Metroplex
Sponsored by

Ft Worth Recs

6,600 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Streetfighter 02
OAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I would post here for the locals. We are visiting Ft. Worth for the first time in 30 years in a couple of weeks. Would love to get some recs on the best places to eat. We will be staying near Dickie's Arena and plan to visit the Stockyards one day. Specifically looking for food that is not done well in in the PacNW (chicken fried steak, BBQ and TexMex). Any recs would be greatly appreciated.!
zag213004
AG
Goldees. Voted best barbeque in Texas. Never had it myself given how expensive any barbeque is. Heim barbeque is good. Also Babes restaurant has 3-4 locations (original is in Roanoke) for your fried chicken and chicken fried steak needs. Perry's for Friday at lunch(make reservations) for $16 pork chop. Best pork chop I've ever had in my life. They have many locations throughout texas
zag213004
AG
If you are looking for a date night coyote drive-in. Is in downtown and is pretty cool
PatAg
AG
zwhag2010 said:

Goldees. Voted best barbeque in Texas. Never had it myself given how expensive any barbeque is. Heim barbeque is good. Also Babes restaurant has 3-4 locations (original is in Roanoke) for your fried chicken and chicken fried steak needs. Perry's for Friday at lunch(make reservations) for $16 pork chop. Best pork chop I've ever had in my life. They have many locations throughout texas
Dayne's BBQ, Friday/Sat/Sun mornings.
PatAg
AG
Enchiladas Ole off of Forest Park, south of the zoo
fwag04
AG
For Mexican food, Los Asadores heading towards the stockyards is not fancy but pretty good. If you want an experience but mediocre food, Joe T's and sit outside. The line will probably be an hour long, get a pitcher of rocks margaritas and enjoy the experience. The food is nothing special, but the patio is outstanding. Another option would be Pappasito's

For BBQ, Panther City BBQ over off South Main is great. Other options near there would be Heim off Magnolia or Hurtado BBQ that just opened off 8th Ave and Rosedale (old Derek Allen's place).

For Chicken Fried Steak, Reata in Downtown or Lucille's off Camp Bowie are supposed to be good, but I haven't tried them there. The Brand Room in the stockyards is supposed to have one similar to Horseshoe Hill, which was my favorite in Fort Worth, but haven't tried that one yet either.
hoosier-daddy
Paloma Suerte in the stockyards is fantastic
Matsui
AG
I live here in FtW...

BBQ:
Panther City (made TX Monthly Top 10)
Heim
Hurtado

Stockyards Area:
Hookers Grill - burgers/chicken fried steak
Provender Hall
97 West inside Hotel Drover
Sidesaddle Saloon for small bites/drinks
Second Rodeo Brewing
No good BBQ in stockyards AND DO NOT EAT AT Joe T's.

Tex-Mex:
Paco's (Sundance Square or Magnolia)
Enchiladas Ole (mole is their specialty)
Mi Cocina (Mambo Taxi's and Tex-Mex)
Masero (Clearkfork area)
Meso Maya (Hulen)

I'm not well versed on chicken fried steak, but do agree with the Reata suggestion for "southwestern" food. It is downtown.

Near Dickies Arena:
Taco Heads - kind of upscale tacos and Tex-Mex
Michael's Cuisine
Hotel Drye has a cool lobby bar that could work for a drink or two
DO NOT GO TO RAILHEAD BBQ near Dickies Arena
Maestro Tacos - excellent birria tacos and margaritas (I'd suggest this for casual lunch/supper)
Don Artemio - really fancy Mexican food their spot in Mexico named one of the top restaurants in Mexico; get the cabrito and also get the nopales tacos for an appetizer
Matsui
AG
There are no Perry's in Fort Worth. It is all of the way in Southlake. 30 miles
Goldee's you need to be prepared to wait 3-4 hours in line to get your BBQ
There is a Babe's in Burleson and in Roanoke and in North Richland Hills. Neither close to where they will be.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Consistent and good Tex Mex: Los Vaqueros Stockyards (Live music weekend nights)
I haven't had a great experience at Paco's on three attempts. RIP Paco & John's.

Best BBQ is Dayne's Craft BBQ but it's a hike since they moved. I wouldn't attempt Goldee's. You'll wait in a very long line and they could run out. Panther City is excellent excellent with the brisket elotes. I haven't been to Hurtado.

If you want a steak I would suggest Clay Pigeon as a local, unique, restaurant.

Interior Mexican I agree with the Don Artemio rec but it's $$$$.

Just all around great food at Lili's on Magnolia. Gorgonzola burger and fries is one of the most underrated burgers in town.

Salsa Limon Museo for breakfast tacos.

Caf Modern for brunch Sunday and check out the Modern and Kimbell art museums. We have amazing art museums here.

After dinner drinks I would look at The Usual or Nickel City. Hotel Dryce lobby bar is also a nice setting.
OAg
AG
Wow! Thanks all. This is exactly the info I needed. TexAgs knows stuff!
Corps_Ag12
AG
BBQ:
1. Panther City
2. Dayne's
3. Probably Hurtado, haven't had it though
4. Goldee's

Railhead & Angleo's are average cheap BBQ if you're not a snob about it. Most people go there for the cold schooners of draft beer though. I don't care what Texas Monthly says, Goldee's brisket was subpar at best when I went and I was the 10th person in line so it should of been exceptional. Tasted like i was eating at Cousin's.

Mexican food is a toss up. It depends on what kind you like because we have so many varieties. I would not go to Enchilada's Ole personally because the service is abysmal and the food is meh. If you're trying to stay around Dickie's then Taco Heads, Don Artemio, and Paco's downtown are good choices. You could always also drive up to the stockyards for Vaqueros or Lay Playa Maya. Joe T's is good if you only like fajitas or cheese enchiladas (only thing they serve on the weekends except for brunch) but most people don't taste their food because they are there for the strong margaritas.
The Shank Ag
If you want Joe T's, without the hassle of going to Joe T's, go to Esperanzas off of 8th Ave. It's about 3-4 miles from Dickies, near the hospital district. You can get the Joe T's staples (The enchiladas, Nacho, Tacos), plus a full menu as well. Same family
Proposition Joe
If you're talking about TacoHeads prior to a show at Dickies, be prepared for a wait. It's the only restaurant within reasonable walking distance to the arena (and the service is routinely slow).
hoosier-daddy
nm. confused Esperanzas w Blue Mesa
mosdefn14
AG
Glad y'all hate railhead. It's too crowded anyway. To me it's perfect... Price is more than right, brisket is solid, potato salad has plenty of mustard, fried turkey and papas con cebollas are money, and sub $2 drafts... Come on now.

Enchiladas ole was much better when it was east of 35. I give it a meh since moving to park hill.

Since la familia got done wrong, we haven't settled on our go to Mexican restaurant, which is sad. Mi Cocina has the best chips, salsa, and mambos. Esperanza's is probably where we go the most. For tacos near Dickies sure is hard to beat Melis.

The original Kincaid's still makes a great burger.

Lucile's does have a great CFS and a good breakfast.
Sims
AG
Little bit out of your way but I enjoy breakfast at Swiss pastry shop on Vickery.
Buford Tannen
AG
Tex-Mex: you're going to get mixed reviews on this but I like the Original on Camp Bowie. Been open since the 1920s I believe. Near the Stockyards: Asadero is good, as is Los Paisanos. Joe Ts is an experience, but you won't be wowed by the food. Enchiladas Ole is a steal.

CFS: Lucile's on Camp Bowie, West Side Cafe

BBQ: Panther City, Heim, Hurtado, Woodshed near the Colonial is right on the river and has some BBQ-type options.

Burgers: Kincaids, Roy Pope, I've heard the Quick Way right across Montgomery from Dickies makes an excellent burger, Charley's on Granbury Rd

Breakfast: Paris Coffee Shop, Montgomery St Cafe, Vickery Cafe, Swiss Pastry, Yogi's on Hulen, Ol South is a landmark but there are better options.
_lefraud_
AG
Rogers Roundhouse makes a damn good burger, and several other things on the menu are worth trying.
Corps_Ag12
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Glad y'all hate railhead. It's too crowded anyway. To me it's perfect... Price is more than right, brisket is solid, potato salad has plenty of mustard, fried turkey and papas con cebollas are money, and sub $2 drafts... Come on now.

Enchiladas ole was much better when it was east of 35. I give it a meh since moving to park hill.

Since la familia got done wrong, we haven't settled on our go to Mexican restaurant, which is sad. Mi Cocina has the best chips, salsa, and mambos. Esperanza's is probably where we go the most. For tacos near Dickies sure is hard to beat Melis.

The original Kincaid's still makes a great burger.

Lucile's does have a great CFS and a good breakfast.

&ct=g
AgOutsideAustin
AG
OAg said:

Wow! Thanks all. This is exactly the info I needed. TexAgs knows stuff!

Don't know the other places and screw waiting in a long line for bbq. Go to Hurtado, the new one on 8th street I believe in Fort Worth. Best plate of bbq from meat to sides to sauce I have had in a very long time.

TexAggee05
AG
Just go to Joe Ts. Bring cash.
george07
AG
Agree about Hurtado, tried it last week and it was great. The line wasn't long at all, I thought it would be. Definitely recommend.
hoosier-daddy
also not in the exact area but a short uber away
https://ngbc.beer/

aggie owned and operated
PatAg
AG
george07 said:

Agree about Hurtado, tried it last week and it was great. The line wasn't long at all, I thought it would be. Definitely recommend.
Thee main one is in arlington, not sure how long the one in Fort Worth has been open for.
george07
AG
It just opened 2 weeks ago
ravingfans
AG
Hiem BBQ is great.

go see the rodeo at Colton Cowtown Coliseum in the stockyards--well worth it!

Edit--stinkin spellchecker changed Cowtown to Colton!!
Cranch69
AG
If you are staying near Dickies, go to Lucille's for CFS on Camp Bowie Blvd. Great salads, seafood and Martinis.
Cranch69
AG
Also, near Dickies is The Original Mexican Restaurant which is across from Lucille's.
ravingfans
AG
Forgot to include Kincaid's Hamburgers off of Camp Bowie! Best Burger in Texas.

The location off Hulen is not so great IMHO...
grego
AG
albatross said:

Tex-Mex: you're going to get mixed reviews on this but I like the Original on Camp Bowie. Been open since the 1920s I believe. Near the Stockyards: Asadero is good, as is Los Paisanos. Joe Ts is an experience, but you won't be wowed by the food. Enchiladas Ole is a steal.

CFS: Lucile's on Camp Bowie, West Side Cafe

BBQ: Panther City, Heim, Hurtado, Woodshed near the Colonial is right on the river and has some BBQ-type options.

Burgers: Kincaids, Roy Pope, I've heard the Quick Way right across Montgomery from Dickies makes an excellent burger, Charley's on Granbury Rd

Breakfast: Paris Coffee Shop, Montgomery St Cafe, Vickery Cafe, Swiss Pastry, Yogi's on Hulen, Ol South is a landmark but there are better options.
Damn near spot on.
Buford Tannen
AG
Thanks - FW born and raised, live in Overton Park now, and also like food so it all works
Proposition Joe
Most of these recommendations are great.

Except for The Original.

No matter how in vogue it somehow became in the last 15 years, it's still trash. If Caros rose from their restaurant grave, I'd eat that ****ty joint before The Original.
Proposition Joe
Burger: Best Burger is still Rodeo Goat's Chaca Oaxaca and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. For just a regular burger, I'd lean towards Kincaids. We've eaten Charlie's since the day it's opened, but I've never really considered it that great a burger (and don't care for any of their specialty burgers).

Mexican: Tex-Mex, we're Uncle Julios people. Didn't care for it growing up, but love it now. Fancy Mexican - Tinies on the south side (same ownership group as Tacoheads/SideSaddle). Fancy Fancy Mexican - Don Artemio.

Pizza: Cane Rosso. Zoli's for the same pizza but cheaper. Parton's if you're slumming it. Mamas is a shell of it's former self.

Asian: Hanabi for ramen. Taste of Asia if going for cheap/value. Little Lily for sushi. Tokyo Cafe (aggie owned I believe) for a variety of options in a suburban mom environment. If you're by Beach Street go to Hong Thong and have the little lady make you fried chicken and sticky rice. Thai Select for cheap/good thai food... though I'm certain the same family owns 6 restaurants under different names.

Steak: Grace. Exotic meats go with Lonesome Dove or Bonnell's (and choose a side in Fort Worth's chef battle).

Chicken and Dumplings with Mac and Cheese as both "vegetables": West Side Cafe
Buford Tannen
AG
Fair enough - most of my ties to it are nostalgia, but the nachos, tortilla soup, and rice and beans are fantastic. The other stuff is hit or miss but when you've been going there almost 40 years.....
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.