Metroplex
Sponsored by

Six Flags OT and the can of Coke?

5,009 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MrCoachEricTaylor
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Six Flags

Texas Cliffhanger. Put a penny on your knee and watch it float as you dropped. Good times but we were easily amused back then. And you waited in line without a cell phone attached to you. Ask a kid to do that now.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Red Rover said:

We got season passes last year and it was one of the best things for the kids. Got them again this year and we've gone at least 5 times already. It's definitely aged, but I've been really surprised by relative friendliness of the workers and the lower amount of riff-raff clientele. The lines have been short or non-existent on most rides during the mornings as well.

The only downside is I can't ride the big coasters back to back to back anymore without feeling crappy or having headaches. I have to throw in a break or a minetrain ride with my older kids. Getting older is not for the weak.

I lived 20-25 minutes away but never got a seasons pass. Never really had a way to get there until I started driving. By then, I wasn't interested in going more than maybe once a season, which is what usually happened. And yes, we did the coke can thing. My dad also got free tickets through his work once a year, I believe, that I sold to friends. So I probably went 1-3x a year between jr. high and high school, depending on what was going on (friends going, church events, etc.).

It was fun, but honestly, since they weren't open but summer (except for spring break) and I both worked and had other summer activities, I really didn't have a lot of time. Plus, dropping $20 each time, including food, would have put a dent in my (very low) budget. Cash was tight and my entertainment spending came from me, not my parents.

Besides, at the time we would go to Whitewater (water park in Grand Prairie) or later, Wet 'n Wild long before we'd go to Six Flags. Whether it was a date or a group of us, I think it was cheaper and more fun. If a group, we could all horse around together. At Six Flags, you almost always ended up separated in groups over 4. One June, I think between my Jr. and Sr. year, we went out to Whitewater like 6-7 times over a 3 week period. Started out with like 5 or 6 of us and by the last time, we had 15 or more!

Great times!
bco2003
AG
Kind of interesting history on Grand Prairie's White Water.

Quote:

The park was originally built and developed in 1982 by Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation as "White Water" in the Grand Prairie Entertainment district, along with Lion Country Safari and the Palace of Wax.

The site was purchased and closed by Wet 'n Wild Inc. at the end of 1985 to reduce competition at their park 5 miles (8.0 km) away in nearby Arlington, Texas. The closure was condemned by the city council who were granted a restraining order preventing dismantling of the park. The council dropped their attempt to gain control of the park after a task force determined that it would be too expensive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Fun_Park
ChipFTAC01
AG
bco2003 said:

Kind of interesting history on Grand Prairie's White Water.

Quote:

The park was originally built and developed in 1982 by Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation as "White Water" in the Grand Prairie Entertainment district, along with Lion Country Safari and the Palace of Wax.

The site was purchased and closed by Wet 'n Wild Inc. at the end of 1985 to reduce competition at their park 5 miles (8.0 km) away in nearby Arlington, Texas. The closure was condemned by the city council who were granted a restraining order preventing dismantling of the park. The council dropped their attempt to gain control of the park after a task force determined that it would be too expensive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Fun_Park

I went to that Boardwalk for a lock-in. I think it was after a football game so it would have been that fall. I vaguely remember conversations about a kid getting killed. I must have been there right after they were killed and before they shut down for good.
The Collective
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

And you waited in line without a cell phone attached to you. Ask a kid to do that now.

Ask an adult to do it.
Proposition Joe
Need more info - we got Merry Melodies on the tvs or no?
J.P. 03
AG
Anybody else who's viewed this thread seeing this ad as they browse around the web now? Well played, Google. Well played:

hoosier-daddy
Nah I'm likely being amazed on F16 too much to get that ad.
clobby
AG
Going tomorrow, pray for me. Do you need the speed pass on a weekday?
MrCoachEricTaylor
I went a couple weeks ago on a Friday morning and me and the father in law rode everything we had wanted by 1:00-2:00
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.