Metroplex
Sponsored by

2022 DCAD

10,867 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 752bro4
AggieFactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe it is for the life of the property, but we will find out next year. We have been in the house for 12 years, 11 of which we have had the homestead exemption. This is the first year they have had to enact the cap along with the standard exemption.
Ervin Burrell
AG
drewser95 said:

Changed it effective January 1, 2022 to allow homebuyers to file for homestead exemptions in the year when they purchase the property.
That's not my question though - when does the 10% cap begin to take effect if you bought last year and were granted homestead this year?
drewser95
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

drewser95 said:

Changed it effective January 1, 2022 to allow homebuyers to file for homestead exemptions in the year when they purchase the property.
That's not my question though - when does the 10% cap begin to take effect if you bought last year and were granted homestead this year?
Ahh gotcha, sorry. Yeah -- my understanding is that the homestead cap takes effect the year after you receive the homestead exemption (like you said in your earlier post).
YouBet
AG
Williamson County average appraisal increase is 42%.
SoTheySay
S
Up 20% in east Dallas

And we lost all exemptions because it's no longer our primary. This years gonna hurt a little. Thankful for our rent increase so we can break even… I guess.
Ervin Burrell
AG
drewser95 said:

Ervin Burrell said:

drewser95 said:

Ahh gotcha, sorry. Yeah -- my understanding is that the homestead cap takes effect the year after you receive the homestead exemption (like you said in your earlier post).

No worries. Thanks for answering
94DallasAG
AG
I guess I'm lucky it only went up 18% in Preston Hollow (Jesuit neighborhood) considering all the 5000 Sq ft McMansions going up
double aught
AG
I had been looking forward to having my mortgage paid off in the next six years or so. But the way things are going , I'll probably just knock my monthly tax payment back down to my original house note.
StateofTexas
AG
Mine went up 4% in Lakewood and is probably appraised at 65% of actual market value. Hard to protest that.
powerbelly
AG
StateofTexas said:

Mine went up 4% in Lakewood and is probably appraised at 65% of actual market value. Hard to protest that.
Do you have compromising pictures of the DCAD board?
bco2003
AG
Joining the party from Denton county. Up 30% overall. 19% increase for land. 35% for improvement.
YouBet
AG
powerbelly said:

StateofTexas said:

Do you have compromising pictures of the DCAD board?
Especially in Lakewood. That is shocking.
StateofTexas
AG
We bought it 10 years ago and have completely redone it on the inside, so they may not realize its a better CDU. Still, surprises me it is that low.
L8HIT
AG
Appraised value went up 37%, I'm in Frisco.
GAC06
AG
Bought a lot in Aledo to flee Dallas county, closed in January. Got notice today that they appraised it $95,000 more than we paid three months ago. Neat.
hph6203
AG
There's oil in them hills.
GAC06
AG
That should be a slam dunk protest right? Here's my closing price from three months ago on an unimproved lot?
powerbelly
AG
GAC06 said:

That should be a slam dunk protest right? Here's my closing price from three months ago on an unimproved lot?
I wouldn't count on it.
Fenrir
GAC06 said:

Email the CAD and ask for copy of appraisal card and comps. Parker didn't appraise this year so that should be what the property was appraised at for last year.

Parker is probably more likely to go with what you paid if it's below appraised value than other DFW CADs, but you should probably make sure they don't have some bad assumptions before showing your cards.
GAC06
AG
Notice says it's for Jan 1 2022
Fenrir
I get that but they do not appraise every year. If you look on their website you can pull up the property by address and see what it was.

Either way, check the info they have on file and their comps before showing what you paid.
GAC06
AG
Thanks I'll try that. It's a new development but they do have a prior year's value listed
riverrataggie
AG
The person I use to fight this stuff thinks she can get it lowered, mine only went up 2% here in Lakewood. Agreement is if she doesn't save her fees she will do it next year for free. I have been using her for ten years. I'm sitting back with popcorn to see what she can do.

This would be truly impressive.
hbc07
AG
YouBet said:

I got email from Texas Tax Protest this morning about this years filing. They are adding a new $50 surcharge due on the front end before they ever go fight it.

That's not good because that means they expect to lose most of their fights.
That's weird. I received emails from them offering for me to pay the fee for one year, and they would provide two years of protests.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

+16% homestead
+9% rental

Hard to argue, but will still fight them both.

Small victory, but homestead was reduced via ARB, after my online submission was rejected. It was initially a +16% to now a +12%, with improvements being all of the increase (from +33% to +25%) I argued unequal value, the house across the street sold in 2021, same desirability, same SqFt, lost its homestead, and had an increase of 10.5% total (+25% improvements, no change in land). My assessed value is still more than my capped value, and I'll get nothing this year out of this reduction, but hopefully it'll pay off next year.
mncag
GarlandAg2012 said:

Up 31% in Lakewood. Weirdly my lot is down about 10%
They changed the methodology for my lot, it used to be just a flat valuation and now is $/sf. Structure is 2.43x what it was last year. Total BS.

Did you protest. I'm in Lakewood Heights I'm looking for any tips that someone in my area may have used I have one of the older houses with some updates oh, I think they're killing me because I did an addition above my garage
YouBet
AG
Haven't heard back from TTP yet on ours.
2wealfth Man
AG
YouBet said:

nor mine; Tiffany Hamil. They did let me know they had a whole stack of protests to work through with DCAD so I guess it is taking more time as DCAD has to do this process with a slew of firms and a record number of protests. Like others have said; any reduction helps slow the compounding on the year over year increases we are seeing.
riverrataggie
AG
riverrataggie said:

Mine only went up 2% here in Lakewood. Hahaha!

I'm fighting this and asking for money back over the past years! This proves they have been shafting me over the past number of years!

See y'all in court!

So got notice they dropped mine. Win win! Couldn't believe it as they dropped it just below 2021. Net reduction this year.
YouBet
AG
riverrataggie said:

riverrataggie said:

Mine only went up 2% here in Lakewood. Hahaha!

I'm fighting this and asking for money back over the past years! This proves they have been shafting me over the past number of years!

See y'all in court!

So got notice they dropped mine. Win win! Couldn't believe it as they dropped it just below 2021. Net reduction this year.
CoppellAg93
AG
I haven't received the official letter from them yet - but I expected an increase since my re-evaluation years had been 2018 and 2020. Mine still shows last year's value online though. Not sure what to think - other than I guess I'll take the hit next year.
hbc07
AG
YouBet said:

I haven't yet either, but looking on DCAD it looks like our proposed valuation has changed resulting in a ~21% increase instead of ~29%. I guess I'll take what I can get.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
YouBet
AG
hbc07 said:

YouBet said:

I haven't yet either, but looking on DCAD it looks like our proposed valuation has changed resulting in a ~21% increase instead of ~29%. I guess I'll take what I can get.
Good heads up. I just checked mine and my "new" value on there is $90K lower than it was before I filed protest.

Went from 20% increase to 8%. Hopefully, that holds.
2wealfth Man
AG
2wealfth Man said:

YouBet said:

nor mine; Tiffany Hamil. They did let me know they had a whole stack of protests to work through with DCAD so I guess it is taking more time as DCAD has to do this process with a slew of firms and a record number of protests. Like others have said; any reduction helps slow the compounding on the year over year increases we are seeing.
just found out that my appraisal got reduced 5% from the initial proposed value at the review hearing (initial increase was just north of 15%). That is going to work out to be roughly 10%; not altogether happy but at least the growth in value has been checked somewhat. At these kind of valuation growth rates we are going to be eaten alive in a few years time.
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

752bro4 said:

+16% homestead
+9% rental

Hard to argue, but will still fight them both.

Small victory, but homestead was reduced via ARB, after my online submission was rejected. It was initially a +16% to now a +12%, with improvements being all of the increase (from +33% to +25%) I argued unequal value, the house across the street sold in 2021, same desirability, same SqFt, lost its homestead, and had an increase of 10.5% total (+25% improvements, no change in land). My assessed value is still more than my capped value, and I'll get nothing this year out of this reduction, but hopefully it'll pay off next year.

2nd small victory - got rent house reduced to +6% instead of +9%. Not a huge win, but will save me +/- $350 annually in taxes, depending on final mill rate…all for 20 minutes of online work and a 10 minute phone call today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.