Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,248,483 Views | 19986 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by J.P. 03
Law Hall 69-72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He doesn't want to go, so he didn't say anything.
752bro4
AG
Not the parade of homes Junior wants to attend.
C1NRB
AG
MasonB said:

C1NRB - you won the Okie School of Adventure giveaway from the outdoors forum.

If you can message me through Facebook at OkieSchoolofAdventure - I need your shirt size and address.

Thanks!
Cool. I don't Facebook, but I found Okie School on Twitter and started following. DM me there and I'll get back to you.
ac04
jan mcdowell sounds like a simpsons character
Phat32
AG
Jesus Corby let it rest a second before you get into gun control
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Phat32 said:

Jesus Corby let it rest a second before you get into gun control

The next original thought that enters Corby's brain will be the first.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There are 120 guns for every 100 US residents (and I'm counting day old babies and 105 year old ladies in that). Even if you are dumb enough to believe gun control would work in theory, that horse left the barn a long time ago. The guns are already out there and bad actors will always be able to find one
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
It's not really the place for this discussion, but continuing to do nothing clearly isn't working. Unless you're a fan of dead children, I guess.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

It's not really the place for this discussion, but continuing to do nothing clearly isn't working. Unless you're a fan of dead children, I guess.

Take away guns and those kids will die by knife attack, vehicle, bombing, etc. like the rest of the world does. Taking away guns solves nothing if you don't get to the root issue. Besides...are you naive enough to think if we implemented "gun control" every bad actor who wants to do harm wouldn't be able to get one? All you're advocating for is for good people to be completely helpless.

Oh...and this was some bull****.

Quote:

Unless you're a fan of dead children, I guess.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/murder-homicide-rate

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3671740
Demasiado
AG
It's not taking away guns, it's having a honest discussion about possible solutions. 90% of Americans support universal background checks....
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Jeez, so we can't even agree that something (anything) should try to be done? Politics ****ing sucks. Again, not the place for this.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Haven't caught much of the Hardline the last couple days. Who's filing in for Danny as producer?
dallasag_123
Quote:

Take away guns
There is really no in between? Doing something like maybe background checks (no, that will NOT solve crime and there will still be gun deaths but might help at least on the margins) and take away guns? and that was some bull*****
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG

Jeez, so we can't even agree that something (anything) should try to be done? Politics ****ing sucks. Again, not the place for this.

Agreed politics suck. That's why I posted the bolded.

Quote:

Taking away guns solves nothing if you don't get to the root issue
Demasiado
AG

Haven't caught much of the Hardline the last couple days. Who's filing in for Danny as producer?

Jacob detamore has been producing. He seems a'ight
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you want to save lives, lock away the looney birds.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There's 400 million guns out there already. Background check away or ban guns entirely, and that isn't doing squat. See Chicago. There are far fewer looney birds. This is basic math
double aught
AG
Let's do both to increase the odds of success.
Ervin Burrell
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

If you want to save lives, lock away the looney birds.
Problem is, you don't know who the looney ones are until it's too late. And if you do identify one before they do something sick, the same people saying "lock up the crazies" will be saying "the government is abusing its power and locking this person up for no reason other than they support X (as long as it's something they too support, of course)."
Stive
AG
The kids at Columbine got their guns through someone else. The Sandyhook guy killed his mother and stole her gun. The Vegas shooter bought all of his legally and would have passed all of his background checks. If this guy is 18 with a handgun how did he get it? What would have shown up on his record that would have prevented him from getting it? Tons of these guys don't have any sort of record prior to going off the deep end.

Insane asylums used to be a thing and now the most you can expect at a state hospital is 30 days before the judge has to do a full reevaluation. We don't handle our mentally I'll well at all. We force the schools to keep them (unless they commit a felony associated with the school), we dump them on the street, the hospitals and police are expected to "manage them". Until you figure out some way to manage the nutcases you can have all the universal background checks you want and it won't solve much of anything.
MW03
AG
I've wondered what would happen if you made the person who negligently allowed a gun to end up in the hands of a perpetrator an accessory to the crime that was committed. Sold to someone you shouldn't have, failed to lock a gun away from a child, didn't report a gun stolen, etc. I wonder if you'd see better firearm security and diligence. I don't know if that would have made a difference in this scenario given the criminal's age.
The Pilot
AG
The answer probably requires some give n take from both sides but each side is so entrenched with their solution that I don't know if anything changes.
dallasag_123
Because not having them has worked? You are right in that it will not solve the problem. But, my God, if stops one of these is it not worth it?
Decay
AG
dallasag_123 said:

Because not having them has worked? You are right in that it will not solve the problem. But, my God, if stops one of these is it not worth it?

We should ban all cars! If it stops just one car accident, is it not worth it?
DannyDuberstein
AG
dallasag_123 said:

Chicago is exhibit A of how extremely strict gun control does absolutely nothing to stop bad actors
Hincemm
AG
not worth it
Stive
AG
dallasag_123 said:

People that take the mindset of "well….we have to do something" are reacting emotionally. I get emotions are part of all of us but IMHO they're not why/how laws should be created and implemented.

Humans are tricky creatures. One kid dies per month and we get sad but we don't react. The same dozen kids die in an hour and we think we have to rewrite laws.

Shootings like this make me sick, I can't imagine what the parents and community are going through, and the shooter was absolutely evil to the core. That being said, logic and math says that these situations are outliers and I'm not motivated to adopt redundant laws and rules and that start to creep in on individual freedoms.
Decay
AG
Hincemm said:

not worth it
It would save thousands more children's lives than guns
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Stive said:

dallasag_123 said:

People that take the mindset of "well….we have to do something" are reacting emotionally. I get emotions are part of all of us but IMHO they're not why/how laws should be created and implemented.
There have been 200 "mass shootings" (not only school shootings) in less than 5 months in 2022. There isn't enough time between them for any reaction to not be considered an "emotional reaction". So in an effort to not react emotionally, we should continue to do nothing.

Anywho, have we gotten segment recapping Dwaine Caraway's Mavs watch party?
FincAg
AG
Are all the shootings in Deep Ellum counted in that stat? It is gunfire in a crowded area. And aren't shootings within so many miles of a school even after school hours considered a school shooting?

Statistics can be misleading, not saying you're wrong but each side twists them for their own argument.
BoomGoesThe
Can you please provide the definition you're using for "mass shooting"?
bthotugigem05
AG
Plenty of threads on the Politics board to hash out the gun control stuff.
Stive
AG
What Boom said. You should probably look up the definition of "mass shootings" that they're using to throw around that stat.
PatAg
AG
Regarding mental health aspect of it, it is somewhat interesting that we have made so many advances medicine but seemingly very little progress when it comes to this discipline.
double aught
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Plenty of threads on the Politics board to hash out the gun control stuff.
Not that I'm advocating thread derailing, but you'll find much more reasonable and thoughtful minds on this thread
First Page Last Page
Page 370 of 572

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.