Metroplex
Sponsored by

Have you received your Denton County tax appraisal?

4,468 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jpd301
20ags08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got our appraisal in the mail a few weeks ago. Went up over the 10% allowed but they brought it down to the max.

The noted appraisal was 347k but it was listed as 324k which would have been the max it could increase. It gave me the option to protest online and give what I thought the appraisal should be. I put 295 because that's what it was last year, they came back with 305 and I accepted.

I didn't have to take photos at all like I did previous years.

Last year I hired an outside company for $400, if they didn't save you at least $400 on your taxes then they gave you back the difference. They got it from 310 to the 295.

MW03
AG
Can I ask what the time frame was between submitting your appeal and then them countering?
Rubble
AG
Buyers of our house said they'll pay cash if the appraisal comes in low. Don't give two ****s about protesting this year
20ags08
AG
I signed up online to protest on May 28th and they sent me a settlement offer on June 8th.
atm0812
AG
First time protester here making sure the offer I'm getting is as good as I think.

Denton County tried to raise our home value from $448,041 in 2020 (bought it for $440,000 in 2019) to $490,236.

I protested, and they came back offering $460,000.

It seems like I should call that a win and take it. Is it worth fighting longer hoping to bring it even lower?
BosAG06
AG
atm0812 said:

First time protester here making sure the offer I'm getting is as good as I think.

Denton County tried to raise our home value from $448,041 in 2020 (bought it for $440,000 in 2019) to $490,236.

I protested, and they came back offering $460,000.

It seems like I should call that a win and take it. Is it worth fighting longer hoping to bring it even lower?

They went from 375 to 433 on us. I protested at 410 based upon an appraisal in Oct '19 for a refinance. They only came down to 420k. I accepted. Saves me no $ this year since they are already over our Homestead cap by 21k but at least it's starting at a lower value next.
bbattbq01
AG
I filed protest June 15th and still haven't heard back. I just submitted a ticket to check on status and make sure something didn't get lost with their new system. They're usually much faster with responses.
bbattbq01
AG
Got a response today, they offered same as appraisal I had done in December for a refi that I had attached as evidence.
Rubble
AG
We got an appraisal for what was offered on our house. I'm not complaining, because it's way more than the tax office said. We closed a week ago.
oldschool87
AG
jpd301 said:

TXAggieMom11 said:

I just read on Nextdoor they will be mailed on 5/14. It is delayed due to software changes and damage from frozen pipes in February.
Software changes is an understatement... make sure you review your data.

Quote:

The original conversion time was estimated to be four weeks, but the data was so inaccurate and cryptic that it instead took the software company four months. Four months in our industry might as well have been a lifetime. Our software finally came back on line in January of 2021, but the issues did not stop there. As hard as the software company tried, they could not transfer all the data back over in its original form. So now our staff (who were already four months behind) are having to go in and manually calculate roughly 480,000 accounts in Denton County, while looking for errors and making corrections. They are redoing thousands of sketches that got deleted, rebuilding tables and schedules that could not be converted, and redoing exemptions that got left off in the transfer. The list is endless.

I tell you all that to say, 2021 is not going to be an easy year for the Denton Central Appraisal District. It will be bumpy and we will be behind schedule. In the last 15 months, we have hired 45 temp employees, 22 full time employees and promoted 10 employees. We have hired database administrators, software programmers and we are contracting with a company that specializes in cleaning up data. Every employee is working a minimum 50 hour week, exempt employees are working 60-70 hour weeks. Things will get done and will get cleaned up, but we still have some challenges to overcome.

As an IT guy. If you have the data, it can be moved. Sorry to hear your manually doing anything.
jpd301
AG
Quote:

As an IT guy. If you have the data, it can be moved. Sorry to hear your manually doing anything.
Not me, the appraisal district did things manually.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.