Metroplex
Sponsored by

Six Flags OT and the can of Coke?

5,011 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MrCoachEricTaylor
MrCoachEricTaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to SixFlags OT this weekend and was wondering if you can still take an empty coke can for a discount. Wondering if anyone has any insight!
bbattbq01
AG
Pretty sure they've torn out the ticket booths and you have to buy tickets online ahead of time……. So I doubt it.
hoosier-daddy
Man that's a blast from the past. I remember the coke cans with six flags advertisement & discounts on them. And I grew up 100 miles from dfw.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Me too man! I grew up in CSTAT but my mom lived up in Dallas. Every summer we'd buy season passes and spend all summer at Six Flags!
hph6203
AG
Fairly certain I just bought a can with Six Flags advertisements a on it, but it's been a couple of weeks. They also say $5 discount for a can online. Think the discount for just buying online in advance is more at $11.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Yeah, ended up price at the gate was $80, but buying online after processing fees comes out to about $50 a ticket. Luckily I have a sister that worked for HEB and was able to get an even better discount than the coke can would've!

Long story short it's a lot harder to enjoy as an adult vs as a kid lol
AW 1880
AG
Thumbs up for the username.
The Collective
AG
This thread made m think… Six Flags is probably pure hell this weekend.
Buford Tannen
AG
Used to get season passes in the summers in the 90s and have a blast. Six Flags is absolutely disgusting now.
MrCoachEricTaylor
It was definitely rough. Luckily we went Friday morning and were done by 2:00. Then ate some grub at Bombshells, then caught the rangers game in some nice 72 degree AC.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I was really expecting it to be pretty gross, but I was very surprised.
J.P. 03
AG
The Collective said:

Do they still have that ride where you can go stand on the bridge and get splashed by boats hitting the water? That was the best way to keep cool on a hot summer day...especially when you were 12 and didn't have to worry about ruining the $1000 phone in your pocket if you got soaked.
DannyDuberstein
AG
LOL. The good old days. That wall of water would soak every inch of your ass.

I think it's been gone for several years now, but they are building a much more extreme water coaster called Aquaman on that spot. I think it was supposed to be done in 2020 but covid effed it all up. They are saying 2022 now but it's not open yet, so that seems to be getting doubtful too.
harge57
AG
J.P. 03 said:

The Collective said:

Do they still have that ride where you can go stand on the bridge and get splashed by boats hitting the water? That was the best way to keep cool on a hot summer day...especially when you were 12 and didn't have to worry about ruining the $1000 phone in your pocket if you got soaked.

I had a phrase for this growing up. It was the"six flags walk".

It would soak you through to your underwear which would not dry out. Between that and the heat and humidity you would rub your groin raw walking around the park.

Everyone at the end of the day was walking around like they were in a wild west shootout with their feet 3 feet wide.
hoosier-daddy
Then the swamp sock smell for the drive home. The worst.
J.P. 03
AG
I'm loving the combination of nostalgia and PTSD all rolled into one. Denim shorts and cotton tighty whities were a lethal combination on that walk back to the car.

Found this on YouTube. Fast-forward to the 1:30 mark to relive your childhood glory:

(Definitely wasn't branded Aquaman when I was a kid, but if that's what it looked like after the "renovation," then I think I understand why they tore it down)
Quinn
AG
Man, this thread is really giving me morbid curiosity to go to Six Flags, grab a pink thing (probably not around anymore), and see the chaos it has become. Probably haven't been there since 2002 or 2003 I'd bet.
The Collective
AG
That bridge was the best when you were dying in the heat. The worst was the c*** tease Log Ride where you would wait for 1 hour hoping to cool down only to never get splashed once.
Buford Tannen
AG
Yeah lots of nostalgia about the Splash Waterfalls bridge, log ride, the Giant when it first opened, Mr. Freeze, the bobsled, and the indoor coaster, Runaway Mountain. They even had a flight simulator where the seats moved around in sync with the show like you were flying a fighter jet or something. We used to roll in about 10am, ride a few rides, grab some grub at Gator McGee's, knock out a few more coasters, down a Surge Cola, and then peace out around 4. All summer. Now it's just a gigantic concrete pit of filth and sadness. It breaks my heart and definitely tarnishes some of my childhood.
Jack Ruby
Is it mostly riff-raff clientele, or have the rides and attractions fallen into disrepair?
Decay
AG
I'd assume people are still using it as a daycare so kids run wild all day
Fenrir
albatross said:

Yeah lots of nostalgia about the Splash Waterfalls bridge, log ride, the Giant when it first opened, Mr. Freeze, the bobsled, and the indoor coaster, Runaway Mountain. They even had a flight simulator where the seats moved around in sync with the show like you were flying a fighter jet or something. We used to roll in about 10am, ride a few rides, grab some grub at Gator McGee's, knock out a few more coasters, down a Surge Cola, and then peace out around 4. All summer. Now it's just a gigantic concrete pit of filth and sadness. It breaks my heart and definitely tarnishes some of my childhood.

The jet ride was about chuck Yeager if I recall correctly. I loved that ride.

The roaring rapids ride was pretty decent for getting wet.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Quinn said:

Man, this thread is really giving me morbid curiosity to go to Six Flags, grab a pink thing (probably not around anymore), and see the chaos it has become. Probably haven't been there since 2002 or 2003 I'd bet.
Pink thing is now pink dippin dots. Not even close to the real thing just sucks.
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
hoosier-daddy
My memory may fail me, but I don't recall it looking like trinity river water 25 years ago.
Buford Tannen
AG
Yeah that's right. I think it was called the right stuff and your mission was to break the sound barrier and hit Mach 1 or something.
Quinn
AG
Fenrir said:

albatross said:

The jet ride was about chuck Yeager if I recall correctly. I loved that ride.

The roaring rapids ride was pretty decent for getting wet.

It was also pretty decent for dying, if you're into that.
MrCoachEricTaylor
They still have the pink things, I can confirm.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I was so envious of kids that lived close enough to have season passes. At 2 hours away I was lucky if I got to go once a year. We'd hit 2 or 3 rangers games a year at Arlington stadium. Dad would always say "garrelli 5000, if we lived close enough I'd but season tickets."

Well, let's move mofo! That didn't work….
Take the trash out staff.
Red Rover
AG
We got season passes last year and it was one of the best things for the kids. Got them again this year and we've gone at least 5 times already. It's definitely aged, but I've been really surprised by relative friendliness of the workers and the lower amount of riff-raff clientele. The lines have been short or non-existent on most rides during the mornings as well.

The only downside is I can't ride the big coasters back to back to back anymore without feeling crappy or having headaches. I have to throw in a break or a minetrain ride with my older kids. Getting older is not for the weak.
Red Rover
AG
hoosier-daddy said:

My memory may fail me, but I don't recall it looking like trinity river water 25 years ago.

Per my mother, it was gross back 35-40 years as well. It's like a Chuck e Cheese, it seemed fine when you're a kid, but now as an adult you realize how gross all of that is.

I worked at six flags one year in highschool in the 90's and that was the first time I remember noticing the nasty blue water
hph6203
AG
hoosier-daddy said:

It was absolutely disgusting.
FWAppraiser
AG
I was going to take my kiddos one day this summer and saw the hours of 11-8. Didn't they used to be open 10-10? Seems like they were when I was growing up. (Not that I'm looking to spend 12 hours there; just curious).
Proposition Joe
You guys didn't just go and camp out underneath the bathroom hand dryer after the splash bridge to dry off?

Amateurs.
DannyDuberstein
AG
FWAppraiser said:

I was going to take my kiddos one day this summer and saw the hours of 11-8. Didn't they used to be open 10-10? Seems like they were when I was growing up. (Not that I'm looking to spend 12 hours there; just curious).

Thank covid worker shortages. Like the mall and so many other things, operating hours can now be covered with one shift.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I can't soeak to the riff-raff aspect, but our company rented the park out for a Friday night every fall for many years, and I always thought the park held up well. Didn't seem any more dirty or janky than it did when I was a kid in the 80s, and they did a decent job of periodically refreshing with new rides. That said, we haven't rented it out for 2 years now and I'm afraid that event may be gone for good.

Sad since we had so many great fall evenings out there with my kids for close to 15 years. My oldest was 3 and youngest not born when we started this, now they are 19 and 15. Our visit was like getting a gauge on how much they were growing up, starting from spending almost the entire evening in Looney Tune land, then growing to where they were riding the crazy stuff that I finally got too old for.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.