Metroplex
Sponsored by

1310 The Ticket - Hardline Question

2,242,151 Views | 19952 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by FincAg
Old Tom Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doesn't want to live where there is a team that drives ratings while constantly churning out material and headlines (oftentimes embarrassing which is a plus if you don't like them) to discuss. Okay
Ervin Burrell
AG
ac04 said:

good, sounds exactly like the kind of pompous dork i don't want anywhere near the station.

Sounds like a loudmouth from the coast, shoutin us down.
Just Tired
even in d&j's absence the station had been playing the hangzone open. think today was the first time they didn't.
Hincemm
AG
didn't play it yesterday either i believe. this lines up with the email circulating suggesting that resignations went in yesterday.

so...let's play hypotheticals:

- 530-10: Musers
- 10-12: donnie & sean (maybe monty)
- 12-3: maybe monty & dj
- 3-7: HL

the most interesting internal moves are monty, sean, and mino. only one of those is fit for host, imo, and that's monty.

and then there's the external hire. that opens a can of worms for sure.

these moves may define cat's legacy...(without sounding overdramatic)
walton91
Assuming they don't shuffle the deck, bringing in someone to pair with Donny leans to keeping it in house with a bench player like Monty or elevating Davey. A completely empty slot noon-3 makes an external hire(s) completely possible. I just don't think Mino or DJ are host level and don't like Sean or Ty as hosts at all. If they do go external, I just don't want them to bring in a sports guy like Cowlishaw or JJT
thriller03
AG
As an alternative, maybe Donnie pushes to the 12-3 window with another in-house riding shotgun, and they bring in a "sportsy" outsider - even of local ilk - to be the new Norm. Cowlishaw or somebody like that carrying the Norm torch makes some sense if they go that route. Problem is, the 12-3 window takes a bigger hit. But, unless HZ lands in direct competition, you are still only up against B&S and then whoever the Fan is rolling out (honestly no idea).

I know he just signed on with the Freak for weekends, but I'd honestly have gotten behind a Marc Stein 10-12 show. Would've been pretty NBA heavy (good by me) and a lot of soccer, but I think he could've done the other sports and he's got the local ties.

t - cam
AG
thriller03 said:

As an alternative, maybe Donnie pushes to the 12-3 window with another in-house riding shotgun, and they bring in a "sportsy" outsider - even of local ilk - to be the new Norm. Cowlishaw or somebody like that carrying the Norm torch makes some sense if they go that route. Problem is, the 12-3 window takes a bigger hit. But, unless HZ lands in direct competition, you are still only up against B&S and then whoever the Fan is rolling out (honestly no idea).

I know he just signed on with the Freak for weekends, but I'd honestly have gotten behind a Marc Stein 10-12 show. Would've been pretty NBA heavy (good by me) and a lot of soccer, but I think he could've done the other sports and he's got the local ties.

Cowlishaw is a lot older than you may guess. Maybe Marc stein would do something like that? Kind of an annoying voice though.
thriller03
AG
Good point about Cowlishaw's age. I'd personally rather see somebody else slide to 12-3 (Work in Progress probably) and see Donnie + somebody stay 10-12. Just thinking that might be the best way to fill both slots now.

Hincemm
AG
Hincemm said:

didn't play it yesterday either i believe.
i guess they did play it yesterday and ended with rhyner 3-2-1...
Hincemm
AG
cowlishaw is a non-starter for me.

don't know much about stein...but this is a football town, so there's that
Old Tom Morris
I could see Donnie and Monty 12-3 and new blood 10-12. Donnie and Monty are a really odd pairing tho, but of the talent they have on staff, those two are the only capable IMO
Chewy
AG
Cowlishaw isn't going to stoop to a local AM sports show. His ego won't let him as he sees himself as a national commentator.

This sure feels like the beginning of the end for The Ticket.

The Musers are the only true OGs left. When one of them decides to hang it up it's totally done. Depending on their financial situations I could see them gone in the next 2-5 years.

Is Junior's wife still working where he can be a stay at home dad? I have to imagine he's socked a TON of money away with his lifestyle.

That's not a knock but just a realization of a lifelong bachelor with pretty simple tastes other than bicycles and a few other things. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have $2-$3 million sitting in fairly liquid accounts somewhere. He might even have more.
Rudyjax
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

ac04 said:

good, sounds exactly like the kind of pompous dork i don't want anywhere near the station.

Sounds like a loudmouth from the coast, shoutin us down.

I was just pointing out that they're reaching out.

He was kidding to his sister.

He is happy where he is at until the dream job opens.

thriller03
AG
Celebrity Net Worth, the website billionaires trust everyday, shows Junior at $3.5M.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Cat-man totally mis-played this entire succession plan over the past 2 years.

BAD should have moved to drive time after Ryner's departure.

Corby should have been demoted to a mid-day show.

Norm should have been forced to retire 1-2 years earlier to give Sirois a slot.

ETA:
Cat's loyalty to Corby is probably the crux of all of this mess.
WC87
AG
We need someone whose gonna take calls and rip someone on a daily basis.

t - cam
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

Cat-man totally mis-played this entire succession plan over the past 2 years.

BAD should have moved to drive time after Ryner's departure.

Corby should have been demoted to a mid-day show.

Norm should have been forced to retire 1-2 years earlier to give Sirois a slot.

Lots of swirling rumors as well that Mike was sort of forced out as well. I get that his time slot was a lot more coveted than norms but was shocked that he may have been the first to be asked to speed up his timeline.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Dan just retweeted this…
gkharmon98
So did Jake and the official Hang Zone acct
dave94
AG
I'm so scared.
t - cam
AG
It's already done guys.
WC87
AG
Dan can probably get another gig. Jake, wondering what his strength may be? As a producer? He's good at cutting audio. His thoughts aren't nuanced at all, and he's not naturally funny. But I guess Dan needs a straight man if they are getting into podcasting.
Jack Klompus
AG
I wish we knew.
Nagler
AG
WC87 said:

Dan can probably get another gig. Jake, wondering what his strength may be? As a producer? He's good at cutting audio. His thoughts aren't nuanced at all, and he's not naturally funny. But I guess Dan needs a straight man if they are getting into podcasting.

Jake will find a spot somewhere. He's got sports knowledge and will put in the work. I would say he's not naturally un-funny either.

Jake probably has the brightest future of anyone at the Ticket.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Surely they have something lined up. Just not sure what that could be.

This may be the end of most of my Ticket listening. I listen to just about every episode of the HZ, usually a day or two behind. It's by far my favorite show, although I do actually like the new Hardline as long as I can fast forward through certain segments.

If they go the podcast route, I may give it a try. But even if they do the same type of show on a podcast, it won't be nearly as entertaining as the HZ. Without the back and forth with the other shows/hosts/producers, and without constantly talking about Ticket events, what happens on other shows, etc, a podcast won't be the same. I don't think they realize how much content the Ticket itself gives their shows.

And if they do a podcast, it better not have 2-3 audio segments a day. If I tune into the first episode and they have even one audio segment, I'll never listen to another episode again.
AG
https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/07/the-ticket-kemp-mcdowell-1310/
Old Tom Morris
Dan as the breadwinner with college kids isn't bailing after 24 years without another deal in hand. So is it the Freak, Fan, podcasting, or other? Not sure, but I assume Freak or Fan. I don't see the Freak surviving without a big move to steal a show, and this may be it.
Hincemm
AG
makes it official
thriller03
AG
These are good points. The interconnective tissue helps a lot. That said, they can also broaden their audience I guess if they go towards a podcast.

Anybody know where other contracts stand? I seem to recall something from Sturm recently (I think on Twitter) that he was re-upping. That would be pretty in line with the BaD Radio near-miss from a few years back in the summer time frame (and also aligns with Dan's contract being up now).
Ervin Burrell
AG
If they pursue a podcast, it makes me wonder just how much (read: little) they were actually being paid by Cumulus...or I'm just severely underestimating how much that duo could make doing a podcast. In other words, I can't imagine a standalone podcast being more lucrative than what they were/could get paid by Cumulus but I'll admit I'm a bit out of my depth here.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, i just don't see local guys only podcasting. Maybe they'll also do podcasts in some unique approach. I feel like they have something dofferent they want to do, and one of these other two stations is willing to let them do it and pay them healthily to host a regular show as well. The Freak is more desperate based on ratings and trying to get a foothold, but I wouldn't rule out the Fan either
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

If they pursue a podcast, it makes me wonder just how much (read: little) they were actually being paid by Cumulus...or I'm just severely underestimating how much that duo could make doing a podcast. In other words, I can't imagine a standalone podcast being more lucrative than what they were/could get paid by Cumulus but I'll admit I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Same thoughts for me.

Nothing against either of them but I would never listen. Too many other good options in that space.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, i just don't see local guys only podcasting. Maybe they'll also do podcasts in some unique approach. I feel like they have something dofferent they want to do, and one of these other two stations is willing to let them do it and pay them healthily to host a regular show as well
My thoughts as well. They're both still relatively young (especially Jake, obviously) and see how terrestrial radio continues to die, and would like to work somewhere that will also offer them a side hustle.
MavsAg
AG
Guess I'm in the minority here, but I would absolutely pay $5-$10/month for a HZ or ticket-esk podcast. Being able to listen to any segment at any point a day after the show would be great. All we get right now is a crappy top 10.

I've always thought they should go the podcasting route. Radio is dying. No one under 40 listens to the radio these days, yet they all listen to multiple podcasts. Why can't Dan and Jake take the leap and start building a localized Barstool of sorts?
East Dallas Ag
AG
I know they've speculated about "why can't we recreate the Ticket online/streaming" and I could see them giving this a try, it doesn't take too many monthly subscribers at $10/month to support a small team, then throw in some sponsorship/ad $. Not sure if I would pay or not but a theoretical uncensored Dan and Jake could be pretty entertaining.
First Page Last Page
Page 485 of 571

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.