Metroplex
Sponsored by

Good Results from Dallas Police Chief

1,952 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fc2112
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Year-end Dallas stats show an impressive drop in violent crime. How did Chief Eddie Garcia do it?

Quote:

Dallas police Chief Eddie Garcia, a smooth politician who knows how to stay on offense -- and off defense swears that he deserves little credit for the dramatic 2021 drop in violent crime in his newly adopted hometown. "It's on the back of our men and women," he told me repeatedly over coffee a few days ago. "We're not where we want to be. There will be challenging times ahead."

But this top cop, a blue-collar kind of chief with a cheerleader-like enthusiasm that belies his 30 years of experience, knows he's had a strong rookie season in Dallas. Garcia's mandate was simple but not easy: Reduce violent crime.

With just a few days left in 2021 -- and in a year when most big U.S. cities posted big increases in violence -- here's where things stand in Dallas:

Violent crime has dropped 9% over the previous year -- and 12% since Garcia's prevention plan was implemented in early May. This year's tally of 220 homicide victims is a 12% drop from the 250 in 2020.

Garcia told me the department is every bit as proud of another statistic: "You haven't seen a spike in arrests." In fact, arrests have gone down by almost 5%.

"That tells us we are targeting the right individuals -- not all individuals," Garcia said. "Our goal to be laser-focused on violent crime looks to be working."

YouBet
AG
Great news. That murder rate is half of our siblings in Houston. Wow.

It also helps that you have a Mayor whose #1 passion topic is crime and safety. It's about all he's been talking about since he was elected. We went from defunding the police by ~100 officers (against his wishes) to adding 500 just a year later because he went on a rampage about it.

edit: FTR, Houston proper has 1M more people than Dallas proper so some of that difference is just scale.
752bro4
AG
We're talking to the number one cop in Dallas, the #1 cop, the commissioner, chief of police, Eddie Garcia.

What umm, do you like this gig?
TMACsDaMan
I love my job!
rebag00
AG
That wasn't the question!
BIMS O1
AG
But do you like your job?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
walton91
rebag00 said:

That wasn't the question!
Still makes me laugh
DannyDuberstein
AG
Was impressed with the guy from the first interview I saw him do. Glad to see the results
TMan86
AG
A gargantuan upgrade over the previous chief. That's probably an understatement.
riverrataggie
AG
Congrats to the chief. Shown tremendous leadership.
fc2112
I think he's just out there kicking criminal ass himself.

bthotugigem05
AG
Was taking photos at a SOC playoff game and saw an officer tossing a football with one of the ball boys for SOC. Just now realized it was the chief.
YouBet
AG
TMan86 said:

A gargantuan upgrade over the previous chief. That's probably an understatement.
Possibly a top 5 understatement of all time. I'm not sure you can talk bad about her enough.

How many top 10 cities have had their police chief literally disappear from the job and public life for months on end with zero explanation given? Just completely abdicated her job and was not held accountable for it.
double aught
AG
We'll, she's gone. So I guess she was held accountable?
YouBet
AG
double aught said:

She was allowed to leave on her own. She should have been fired publicly and harshly.
akaggie05
AG
fc2112 said:

I think he's just out there kicking criminal ass himself.

Saw an article from shortly after he was hired that talked about how he liked to ride along on patrols, and had even gotten in a foot chase or two.
Robert C. Christian
AG
double aught said:

Sort of, but in the months she wasn't actively in office it was practically a non-story.
DannyDuberstein
AG
People were afraid to criticize Chief Eyelashes out of fear of being labeled a racist
Ol Jock 99
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Was taking photos at a SOC playoff game and saw an officer tossing a football with one of the ball boys for SOC. Just now realized it was the chief.

Here is why he always wears long sleeves when on duty:

fc2112
That's quite the gun show the Chief is putting on there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.