for Muse in the News but then stop to do a live read before proceeding with another story.

I also think they should reduce all the weekend shows to 1 hour back-back from 8-noon on Saturday morning, then just simulcast whatever live sports are happening after that. If the producers/Tier 3 guys can't fill 1 hour a week with riveting (or even listenable, if we're honest) content, they should be kept on a very short leash and cycled through until they can find someone else with potential.

(By the way, if your answer to most/all of the above is "no," then you can see the predicament Cumulus is in).

MW03
AG
Quote:

What sucks about the apparent lack of funds to pay on-air talent is that I don't really see a way to remedy it with more money (unless executives/Tier 1 hosts are really hoarding a massive chunk of the pie and not sharing) since radio listenership and ad revenue is only going one direction: down.

It's an interesting "sports adjacent" question: would anyone at the ticket take a hometown discount a la Dirk to make sure that the bench and supporting cast can be stronger? My guess is no, because they aren't chasing championships. In the end, it's a job like any other. One of the perks they all enjoy is that they love going to work. Lots of people work lots of jobs making less money than they could elsewhere because they love what they do. When that love is outweighed by salary concerns or what they want from life, they move on. We can all agree that it's short-sighted of cumulus because they are losing talent, but we also don't know how strapped that company actually is. Like this post I quoted mentions, terrestrial radio isn't the money maker it once was. Maybe they legitimately can't pay substantially more for these positions.
powerbelly
AG
I think they are constrained by corporate. Most producers under the cumulus umbrella are probably $45k guys.
FincAg
AG
Oh my, Jake just walked into

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/five-tampa-bay-rays-players-decline-to-wear-lgbtq-logo-on-uniform-during-pride-night-celebration/

and took the side of the players.

Good for him.
'03ag
Note: Brooks Raley(Ag) is one of the players.
Just Tired
just a passing reference but no surprise that dan was the one to even acknowledge on air this happened.
C1NRB
AG
MW03 said:

Quote:

It's an interesting "sports adjacent" question: would anyone at the ticket take a hometown discount a la Dirk to make sure that the bench and supporting cast can be stronger? My guess is no, because they aren't chasing championships. In the end, it's a job like any other. One of the perks they all enjoy is that they love going to work. Lots of people work lots of jobs making less money than they could elsewhere because they love what they do. When that love is outweighed by salary concerns or what they want from life, they move on. We can all agree that it's short-sighted of cumulus because they are losing talent, but we also don't know how strapped that company actually is. Like this post I quoted mentions, terrestrial radio isn't the money maker it once was. Maybe they legitimately can't pay substantially more for these positions.
I watched the Gordon/Mike Saturday night Twitch and the brief pre-break segment Mike and Cash did on ONE T1ME Sunday afternoon where the "broke down the film" from Saturday night.

Your point I bolded above is the point I think Mike was kinda/sorta trying to make. If the Little Ticket was still the Little Ticket I think they would be taking care of their own. But they aren't the Little Ticket. They're a Cumulus Media Station. And Cumulus Media Stations have a Corporate Pay Chart/Structure for various positions they apply to all their stations, regardless of how much those holding said positions "contribute" on the air.
But at some point, paying your dues doesn't pay your bills, so you move on. He mentioned he was a finalist to replace Danny, but turned it down because the time commitment would mean he couldn't work gigs at The Well Creative any more and the (slight) pay bump would mean an overall pay CUT.
I sincerely hope he can come back and do Boom in the House full time with Donovan someday but until then I think he'll do fine with Cash & Co.
AgGrad99
AG
That's all true, but even most corporations recognize the benefit of keeping talented employees around and compensate them accordingly.

It sounds like there isnt much between entry-level and on air talent, salary-wise. That's not a recipe for success. It's kind of amazing they've held onto the talent they have, for so long.
The Collective
AG
The only positive is I know that Fernando probably doesn't make $50k. And, I guess I have to admit that just makes me smile.
The Collective
AG
Also, makes me sad that Jer probably did have to spend all of his money on Wrestlemania... perhaps Cash hooked him up.
NukeAg10
AG
Decay said:

Junior might not mention tiers but I'm sure he will continue to admire the smell of his own ****

He's a typical white guilt, elitist ****** that fails to see the irony in his bull**** spewings.
BoomGoesThe
dcAg said:

If you're referencing the twitch video, I remember Mike saying that he knows idiots out there making $200k. I think he was just talking about people in general, not speaking about anyone at the ticket.

I quit listening 3 or 4 years ago (after being a P-1 for almost 15 years), but Sirois was my favorite personality at the station.
Spaceship
AG
Didn't Mikey just get back from like a 2 week vacation in Italy? Not sure how he afforded that on a $45k salary but I do love him using all his PTO before resigning.
MW03
AG
Been listening to the twitch stream throughout the day, and yall weren't kidding about this being uncomfortable. I think Gordon got a little offended.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Spaceship said:

Didn't Mikey just get back from like a 2 week vacation in Italy? Not sure how he afforded that on a $45k salary but I do love him using all his PTO before resigning.

My guess is that Cash covered a chunk and then credit cards the rest. And those credit card bills coming due may have played a role in timing
First Page Last Page
Page 380 of 572

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.